4.0 will crank but not start ( yeah it sucks) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 4.0 will crank but not start ( yeah it sucks)

Great prices on seating!--Oconee Off-RoadTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGTJ, YJ & LJ Drop Down Tail Gate Conversion Kit

Unread 03-28-2009, 04:48 PM   #1
farfromrice

4.0 will crank but not start ( yeah it sucks)

Well Here you go hopefully some more insight on this ..... Driving after getting gas jeep dies on me. It cranks and cranks but nothing I have fuel pressure but no spark . I get it towed to my work and I had fault code 11 and my battery gauge would work then not so I checked the crank position sensor and It was bad changed that and the ignition coil and spark plug wires. I get intermittent spark but , Still no start I checked the camshaft position sensor I got 5 volts on pin 1 and pin 3 on the engine harness. I removed the camshaft sensor and it had its magnet intact and did not show any resistance between any pins. I know that it might be a pcm . I cleaned all electrical connectors with contact cleaner that I can get my hands on. I only get a fault code 10 and 54 for now at least. I was going to pull the pcm tomorrow and check for bad caps. But my work is a 1 hour drive one way so I wanted to get some Ideas for thought. My wife is pregnant with our third and she needs her car and I need the truck for transportation for back and forth to work . Any help would be great guys thank you for your time .

farfromrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2009, 05:21 PM   #2
jeep95xj
Web Wheeler
1995 XJ Cherokee 

pull the distributer and check the gear. My father and a good friend had the same issue. Gear was chewed up.
jeep95xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2009, 05:26 PM   #3
StellaTheZJ
1996 ZJ 

Confirm it's not fuel-related with starting fluid in the intake. If it fires with starting fluid, consider fuel pump, pump relays, or alarm not shutting off (sets injector pulse width to "zero".

If it's definitely spark-related, check the NEW coil for resistance. I just had a case of a brand new coil being out of spec.

How corroded is the ground connection on the coil you just installed? I hope you saved yourself future headaches by lightly sanding then anti-seizing the ground wire connectors and studs...

Consider checking th coil LT leads for a voltage. The coils is fed through the ASD, which can get corroded. People suggest swapping the relays around in the Power Distribution Center by the battery to maybe eliminate a coil or corrosion issue.

How about cap and rotor? On the same Jeep where the coil was out of spec, I found the rotor did not carry current! It looked good, but there was no continuity between the center and the arc tip.

Maybe a dumb question, but you're sure the plug wires are hooked up right WRT the firing order? Firing order is cast into the intake manifold just behind the power steering pump, so you just need to know it rotates CW and then which terminal is #1.
StellaTheZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2009, 05:39 PM   #4
farfromrice

I pulled all relays under the hood and sprayed contact cleaner on all of them and the sockets ...( I did it out of desperation but we all been there right ) I tried starting fluid and still nothing. I know my rotor is a little worn but I was getting intermittent spark form the coil not the from the spark plug wire. Plug wires were replaced one at a time. I am going to get a new rotor too. just to get it out of the equation and maybe a cam position sensor but, I would like to have a way to test the sensor itself.
Unread 03-28-2009, 08:17 PM   #5
farfromrice

Well it looks like I am going to pull the pcm out and check to see if there are any swollen or leaking capacitors. I have access to all types of electrical components at work. But, I have to wait for the morning to check it out... Well can't sleep in this weekend knowing my jeep is just sitting there laughing at me
Unread 03-29-2009, 01:37 PM   #6
farfromrice

Well this morning I tried the rotor and while I was at it the camshaft sensor. I removed my pcm and open it up and I seen no swelling caps or leaking caps. I am out of Ideas and think the jeep has seen its last day.. I might go to the junk yard and pull a pcm just for sh*t's and grins. So far I replaced the crank position sensor and the coil and the camshaft sensor and the rotor and new wires.... Any insight would be helpful
Unread 07-17-2011, 08:18 PM   #7
stroker90
1990 YJ Wrangler 

hey did you ever get your motor to run? if you did how did you get it to run
stroker90 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.