4.0 ZJ turns over but won't start - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 4.0 ZJ turns over but won't start

Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 08-31-2013, 01:14 AM   #1
JBrady5555
1997 ZJ 

4.0 ZJ turns over but won't start

Ok fellas about a week ago I went to start my 97 ZJ and all I got was a click from the starter, I checked the battery terminals and spotted a little bit of corrosion so I wiggled the cables and it fired right up the next time I cranked it. It did fine for a week never showing signs of the problem but today it did it again once I got home from running a few errands. This time when I checked the terminals I noticed that they were clean but the wire ends were in bad shape, so I left the terminals hooked to the battery and I loosened and removed the wires from the terminals and cleaned them. As I put the wires back into their respective terminals I could hear and see a little cracking and sparking as I tightend them back down. No doubt this is not the correct way to do this job, I'm still racking my own brain on why I didn't just pull the whole terminal before I removed the wire ends.

Well after I got everything hooked back up I went to see if the truck would turn over. As soon as I hit the key it was turning over awesome, I managed to fix the terminal connection issue. One big problem though......Now it turns over but WON'T START!! I couldn't believe it since its never gave any issue other than the occasional click without turning over. The first thing I noticed was that when I turned the key on I can't hear the fuel pump anymore, even from crawling under the back of the truck. Coincidence that the fuel pump would go out at the same time that I removed the battery terminals? Seems doubtful to me. So I went to the black fuse box by the battery and swapped the fuel pump relay with the two of the other relays, both times I tried it didn't help. Also the other fuses look fine.

This started to lead me to think that the unlikely coincidence of the fuel pump going out at the same time that I was doing the battery work may be a possibility. This was until I jumped onto jeep forum and researched my problem. It seems that unhooking the battery has caused many folks on here to get a lot of weird problems like needing new sensors or fouling up the security system. After researching I did try to key the back hatch and the drivers door in case I had a security issue, this didn't help me. I also tried the key "on, off, on, off, on" thing to pull any engine codes. I couldn't get it to read anything.

Another piece of info that my be useful in figuring out my problem is that when I turn the key to on and the dash lights come on, all the gauges stay on zero. I figured that at least the volt meter would come up to 12, or that the fuel gauge would read the half a tank or so of fuel thats in the ZJ now. It all just doesn't move and the fuel light is actually on but I'm guessing that its just on because the gauge hasn't lifted off of the needle right? I'm positive that its not out of fuel. Well from the info I've given here does anyone know what kind of problem I might be looking at? Thanks for any info.

JBrady5555 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-31-2013, 01:35 AM   #2
wranglinman87yj

It sounds like a blown fuze/relay...
wranglinman87yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-31-2013, 02:15 AM   #3
Speedymcracer01

First of all when you turn the key over does the check engine light come on then go back off like it should
Speedymcracer01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-31-2013, 02:35 AM   #4
Oldfrog
Web Wheeler
1997 ZJ 

Check the ASD fuse under the hood.

Words of wisdom, Posted by Zeejay:
"..it's not air, it is the opposite of air... suckage so to speak."

Stalling? Work through Zeejay's list
Oldfrog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-31-2013, 07:21 AM   #5
JBrady5555
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedymcracer01 View Post
First of all when you turn the key over does the check engine light come on then go back off like it should
No it doesn't come on
Unread 08-31-2013, 07:24 AM   #6
Kingr98
1998 ZJ 

What Oldfrog said. Swap tne ASD relay with another one, but not the fuel pump relay.

Automatic Shutdow Relay is what allows the fuel pump to get that initial two second prime.
Kingr98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-31-2013, 07:42 AM   #7
Speedymcracer01

Well if no check engine light comes on at all not even when you turn the key over then thats your computer mine did the same thing it was a blown fuse in the pdc it was a small fuse that wasn't marked i had to take the pdc out and get the fuse number off the bottom then look it up in the wiring diagram.A loose o2 sensor rubbed on my drive shaft and arked which blew the fuse to the computer. I would double check the fuses in the pcm to make sure
Unread 08-31-2013, 07:51 AM   #8
JBrady5555
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfrog View Post
Check the ASD fuse under the hood.
Ok i just swapped the asd relay with several others and it didn't do anything different. Also I pushed in on the fuel rail bleeder valve and it was empty. It barely hissed as I pressed it, no fuel came out at all.
Unread 08-31-2013, 07:53 AM   #9
JBrady5555
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Well if no check engine light comes on at all not even when you turn the key over then thats your computer mine did the same thing it was a blown fuse in the pdc it was a small fuse that wasn't marked i had to take the pdc out and get the fuse number off the bottom then look it up in the wiring diagram.A loose o2 sensor rubbed on my drive shaft and arked which blew the fuse to the computer. I would double check the fuses in the pcm to make sure
Makes sense, I probably fouled it up when I pulled the battery wires somehow. Where exactly is the pdc? Isn't that the black box with all the relays and fuses?
Unread 08-31-2013, 07:59 AM   #10
JBrady5555
1997 ZJ 

I checked all the little fuses too by the relays but they all look good.
Unread 08-31-2013, 08:00 AM   #11
Speedymcracer01

The only other thing that i think it could be is the crank shaft position sensor it is known to cause these types of issues
Unread 08-31-2013, 08:03 AM   #12
Speedymcracer01

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBrady5555 View Post

Makes sense, I probably fouled it up when I pulled the battery wires somehow. Where exactly is the pdc? Isn't that the black box with all the relays and fuses?
Yes the pdc"power distribution center" is the black box by the battery
Unread 08-31-2013, 08:04 AM   #13
JBrady5555
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
The only other thing that i think it could be is the crank shaft position sensor it is known to cause these types of issues
Is it likely that it would fail because of the battery connection issues that I was having? I imagine that it's a cheap part, is it easy to change out? It couldn't hurt to try if it's a easy job to do.
Unread 08-31-2013, 08:05 AM   #14
JS97ZJ
1997 ZJ 

It's fuse 20, a 20 amp fuse
pdc.png

JS97ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-31-2013, 08:06 AM   #15
JBrady5555
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Yes the pdc"power distribution center" is the black box by the battery
Ok, why did you have to remove the box if you had a fuse problem? Couldn't you access all the fuses with the box in place?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.