4.0 tear down w/pics and questions - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 4.0 tear down w/pics and questions

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge Bushings

Unread 06-28-2013, 07:10 PM   #16
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by coralman View Post
This thread by Uniblurb and around post #39 by ZeeJay, may give you insight into the manifold removal and replace.
Yep, I think we covered all the bases on that one lol

ZeeJay1997 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2013, 07:31 PM   #17
coralman
green backs to no backs

1998 ZJ 

I never used RTV on mine , 2years and no leaks. If you opt for a cork gasket then I would go for a sealer otherwise I dont see the need.

Links to axle rebuilds, mount replace,a/c box rebuild,ect in history section of my profile page
coralman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2013, 07:44 PM   #18
JBrady5555
1997 ZJ 

cool thanks guys, you are making a this job easy for a novice.
JBrady5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2013, 07:52 PM   #19
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeJay1997 View Post
Yep, I think we covered all the bases on that one lol
"Just go retorque the manifold and quit thinking so hard! ", ZeeJay to Uni.

I thought that method for cleaning the intake looked familiar. And be sure to remove the air temp sensor 1st some little bird told me...

Agree on no RTV and no spray copper sealant on the exhaust manifold/intake gasket either. Best to put a new doughnut, along with new bolts/nuts, on the exhaust front pipe where it meets the manifold while your at it. Good luck and brings back memories..

-Stalling ZJ? 12 things to check before replacing a sensor; the Dirty Dozen
-Crankshaft position sensor multimeter test. & video of testing.
Uniblurb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2013, 07:57 PM   #20
JBrady5555
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uniblurb View Post
"Just go retorque the manifold and quit thinking so hard! ", ZeeJay to Uni.

I thought that method for cleaning the intake looked familiar. And be sure to remove the air temp sensor 1st some little bird told me...

Agree on no RTV and no spray copper sealant on the exhaust manifold/intake gasket either. Best to put a new doughnut, along with new bolts/nuts, on the exhaust front pipe where it meets the manifold while your at it. Good luck and brings back memories..
thanks, I didn't think about getting the doughnut gasket for the exhaust manifold until you said something. Hope its in stock when I go get my shipped in parts tomorrow.
Unread 06-28-2013, 08:19 PM   #21
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBrady5555 View Post
thanks, I didn't think about getting the doughnut gasket for the exhaust manifold until you said something. Hope its in stock when I go get my shipped in parts tomorrow.
It's a pretty common part and most auto part stores have them in stock along with the bolts/nuts.

You should really inspect your manifold/header closely where the tubes are welded together towards the bottom as ZeeJay already mentioned. It's a big job doing everything your doing and no sense in putting a cracked header back on there to heat up the engine compartment. Also heats up all the sensors on the intake above, heats the fuel in the fuel lines on the bottom/outside of the intake, and sucks cold air in the engine when you let off the gas. None of which is good! Check it out.

-Stalling ZJ? 12 things to check before replacing a sensor; the Dirty Dozen
-Crankshaft position sensor multimeter test. & video of testing.
Uniblurb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2013, 08:20 PM   #22
coralman
green backs to no backs

1998 ZJ 

Lol, I just love to search.....not!

Links to axle rebuilds, mount replace,a/c box rebuild,ect in history section of my profile page
Unread 06-28-2013, 08:22 PM   #23
JBrady5555
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uniblurb View Post
It's a pretty common part and most auto part stores have them in stock along with the bolts/nuts.

You should really inspect your manifold/header closely where the tubes are welded together towards the bottom as ZeeJay already mentioned. It's a big job doing everything your doing and no sense in putting a cracked header back on there to heat up the engine compartment. Also heats up all the sensors on the intake above, heats the fuel in the fuel lines on the bottom/outside of the intake, and sucks cold air in the engine when you let off the gas. None of which is good! Check it out.
I weld for a living so would it be a good thing to beef up the header welds even if they arent cracked. Or if they are cracked I could just fix them myself right?
Unread 06-28-2013, 08:26 PM   #24
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeJay1997 View Post
Seems like I had to take a fuel line bracket off for clearance.
Coralman, I'm glad you found the old post cuz I couldnt remember how in double hockey sticks I changed that thing

OP in addition to this post, you have to build some of the combinations of tools up as you go in order to get it all in there, but you can torque all of them.

I'm glad I record my activities on here so I can come back later and figure out what i did
Unread 06-28-2013, 08:28 PM   #25
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
I if they are cracked I could just fix them myself right?
I had an exhaust shop refuse to weld mine because theY had never repaired one that held any length of time. There may be a technique that will hold, IDK.
Unread 06-28-2013, 08:29 PM   #26
JBrady5555
1997 ZJ 

Well I have a few swivel sockets and a bunch of different size extensions. Hopefully it will get it done.
Unread 06-28-2013, 08:30 PM   #27
coralman
green backs to no backs

1998 ZJ 

If you are then you know welding often weakens adjacent metal. Just my opinion, replace it with a bellows type manifold or a true header. Zee did the bellows thing. I'm still in limbo on the choice while I have a apn header sitting in the parts room{don't ask}.

Unread 06-28-2013, 08:33 PM   #28
coralman
green backs to no backs

1998 ZJ 

I find my memory gets inversely proportional better to the number of michelobs I am missing from the cardboard pack.

Unread 06-28-2013, 08:35 PM   #29
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Well I have a few swivel sockets and a bunch of different size extensions. Hopefully it will get it done.
Seems like I had to carefully choose a combination of socket, about 3 adapters, two extensions... it was a phenomenon. I dont recommend using a swivel on a torque wrench. It changes the applied torque if you are not straight on the bolt.
Unread 06-28-2013, 08:40 PM   #30
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by coralman View Post
I find my memory gets inversely proportional better to the number of michelobs I am missing from the cardboard pack.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.