4.0 turns over but no start - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 4.0 turns over but no start

Happy Thursday! From Morris 4X4 CenterHalloween Savings to die for!THE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/Bla

Unread 06-20-2004, 10:22 AM   #1
options13

4.0 turns over but no start

this morning my wife's Grand Cherokee turns over fine, but won't start. Fuses are fine, but I don't hear the fuel pump. I don't remember if I could hear it before, though. Oddly, though, is the fuel gauge shows empty. I added 5 gallons & it still won't budge.

I would think the fuel pump is bad, but the fuel gauge not working makes me wonder if there is something I am missing??

Also wondering if the Jeep has a safety cut off swith like most Fords??

options13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2004, 05:15 PM   #2
jeepilot

I recomend checking the Crankshaft position sensor, and the camshaft position sensor. If these sensors have gone bad, the jeep will turn over just fine, but will never fire. Pick up a Haynes or Chiltons manual at your local auto store to check the voltages. If it's a bad fuel pump you'll usually be able to start the vehicle, but it will soon die. Also wouldn't hurt to check the battery.

What do you mean by safety cutoff switch?
NP249--->NV242 swap, Banks Header, Carsound high-fow catalytic converter, Flowmaster Delta40 muffler, Homemade K & N cold air intake, ABS Disconnect switch, Hayden Transmission cooler, Dual whip antennas (Cobra CB and Scanner), OME HD coils, DT3000 shocks, 31" Dunlop Mud Rovers.
[URL=http://members.cardomain.com/jeepilot]Pics[/URL]
Jeeps...Making mechanics out of average guys since 1941.[/SIZE][/FONT]
jeepilot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2004, 07:18 PM   #3
Silver yj

What do you mean by safety cutoff switch?[/QUOTE]
Its a switch made to cut the fuel pump off when you are in a wreck or if you hit a bump hard enough it will also cutoff,had that happen once before.As far as I no Jeep dosent have one.
Silver yj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2004, 06:00 PM   #4
troutslayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by options13
this morning my wife's Grand Cherokee turns over fine, but won't start. Fuses are fine, but I don't hear the fuel pump. I don't remember if I could hear it before, though. Oddly, though, is the fuel gauge shows empty. I added 5 gallons & it still won't budge.

I would think the fuel pump is bad, but the fuel gauge not working makes me wonder if there is something I am missing??

Also wondering if the Jeep has a safety cut off swith like most Fords??
Oh man, believe me...I have been through this before!! Here are some things to check:

Unscrew the cap on the fuel rail for your fuel injection.Have someone turn the key while you depress the needle inside the fuel rail with a screwdriver.If you get a spray of gas shoot out the rail, you will know your fuel pump is fine.If you do not get the gas spray shoot out but get a few drops of gas, your fuel pump is probably shot.

You didn't say, but if your jeep is equipped with an alarm system, yours could be bad and it won't start even with an act of god.I replaced my alarm once with a new module from Mopar and when it went bad, I bypassed the whole system.

The Crank position sensor and cam position sensor as mentioned could very well be the problem

There is a way to check for error codes using your key.I can't remember the sequence, it was something like on/off,on/off,on/off,on/off then on again leaving the key to the on position.The check engine light should flash so many times then it will pause and then flash again.You want to record the number of times the light flashes for each sequence.This aids in determining if there are any sensors that have gone bad.

I hope this helps.It is a weekly chore for me to keep my jeep running
68 pontiac Gto convertible 400 ram air
troutslayer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2004, 07:13 AM   #5
options13

Fixed!

Well, my mechanic diagnosed it as a bad PCM, but after installing one, it still didn't work. So, he went back and found that the crankshaft sensor was bad and causing some weird codes. The crank sensor was the problem. Anyone need a good PCM, he still has it on the shelf.
options13 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.