4.0 Miss, Backfire, Misfire - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 4.0 Miss, Backfire, Misfire

Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 08-04-2013, 07:52 PM   #16
dusterdude
1996 ZJ 

Its unreal,i sell airtex everyday and never have the problems with em you guys have

dusterdude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-05-2013, 06:57 AM   #17
Robbie98zj
1998 ZJ 

I too am having the stalling backfiring deal here's the bad part I have an airtex pump and an aftermarket crank pos sensor both have been installed in the last few months I changed the pump in an attempt to fix the crank pos sensor before I knew what the problem was it sucks to think that one of these new parts could be the issue mine will run ok but as soon as u go up hill or have to get on the throttle hard it starts to stall and buck and back fire it never actually cuts off but its too screwed up to wheel with
Robbie98zj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-05-2013, 07:06 AM   #18
Edwardmiller221

Mine did the same exact thing until I replaced crank sensor with dealer part. I made auto zone give me my money back for their Crappy crank sensor.
Edwardmiller221 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-05-2013, 07:34 AM   #19
Robbie98zj
1998 ZJ 

Edward did u have any codes mine has a camshaft positioning sensor code as well as several misfires and a transmission solenoid I was thinking maybe a bad computer since I'm having these codes with no cel but since u said that it made me scratch my head I really miss my jeep running right 3 weeks of the summer have been wasted not wheeling and camping and all that fun stuff
Unread 08-05-2013, 07:37 AM   #20
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dusterdude View Post
Its unreal,i sell airtex everyday and never have the problems with em you guys have
Probably because most ppl will say " Can't be the pump , I just replaced it with 'new'" and look elsewhere .
newfieZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-05-2013, 07:39 AM   #21
Robbie98zj
1998 ZJ 

That's what I'm saying a fuel pressure tester to test pressure at the rail should give me my answer right also my cel doesn't come on when I turn the key on(made me think bad pcm) because of something I read on the 12 steps thread
Unread 08-05-2013, 07:54 AM   #22
Robbie98zj
1998 ZJ 

That's what I'm saying a fuel pressure tester to test pressure at the rail should give me my answer right also my cel doesn't come on when I turn the key on(made me think bad pcm) because of something I read on the 12 steps thread
Unread 08-08-2013, 09:03 PM   #23
MechanicTyler
1998 ZJ 

Check Fuel Press 49 +or- 5 psi then if its good think pcm or grounds
MechanicTyler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2013, 05:31 AM   #24
noodles5124

I know you said you replaced the plugs and wires but I had the same exact issue as you which was solved yesterday

image-2325939007.jpg

Wire was toasted...switched them runs perfect
noodles5124 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-10-2013, 02:39 PM   #25
Robbie98zj
1998 ZJ 

I think both of us fixed our jeeps by getting our money back for those sorry airtex fuel pumps but thinks for the input I wonder what caused that wire to get burnt like that
Unread 08-10-2013, 07:45 PM   #26
dusterdude
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfieZJ

Probably because most ppl will say " Can't be the pump , I just replaced it with 'new'" and look elsewhere .
Perhaps but at some point,they have to come back to the pump
dusterdude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-10-2013, 07:48 PM   #27
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbie98zj View Post
I wonder what caused that wire to get burnt like that
Those are usually caused by a loose connection. Some of the parts store brand "high performance" wires kept doing this. I had two sets replaced under warranty before I switched to Denso carbon cores.
ZeeJay1997 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-11-2013, 02:41 PM   #28
noodles5124

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeJay1997

Those are usually caused by a loose connection. Some of the parts store brand "high performance" wires kept doing this. I had two sets replaced under warranty before I switched to Denso carbon cores.
That's my conclusion mine was the wire on cyl. 1
Which is behind the ac compressor pita to get the plug to snap in
noodles5124 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2013, 07:14 PM   #29
MechanicTyler
1998 ZJ 

You know I used to have a Chevy 1500 with a 4.3 V6 in it and it completely toasted the number one cylinder wire twice like caught on fire and it was the timing being off because of the distributor being worn, now I know some of our jeeps don't run a dizzy they run a coil pack and the cam sensor is where the dizzy goes in the block my next guess is that depending on how many miles you have on your jeep your timing chain could be stretched if not check the distributor (some models only) for excessive play i would say more than 1/8 inch it could also be getting hot from a sticky intake valve on cylinder 1. does it run rich? that trucks timing was so far off you could see the headers glow when it was dark outside cherry red it was the craziest thing i had ever seen.
MechanicTyler is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.