4.0L Performance - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 4.0L Performance

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 10-18-2005, 01:14 PM   #1
bikemanj7

4.0L Performance

I live at 6200 elevation<lake tahoe> and when i drive my grand around with the 4.0L it is such a slug!!! so i am down in la right now and it is a night and day difference in how it preforms!!! i mean more power, smoother shifting, i can almost get it to burn out! so whats the deal i thought the engine is suposed to automatically adjust for different altitudes? any info on whats going on? i love driving it down here and want her to preform the same at elevation...
thanks- victor

Unread 10-18-2005, 01:19 PM   #2
zj333

this is me guessing buttttt im thinking maybe because the air is thinner at 6200, the jeep is simply not getting enough air, you might want to try a fipk kit or something, thats just me guessing but who knows it could make a big difference. I have the fipk kit and im pretty please with it, i live in richmond virginia so not too much elevation but yeah you get the idea
4 inch rustys lift
35 inch mud rovers
CB etc...
zj333 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-18-2005, 10:44 PM   #3
bikemanj7

ya i was thinkin about getting one of those i just guess its the elvation bummer...
Unread 10-18-2005, 10:52 PM   #4
zj333

yeah i got one, basically for the heck of it, i had a gift certificate i came accross for my birthday (thanks mom and dad) and had nothing else to spend it on so i figured id heard so many good things about it i might as well try it, not toooo big of a difference but it helps a lot in the passing lane, and a little off the line
4 inch rustys lift
35 inch mud rovers
CB etc...
Unread 10-18-2005, 11:12 PM   #5
BlaineWasHere
BecauseRacecar

Trade your Jeep in on one with a V8!
Unread 10-19-2005, 01:06 AM   #6
bikemanj7

i knew i should have got the v8!!!
Unread 10-19-2005, 02:03 AM   #7
iroc22

It's just the difference in the amount of oxygen in the air, the ECU and MAP can only compensate so much.

Cars at drag strips are always faster at sea level rather than elevated drag strips...fuel injected or carbed.
1928 Ford Model A - Street Rod Project
iroc22 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2005, 10:00 AM   #8
zj333

he's right, you can only try to mod the I6 to make it a little better thats what i do!
4 inch rustys lift
35 inch mud rovers
CB etc...
Unread 10-19-2005, 11:32 AM   #9
ChicagoGuy
formerly VetteDriver

2008 JK Wrangler 

The computer can only adjust so much - I have the same issues with mine when I go up to the mountains to go skiing in the winter. Being in Seattle, you can pretty much go from sea level to 5000 ft in a little over an hours drive, and you can feel the Jeep get slower and slower and slower...

IMNSHO, performance with the 4.0 is completely acceptable (despite what the V8 owners tell you ) most of the time, but it admittedly sucks once I get over about 3500ft elevation. Turning off OD when heading up helps too, but I'm also geared wrong.

And I have the FIPKII. Doesn't help all that much by. Sounds cooler though!
Unread 10-19-2005, 11:45 AM   #10
gregmondro

My ZJ is a 4.0l. It does fine here at 5000ft.

I think you're just expecting too much out of the vehicle for what it is.

what is your jeep geared to?
99 Jeep XJ - NP231, SYE, 4.56's, Rear D44 w/ Detroit SoftLocker and a RockCrusher Diff Cover, 35x12.5 BFG A/Ts, RE 5.5" XD Lift, Skidrow TC Skid, ORT Rear Bumper + Carrier, Rigidco Front Winch Bumper + Steering Box Plate, Milemarker 8000 Winch, Rock Sliders, HD Currie Steering, Control Arm Skids, Goferit Tie Rod Flip Insert, Optima Red Top and a few other goodies...
FiveZeroFive
XJ 8.25 Rear End Disc Brake Conversion For Sale!
gregmondro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-19-2005, 11:48 AM   #11
ArloGuthroJeep
Mr. Hyde!

2004 WJ 

How ya think I feel when I go from 5300ft to 11,700 ft to go skiing I push on the gas and it just doesn't move. I can't wait until I am skiing with 5 people + equipment + 31's + 3.55 gears @ nearly 12,000 ft...Might have to ask my buddies to get out and push

-Ryan
Unread 10-19-2005, 12:01 PM   #12
ChicagoGuy
formerly VetteDriver

2008 JK Wrangler 

Don't get me wrong - it still goes fine at 5000 ft. But the difference between 5000+ ft and 0 ft is like night and day. I've been higher with it too, both in the Cascades and up in Whistler, and I got to where I was going, just not as fast...fast being a relative term.

Of course, it's got 500 lbs. of crap bolted on to it and in it - it will never be mistaken for fast. Then again, the V8 boys aren't actually fast either, just less slow.

My real point was that, if you drive it at sea level and then take it to the higher elevations, it will be a noticeable change. Not a problem per se, but still noticeable. Can you run mods to make it better? Sure, to a point, but even then, the mods are more noticeable at sea level too.

Gregmondro said it best - it's an expectations thing.
Unread 10-19-2005, 12:23 PM   #13
bikemanj7

ya im geared at 3.55 and have not moded anything yet. Thanks for all the info guys!
Unread 10-19-2005, 01:00 PM   #14
BlaineWasHere
BecauseRacecar

Quote:
Originally Posted by VetteDriver

Of course, it's got 500 lbs. of crap bolted on to it and in it - it will never be mistaken for fast. Then again, the V8 boys aren't actually fast either, just less slow.

You just say that becuase you have a vette and a S4... All my friends who think they are fast in their Hondas are slow... I'm fast!
Unread 10-19-2005, 01:56 PM   #15
ChicagoGuy
formerly VetteDriver

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
All my friends who think they are fast in their Hondas are slow
Now THAT I agree with!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.