4.0 ZJ turns over but won't start - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 4.0 ZJ turns over but won't start

Bill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 09-01-2013, 05:15 PM   #46
JBrady5555
1997 ZJ 

I don't even see a asd fuse. Just a relay

JBrady5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2013, 05:36 PM   #47
Speedymcracer01

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBrady5555 View Post

visual check, I could see all of them except the tiny ones. I had to pull them to check.
Try checking them with a fuse tester sometimes they look good but there not
Speedymcracer01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2013, 05:40 PM   #48
Oldfrog
Web Wheeler
1997 ZJ 

Side bar:
It's 97 4.0, right ?
Dont laugh, but how much fuel is in the tank? More than 1/2 tank?
There was a recall on the 97 fuel sending units. They would show 1/4 tank when they were empty.

I'll go outside to my 97 and I.D. the fuse I'm talking about.
Meanwhile...stay with Zeejay's troubleshooting procedure.

Words of wisdom, Posted by Zeejay:
"..it's not air, it is the opposite of air... suckage so to speak."

Stalling? Work through Zeejay's list
Oldfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2013, 05:47 PM   #49
JBrady5555
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedymcracer01 View Post
Try checking them with a fuse tester sometimes they look good but there not
I just did that and everything was good except for the horn fuse but it could have been like that when I bought it, I never checked it before. I actually pulled the cooling fan fuse and put it in the horn fuse spot and it blew that fuse too after the horn made a horrible noise,lol. It's probably been out of commission for awhile. I did notice when I pulled the cooling fan fuse that there was only a prong in one side of the fuse slot. Doesn't that defeat the purpose of having a fuse if only one side plugs into something?

Still puzzled about my problem, I kept my g dad's volt meter so I can check more stuff as I continue to troubleshoot here on jeep forum.
Unread 09-01-2013, 05:53 PM   #50
JBrady5555
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfrog View Post
Side bar:
It's 97 4.0, right ?
Dont laugh, but how much fuel is in the tank? More than 1/2 tank?
There was a recall on the 97 fuel sending units. They would show 1/4 tank when they were empty.

I'll go outside to my 97 and I.D. the fuse I'm talking about.
Meanwhile...stay with Zeejay's troubleshooting procedure.
I was showing over a half tank. It has been that way for a while now though. I had the big sludge thread many weeks ago. Also the freeze plug job thread. Once I got all the work done I filled up the truck, it hasn't seen many miles but has spent slot of time idling in the yard. I don't think it's out though because since it started not running I can't hear the fuel pump priming, even from laying under the tank.
Unread 09-01-2013, 05:54 PM   #51
Speedymcracer01

Quote:

I just did that and everything was good except for the horn fuse but it could have been like that when I bought it, I never checked it before. I actually pulled the cooling fan fuse and put it in the horn fuse spot and it blew that fuse too after the horn made a horrible noise,lol. It's probably been out of commission for awhile. I did notice when I pulled the cooling fan fuse that there was only a prong in one side of the fuse slot. Doesn't that defeat the purpose of having a fuse if only one side plugs into something?

Still puzzled about my problem, I kept my g dad's volt meter so I can check more stuff as I continue to troubleshoot here on jeep forum.
I don't recommend what I'm about to say but i have took the pcm apart and tested the circuits in it with a curcuit tester to determine wether or not the pcm in my 98 zj was my problem when mine did this
Speedymcracer01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2013, 05:55 PM   #52
Oldfrog
Web Wheeler
1997 ZJ 

Ok, the fuse I'm talking about is under hood....and it's the small 15 amp ( blue) one closest to the passenger side and closest to the firewall. Take it out, check it with the ohmmeter and if it's OK, clean the blades and reinstall it.

I just cleaned mine, as well as the blades on the large 40 amp for the ignition. Was surprised at how nasty they had become in less than a year.

Unread 09-01-2013, 06:04 PM   #53
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
I got .16 and .7 on the outer pins. 1.46 in the middle pin.
how did you have your leads configured? just put one lead in each outside socket at the same time and read the voltage.

if you have less than 5 give or take .5 volts, disconect the crank sensor and see if the voltage appears.
ZeeJay1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2013, 06:14 PM   #54
JBrady5555
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeJay1997 View Post
how did you have your leads configured? just put one lead in each outside socket at the same time and read the voltage.

if you have less than 5 give or take .5 volts, disconect the crank sensor and see if the voltage appears.
Ok I'll try that. I had the black lead on the negative and checked the plug with the red. How do I disconnect the crank sensor, where is the plug located?
Unread 09-01-2013, 06:20 PM   #55
Oldfrog
Web Wheeler
1997 ZJ 

Crank sensor plug is located below the oil dipstick on mine...yours may be a little higher.

Unread 09-01-2013, 06:21 PM   #56
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

the connector at the rear of the engine block or on the firewall on the passenger side. theres an area where several bundles come together. find a single connector with three wires. it comes in to this area from the top of the bellhousing.
ZeeJay1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2013, 06:23 PM   #57
JBrady5555
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeJay1997 View Post
the connector at the rear of the engine block or on the firewall on the passenger side. theres an area where several bundles come together. find a single connector with three wires. it comes in to this area from the top of the bellhousing.
Ok it only showed .69 when I checked it the correct way. Gonna disconnect sensor and try right now. Now that I know where crank sensor plug is.
Unread 09-01-2013, 06:33 PM   #58
JBrady5555
1997 ZJ 

After unplugging the crank sensor I got 5 volts at the throttle body plug. What does this mean?
Unread 09-01-2013, 06:39 PM   #59
Oldfrog
Web Wheeler
1997 ZJ 

Bingo ! Crank sensor shorted to ground. Either the wires or the sensor itself.

Unread 09-01-2013, 06:44 PM   #60
JBrady5555
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfrog View Post
Bingo ! Crank sensor shorted to ground. Either the wires or the sensor itself.
What should be my plan of attack on fixing the issue, also looks like the sensor would be hard to change out being on top of bell housing. Wires would be hard to check too all clustered together.

Big thanks to all who helped and a real big thanks to zeejay.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.