4.0 ZJ Weird RPM drop - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 4.0 ZJ Weird RPM drop

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 01-14-2014, 06:35 PM   #1
ryanfuscozj
1996 ZJ 

4.0 ZJ Weird RPM drop

Hello all,
This has been an ongoing problem for a few months now and I think it is a vacuum leak but have read that it could be a torque converter issue. When the engine is at normal operating temp. and I am driving through the neighborhood at 25 mph, barely on the gas, the RPM's drop about 500 and go back up to normal every 2 seconds. Also when I am accelerating the same thing happens, the RPMs drop about 500 and go back up until I completely let off the gas. I feel like it is a vacuum leak but I have checked them all and they are secure and not cracking or anything. Thank you in advance.

ryanfuscozj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-03-2014, 06:57 AM   #2
GalarneauWilliam
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanfuscozj View Post
Hello all,
This has been an ongoing problem for a few months now and I think it is a vacuum leak but have read that it could be a torque converter issue. When the engine is at normal operating temp. and I am driving through the neighborhood at 25 mph, barely on the gas, the RPM's drop about 500 and go back up to normal every 2 seconds. Also when I am accelerating the same thing happens, the RPMs drop about 500 and go back up until I completely let off the gas. I feel like it is a vacuum leak but I have checked them all and they are secure and not cracking or anything. Thank you in advance.
I had a similar issue once I found it to be the Throttle Position Sensor. They are about $20 last time I bought one. FYI the bolts holding it in have loctite on them so you may have to take the throttle body off to get it out. It's not that bad.
GalarneauWilliam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2014, 01:38 PM   #3
ryanfuscozj
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by galarneauwillia View Post
I had a similar issue once I found it to be the Throttle Position Sensor. They are about $20 last time I bought one. FYI the bolts holding it in have loctite on them so you may have to take the throttle body off to get it out. It's not that bad.
Finally a response! I appreciate it, I'll go give that a try.

EDIT: I installed a new TPS and unfortunately no luck ....
Unread 02-06-2014, 09:23 AM   #4
GalarneauWilliam
1997 ZJ 

Is your ZJ throwing any error codes?
GalarneauWilliam is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2014, 12:14 PM   #5
JasonStebbins
1997 ZJ 

Sounds like a faulty sensor or power draw from something. Hard to say. What have you replaced maintenance-wise in the last few months?
JasonStebbins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-08-2014, 12:54 PM   #6
ryanfuscozj
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonStebbins View Post
Sounds like a faulty sensor or power draw from something. Hard to say. What have you replaced maintenance-wise in the last few months?
Oh just about everything. Plugs, wires, cap, rotor, distributor, fuel filter, oil change, oil filter, air filter, cleaned TB, TPS, cleaned IAC. I feel like it has to be a fuel delivery problem since its only when I get on the gas.
Unread 02-08-2014, 05:48 PM   #7
JasonStebbins
1997 ZJ 

Have you checked fuel pressure at the rail? Should be 47ish while running. Try unplugging the upstream oxygen sensor and going for a short drive?

Could definitely be a vacuum leak, have you checked all the lines in the bay?
Unread 02-08-2014, 07:27 PM   #8
ryanfuscozj
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Have you checked fuel pressure at the rail? Should be 47ish while running. Try unplugging the upstream oxygen sensor and going for a short drive?

Could definitely be a vacuum leak, have you checked all the lines in the bay?
That was the first thing I checked but nope no vacuum leaks whatsoever. I have not checked the fuel pressure. I do have a fuel pressure gauge from a leftover turbo build, if I hook that up to the fuel rail would that work just as well? CEL came on so I'll see what that code is tomorrow.
Unread 02-08-2014, 07:43 PM   #9
JasonStebbins
1997 ZJ 

It's just a schrader valve on the rail, so the gauge should just screw on.

Ah. That's good. Now you'll know what's wrong hopefully.
Unread 02-12-2014, 10:56 AM   #10
ryanfuscozj
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
It's just a schrader valve on the rail, so the gauge should just screw on.

Ah. That's good. Now you'll know what's wrong hopefully.
Well I had the CEL checked and it was a bad upstream o2 sensor. I replaced it and the RPM's don't drop as much as they did when I accelerated so it certainly helped a little. No more CEL. Still not sure why it is doing this
Unread 02-12-2014, 11:03 AM   #11
JasonStebbins
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Well I had the CEL checked and it was a bad upstream o2 sensor. I replaced it and the RPM's don't drop as much as they did when I accelerated so it certainly helped a little. No more CEL. Still not sure why it is doing this
Did you use a Mopar/NGK sensor or aftermarket? They are hit or miss. Unplug the battery after you did the sensor?
Unread 02-12-2014, 11:13 AM   #12
ryanfuscozj
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Did you use a Mopar/NGK sensor or aftermarket? They are hit or miss. Unplug the battery after you did the sensor?
I bought a Bosch one from O'Reilly's. Yep, unplugged it for about 5 minutes.
Unread 02-12-2014, 11:26 AM   #13
JasonStebbins
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
I bought a Bosch one from O'Reilly's. Yep, unplugged it for about 5 minutes.
Bosch rarely works with our Jeeps. It's a resistance issue.
Unread 02-12-2014, 11:30 AM   #14
ryanfuscozj
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Bosch rarely works with our Jeeps. It's a resistance issue.
What brand would you recommend? I wouldn't mind getting my $60 back for this o2 sensor....
Unread 02-12-2014, 11:34 AM   #15
JasonStebbins
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
What brand would you recommend? I wouldn't mind getting my $60 back for this o2 sensor....
Mopar/NGK are what you will want to get. They are OEM. Most parts stores carry NGK, otherwise RockAuto has them for dirt cheap. That's where I got mine.

This goes for almost all sensors on a ZJ by the way.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.