4.0 start only after check engine light - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 4.0 start only after check engine light

Advance Adapters SYE KitsRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Rubicon express discounts from oconee off-road

Unread 07-20-2009, 05:18 PM   #1
marinejeep6122
1993 ZJ 

4.0 start only after check engine light

my 4.0 hasnt been running very well lately. one day on the road it just up and dies on me. towed it back the next day and tried to start and nothing, tried again later and only after the check engine light comes on does it crank over and start. other then that it just cranks and cranks. the whole starting only after the check light comes on has been the norm while ive owned it.
replaced wires, plugs, fuel filter, crank position sensor. i get pressure in the fuel line. when it does start it will run totally fine for 10-20 minutes. ive been leaning towards a dying ECM. any other ideas? checked all fuses and all are good.

marinejeep6122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2009, 07:12 PM   #2
marinejeep6122
1993 ZJ 

also usually the main fuse box clicks and then a couple quick short clicks then the light comes on
Unread 07-20-2009, 07:42 PM   #3
RJV
2003 TJ Wrangler 

why is the check engine light on, what code is stored ecm?
RJV is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-21-2009, 02:25 PM   #4
marinejeep6122
1993 ZJ 

when i can actually get codes, its just 12 (ecm lost power within the last 50 key cycles) and 55 (end codes). i try to check after it dies but a cant pull anything up. i did check the cap and rotor last night and noticed the rotor has a nice divit in it and a nice chunk missing. maybe this causes the stalling?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.