4.0 still having power issues, battery gauge moving up and down.. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 4.0 still having power issues, battery gauge moving up and down..

6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!50 in light bar /A pillar mount less than 500 at JeepHut.cFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 02-04-2013, 01:30 PM   #1
Candymancan
1998 ZJ 

4.0 still having power issues, battery gauge moving up and down..

So the 4.0 has been having issues for awhile now where the battery voltage would go from say 14 to 0 and it would say check gauges.... Then eventually it start up at 12v and then slowely drop to 0.. I swapped batterys drove it to advance auto and my old alternator was putting out no power... So i got a new alternator and boom worked like a charm..

Now tho aparently the voltage is playing tricks again except this time its going from 14v when its started and shooting up to 19v.. then dropping back down and saying check gauges.. Im at my wits end here.. what is the problem... Is the voltage regulator in the PCM going bad or something ???..

Candymancan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-04-2013, 01:45 PM   #2
massarosareloud
1996 ZJ 

Just a thought, there is a battery temperature gauge. It sits directly underneath the battery and regulates the voltage for recharging based on temperature. I wonder if it isn't reading correctly anymore and causing the PCM to throw crazy amounts of power back at the battery to try to charge it. I would wait for a more experienced Jeeper to voice their opinion, but it is something to look into.
Unread 02-05-2013, 01:54 PM   #3
Candymancan
1998 ZJ 

can someone please help me... If the voltage is going from 14 to 19v then dropping to 0 and making the dashlights flicker... what is the problem ??? Is it the regulator in the PCM ??

Shall I go to a JY and pull a PCM off a 4.0 ? Which years would be compatible with my 98 ? Im guessing 96-97-98 right ? any OBD2 from a 4.0 ?
Unread 02-05-2013, 02:26 PM   #4
um7267
1998 ZJ 

not to sure about the temp sensor, but did you try checking your main lines to the alternator? mines all gummed up with crap and needs cleaned so maybe so some oil got down there on you
to the good times and the bad, the family we have and lost, little brother 1988-2011
um7267 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-05-2013, 02:34 PM   #5
Candymancan
1998 ZJ 

Cables to the battery and from the alternator look fine.. In fact i cut off the old connectors to the battery and cleaned up the cable and put new connectors on.. It has a brand new alternator as well... Can a bad battery cause the voltage to go from 14-19 ?? The battery is about 3-4 years old, and was being charged with a dying/bad alternator for quite some time... I also noticed it leaking Juices out of the plugs up top last year almost like it was being overcharged..
Unread 02-05-2013, 05:38 PM   #6
herqulees
1997 ZJ 

ECM voltage regulator has nothing to do with the Jeep's power at all, all it does is turn the 12volts from that battery to 5volts for the ECM to run on.
The battery temp sensor I know very little about... how a tiny sensor barely touching the bottom of a huge car battery can give the Jeep even a tiny hint to what it's temp is is beyond me, but after some Googling it looks like that when that sensor starts going bad some weird voltage issues can arise.
herqulees is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-05-2013, 06:00 PM   #7
Candymancan
1998 ZJ 

I know you are completetly wrong on the PCM.. The PCM has the voltage regulator built into it for the alternator.. Most car alternators have regulators built into them.. The PCM on Jeeps have it built into the computer... When the Regulator goes bad the voltages on the alternator go crazy and can overvolt the system.. You are right in the sense that the PCM has a 5v regulator in it, but it also has the alternator's regulator in it as well, the PCM regulates the alternator to charge the battery... If it goes bad it starts to overvolt everything

Look it up if you dont believe me...

Anyway since no one on this forum can help me i found a fix on google after searching all day.. Im going to install a external regulator to the alternator and battery and disconnect the pcm from the alternator in short im going to bypass my PCM's regulator this way I dont have to look for a junkyard PCM and hope it works, or buy a $250-300 new pcm.
Unread 02-05-2013, 06:16 PM   #8
herqulees
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candymancan View Post
I know you are completetly wrong on the PCM.. The PCM has the voltage regulator built into it for the alternator.. Most car alternators have regulators built into them.. The PCM on Jeeps have it built into the computer... When the Regulator goes bad the voltages on the alternator go crazy and can overvolt the system.. You are right in the sense that the PCM has a 5v regulator in it, but it also has the alternator's regulator in it as well, the PCM regulates the alternator to charge the battery... If it goes bad it starts to overvolt everything

Anyway since no one on this forum can help me i found a fix on google after searching all day.. Im going to install a external regulator to the alternator and battery and disconnect the pcm from the alternator in short im going to bypass my PCM's regulator this way I dont have to look for a junkyard PCM and hope it works, or buy a $250-300 new pcm.
Well I learned something new about my Jeep.
herqulees is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-05-2013, 06:37 PM   #9
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
can someone please help me...
If you can find a friend that will let you put a different battery in it to see if you get different results, you'll be way ahead. Click green link below. Go to #4. Click blue link.
ZeeJay1997 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-05-2013, 07:03 PM   #10
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by massarosareloud View Post
Just a thought, there is a battery temperature gauge. It sits directly underneath the battery and regulates the voltage for recharging based on temperature. I wonder if it isn't reading correctly anymore and causing the PCM to throw crazy amounts of power back at the battery to try to charge it. I would wait for a more experienced Jeeper to voice their opinion, but it is something to look into.
This shouldn't cause the gauge to drop to 0, but you want to eliminate it as a cause, unplug it.
ZeeJay1997 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-05-2013, 09:17 PM   #11
Candymancan
1998 ZJ 

Yea we have three cars.. 2 ZJ's in the sig and a 2013 camaro SS.. I'll just swap batteries from my 5.9 over to it then. The thing is its so random.. It doesnt just happen right awya one day its ok the next its not
Unread 02-06-2013, 08:32 AM   #12
massarosareloud
1996 ZJ 

Maybe some broken solder points somewhere? Maybe in the PCM?
Unread 02-06-2013, 09:11 AM   #13
McCloudsZJ
Because RaceJeep

1998 ZJ 

Quote:

I'm a little sorry I didn't see this thread sooner. It definitely sounds like a bad regulator, and you're right, it's in the PCM and NOT in the alternator. I was talking to a fellow who owned a shop that rebuilt alternators about getting a 150A alternator for my 5.9 rebuilt. He said that he'd owned 9 Grand Cherokees (all ZJs and WJs), and had put external regulators on all of them. I'm thinking about getting it done preemptively. It'd be the fastest and easiest way to fix your problem.
On the Jeep:Hot intake, 52mm TB, Summit 8mm wires, catch can, 703s, insulated fuel rails, indexed Champions, Bilstein 4600s, Eibach lowering springs, Moog SS, Ironman mounts, Lotek 2GP, lots of gauges, sparkly paint.
In the garage: M1 4bbl
In the works: Addco/Hellwig sway bars, nitrous, full polly bushings, full exhaust, data logging, billet UD pulleys
McCloudsZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-06-2013, 05:48 PM   #14
Candymancan
1998 ZJ 

Thats what im gonna do... Im buying a $20 regulator from autozone, some 14gauge wire, and ring terminals and butt plugs, and a wire harness and im gonna do exactly what its in this thread. Not just fastest and easiest, but also cheapest way should only cost like $60 for all the parts i need, vs $150 for the computers in local junkyards that arent even garunteed to work.. and $250 for a new one.. Only downside is the check engine light it will cause

http://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen-...onversion.html

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.