4.0 Will crank but won't turn - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 4.0 Will crank but won't turn

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Ruffstuff 3 Link Kit!

Unread 10-31-2009, 02:52 PM   #1
96ZjBurner
1996 XJ Cherokee 

4.0 Will crank but won't turn

Ok so just a couple a weeks ago i had this same problem
This morning when i was leaving my buddy's from a long night of drinking i was trying to start my jeep but wouldn't turn over. So i called him outside and we put his xj and my zj together via Jumper cables ha-ha.
Anyways...after awhile of trying to get it to turn i had to keep my foot on the gas and it had like no power and then after 30 seconds of revving so it wouldn't die it was finally on but idling low.

Now after driving it a couple more times today it seems fine.
But i want to get to the bottom of it so it wont happen in the future.

I cleaned my IAC when it happened the first time.
Im thinking maybe MAP, NEW IAC, Fuel pressure regulator (New Fuel pump) So if anyone has ever had this happen before and fixed it or if anyone of you guys knows what it could be that would be cool Thanks!

96ZjBurner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2009, 03:14 PM   #2
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

You have a bad battery, alternator, or battery wires.

Begin with basic trouble shooting of the start and charge systems. Remove, clean, and firmly reconnect all the wires and cables to the battery, starter, and alternator. Look for corroded or damaged cables and replace as needed. Do the same for the grounding wires from the starter to engine block, and from the battery and engine to the Jeep's frame/body.

Have the battery and alternator load tested at a repair shop or auto parts store.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2009, 03:32 PM   #3
1_SIK_JP
1998 ZJ 

crank position sensor? had to change mine in a jc penney parking lot after my wife drove it there and couldnt get it started. swapped it out... no problem since.
Unread 10-31-2009, 10:49 PM   #4
96ZjBurner
1996 XJ Cherokee 

battery is brand new and tested out fine..i might check out the crank position sensor. auto parts guy said maybe bad fuel pump or fuel pressure regulator
Unread 11-01-2009, 01:00 AM   #5
JesseOR
1993 ZJ 

Also try IAC and TPS

www.facebook.com/jesse.whitehargrove
JesseOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2009, 08:31 AM   #6
CrazyIvan888
1993 ZJ 

It wouldn't hurt to try swapping out the fuel pump relay, just to see if that works. It's in the power distribution block, right behind the battery.
CrazyIvan888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2009, 12:21 PM   #7
96ZjBurner
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I might check all my fuses and relays and stuff to see if any of them are bad... I cleaned the IAC maybe time to replace?

It happened again this morning after sitting out last night!!
same things happening......

Try to start normal thinking nothing would go wrong then it stalls out. Then when i try to start again its cranking but not starting so im freaking out and then calmly give it a little gas at my 3rd attempt to start and its having a little struggle but then it goes once i take my foot of gas it goes down to very very very low RPMs almost to 0 and struggles by itself slowly and get up to Idle RPMs but still a tad low for my liking

Please help!
Unread 11-01-2009, 12:42 PM   #8
JesseOR
1993 ZJ 

Cleaning the IAC is all well and good but that doesn't stop the part from wearing out.

From what you described happend this morning, it is MOST LIKELY either the IAC or TPS or both.

www.facebook.com/jesse.whitehargrove
JesseOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2009, 12:44 PM   #9
96ZjBurner
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Ok well ill have to check with my mechanic im going to tell him the symptoms and see what he says then ill install new parts. I know when i cleaned the IAC the first time not to long ago actually it made my RPMs drop slightly... so idk ANy other suggestions?
Unread 11-01-2009, 07:25 PM   #10
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96ZjBurner View Post
...after awhile of trying to get it to turn i had to keep my foot on the gas and it had like no power and then after 30 seconds of revving so it wouldn't die it was finally on but idling low.

Check the battery

For 1997-2001 (and maybe 1996) OBD-II Jeeps the engine computer (ECU/PCM) re-boots and the idle settings are deleted when: (1) you let the battery rundown by leaving the lights or radio on, (2) disconnect the battery for an extended period of time, (3) or when the battery goes bad and needs replacing.

Your symptoms are: (1) having difficulties starting the engine without depressing the gas pedal, and (2) the engine will have a low idle and probably stall unless you keep your foot on the gas pedal.

The ECU will relearn the idle settings after a short period of time and the engine will start and idle normally. If the symptoms reoccur, you need to have your battery load tested at a repair shop or auto parts store. This is usually a free service they offer to bring in potential customers. Even with low battery voltage, the engine will start, but the ECU can re-boot multiple times and a new battery may be required.

Loose, corroded, or damaged battery cables or ground wires may also cause or contribute to the problem. Begin with basic trouble shooting of the start and charge systems. Remove, clean, and firmly reconnect all the wires and cables to the battery, starter, and alternator. Look for corroded or damaged cables and replace as needed. Do the same for the grounding wires from the battery and engine to the Cherokee's frame/body.

Cleaning the IAC and using fuel injector cleaner should be part of your routine preventative maintenance.

According to the National Shooting Sports Foundation, AR-15 sporting rifles account for nearly 20% of all U.S. firearms sales.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problem; Government is the problem.

Last edited by CJ7-Tim; 11-02-2009 at 08:50 AM..
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2009, 07:55 PM   #11
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyIvan888 View Post
It wouldn't hurt to try swapping out the fuel pump relay, just to see if that works. It's in the power distribution block, right behind the battery.
I second that motion...
ZeeJay1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-01-2009, 09:47 PM   #12
96ZjBurner
1996 XJ Cherokee 

well my battery is brand new and jsut went to the store yesterday and it tests out fine....alt test out at .8 to 1.0 amps or volts not sure if thats normal though.!!!

UGH i jsut got off work and my girlfriend had to drive me home...

Tried to start and it made the machine gun electrical noise CLICK *CLICK*CLICK REALLY FAST
Unread 11-01-2009, 09:48 PM   #13
96ZjBurner
1996 XJ Cherokee 

THen all the lights shut off and nothing would turn on no lights at all so i opened the hood and the light came on so i tried to start again and it did the noise again CLIK* CLICK* CLICK* REALLY FAST then it wouldnt even do anything no lights would turn on at all

Im getting pissed

JUST EMPTY EVERY POCKET
Unread 11-01-2009, 10:03 PM   #14
96ZjBurner
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Now im reading up on some other things like this....do i have a factory alarm?!
I have a key fob with a lock unlock and panic button.
Unread 11-02-2009, 04:08 AM   #15
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96ZjBurner View Post
CLIK* CLICK* CLICK* REALLY FAST
Clean all big cables. Take them apart on both ends and make them shiny. One may have internal corrosion.
ZeeJay1997 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.