4.0L head bolt loosening sequence? FSM doesn't say. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 4.0L head bolt loosening sequence? FSM doesn't say.

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 05-06-2013, 09:18 AM   #1
AVR2
Web Wheeler
1993 ZJ 

4.0L head bolt loosening sequence? FSM doesn't say.

I'm poised to loosen the head bolts on my 4.0L, but the FSM doesn't specify a sequence for loosening, only for tightening. I guess that means the reverse of the tightening sequence would make sense?

AVR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2013, 09:29 AM   #2
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

No sequence for it. Just take them out as you get to them.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2013, 10:10 AM   #3
AVR2
Web Wheeler
1993 ZJ 

OK, cool. So it really doesn't matter for loosening? A few minutes ago I found a post in the XJ forum here where someone was absolutely definite that you *had* to use the reverse of the tightening sequence or else you'd run a serious risk of warping or cracking the head.
AVR2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.