4.0 tear down w/pics and questions - Page 2 - JeepForum.com

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 67 Old 06-28-2013, 07:10 PM
ZeeJay1997
Registered User
1997 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 8,631
Quote:
Originally Posted by coralman View Post
This thread by Uniblurb and around post #39 by ZeeJay, may give you insight into the manifold removal and replace.
Yep, I think we covered all the bases on that one lol

ZeeJay1997 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #17 of 67 Old 06-28-2013, 07:31 PM
coralman
USER OF PARTS CATALOGS
 
coralman's Avatar
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: florida
Posts: 7,250
I never used RTV on mine , 2years and no leaks. If you opt for a cork gasket then I would go for a sealer otherwise I dont see the need.

Info on projects and repairs categorized by system
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/c...-faqs-2863665/

Originally Posted by HighLonesome
lol...if life is as a simple as a 5.9 making you happy, I'd say go ahead and buy it on impulse. ZJs are the way of Zen. Wax on, wax off
coralman is offline  
post #18 of 67 Old 06-28-2013, 07:44 PM Thread Starter
JBrady5555
Registered User
1997 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Panama City
Posts: 163
cool thanks guys, you are making a this job easy for a novice.
JBrady5555 is offline  
post #19 of 67 Old 06-28-2013, 07:52 PM
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler
 
Uniblurb's Avatar
1996 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Central
Posts: 6,933
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeJay1997 View Post
Yep, I think we covered all the bases on that one lol
"Just go retorque the manifold and quit thinking so hard! ", ZeeJay to Uni.

I thought that method for cleaning the intake looked familiar. And be sure to remove the air temp sensor 1st some little bird told me...

Agree on no RTV and no spray copper sealant on the exhaust manifold/intake gasket either. Best to put a new doughnut, along with new bolts/nuts, on the exhaust front pipe where it meets the manifold while your at it. Good luck and brings back memories..
Uniblurb is offline  
post #20 of 67 Old 06-28-2013, 07:57 PM Thread Starter
JBrady5555
Registered User
1997 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Panama City
Posts: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uniblurb View Post
"Just go retorque the manifold and quit thinking so hard! ", ZeeJay to Uni.

I thought that method for cleaning the intake looked familiar. And be sure to remove the air temp sensor 1st some little bird told me...

Agree on no RTV and no spray copper sealant on the exhaust manifold/intake gasket either. Best to put a new doughnut, along with new bolts/nuts, on the exhaust front pipe where it meets the manifold while your at it. Good luck and brings back memories..
thanks, I didn't think about getting the doughnut gasket for the exhaust manifold until you said something. Hope its in stock when I go get my shipped in parts tomorrow.
JBrady5555 is offline  
post #21 of 67 Old 06-28-2013, 08:19 PM
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler
 
Uniblurb's Avatar
1996 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Central
Posts: 6,933
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBrady5555 View Post
thanks, I didn't think about getting the doughnut gasket for the exhaust manifold until you said something. Hope its in stock when I go get my shipped in parts tomorrow.
It's a pretty common part and most auto part stores have them in stock along with the bolts/nuts.

You should really inspect your manifold/header closely where the tubes are welded together towards the bottom as ZeeJay already mentioned. It's a big job doing everything your doing and no sense in putting a cracked header back on there to heat up the engine compartment. Also heats up all the sensors on the intake above, heats the fuel in the fuel lines on the bottom/outside of the intake, and sucks cold air in the engine when you let off the gas. None of which is good! Check it out.
Uniblurb is offline  
post #22 of 67 Old 06-28-2013, 08:20 PM
coralman
USER OF PARTS CATALOGS
 
coralman's Avatar
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: florida
Posts: 7,250
Lol, I just love to search.....not!

Info on projects and repairs categorized by system
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/c...-faqs-2863665/

Originally Posted by HighLonesome
lol...if life is as a simple as a 5.9 making you happy, I'd say go ahead and buy it on impulse. ZJs are the way of Zen. Wax on, wax off
coralman is offline  
post #23 of 67 Old 06-28-2013, 08:22 PM Thread Starter
JBrady5555
Registered User
1997 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Panama City
Posts: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uniblurb View Post
It's a pretty common part and most auto part stores have them in stock along with the bolts/nuts.

You should really inspect your manifold/header closely where the tubes are welded together towards the bottom as ZeeJay already mentioned. It's a big job doing everything your doing and no sense in putting a cracked header back on there to heat up the engine compartment. Also heats up all the sensors on the intake above, heats the fuel in the fuel lines on the bottom/outside of the intake, and sucks cold air in the engine when you let off the gas. None of which is good! Check it out.
I weld for a living so would it be a good thing to beef up the header welds even if they arent cracked. Or if they are cracked I could just fix them myself right?
JBrady5555 is offline  
post #24 of 67 Old 06-28-2013, 08:26 PM
ZeeJay1997
Registered User
1997 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 8,631
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeJay1997 View Post
Seems like I had to take a fuel line bracket off for clearance.
Coralman, I'm glad you found the old post cuz I couldnt remember how in double hockey sticks I changed that thing

OP in addition to this post, you have to build some of the combinations of tools up as you go in order to get it all in there, but you can torque all of them.

I'm glad I record my activities on here so I can come back later and figure out what i did
ZeeJay1997 is offline  
post #25 of 67 Old 06-28-2013, 08:28 PM
ZeeJay1997
Registered User
1997 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 8,631
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBrady5555 View Post
I if they are cracked I could just fix them myself right?
I had an exhaust shop refuse to weld mine because theY had never repaired one that held any length of time. There may be a technique that will hold, IDK.
ZeeJay1997 is offline  
post #26 of 67 Old 06-28-2013, 08:29 PM Thread Starter
JBrady5555
Registered User
1997 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Panama City
Posts: 163
Well I have a few swivel sockets and a bunch of different size extensions. Hopefully it will get it done.
JBrady5555 is offline  
post #27 of 67 Old 06-28-2013, 08:30 PM
coralman
USER OF PARTS CATALOGS
 
coralman's Avatar
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: florida
Posts: 7,250
If you are then you know welding often weakens adjacent metal. Just my opinion, replace it with a bellows type manifold or a true header. Zee did the bellows thing. I'm still in limbo on the choice while I have a apn header sitting in the parts room{don't ask}.

Info on projects and repairs categorized by system
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/c...-faqs-2863665/

Originally Posted by HighLonesome
lol...if life is as a simple as a 5.9 making you happy, I'd say go ahead and buy it on impulse. ZJs are the way of Zen. Wax on, wax off
coralman is offline  
post #28 of 67 Old 06-28-2013, 08:33 PM
coralman
USER OF PARTS CATALOGS
 
coralman's Avatar
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: florida
Posts: 7,250
I find my memory gets inversely proportional better to the number of michelobs I am missing from the cardboard pack.

Info on projects and repairs categorized by system
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/c...-faqs-2863665/

Originally Posted by HighLonesome
lol...if life is as a simple as a 5.9 making you happy, I'd say go ahead and buy it on impulse. ZJs are the way of Zen. Wax on, wax off
coralman is offline  
post #29 of 67 Old 06-28-2013, 08:35 PM
ZeeJay1997
Registered User
1997 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 8,631
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBrady5555 View Post
Well I have a few swivel sockets and a bunch of different size extensions. Hopefully it will get it done.
Seems like I had to carefully choose a combination of socket, about 3 adapters, two extensions... it was a phenomenon. I dont recommend using a swivel on a torque wrench. It changes the applied torque if you are not straight on the bolt.
ZeeJay1997 is offline  
post #30 of 67 Old 06-28-2013, 08:40 PM
ZeeJay1997
Registered User
1997 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 8,631
Quote:
Originally Posted by coralman View Post
I find my memory gets inversely proportional better to the number of michelobs I am missing from the cardboard pack.
ZeeJay1997 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome