4.0 Liter Valve Cover Gasket Replacement - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 4.0 Liter Valve Cover Gasket Replacement

Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!ARTEC JK UNDER ARMOR - 4 door Bellypan KitsSmittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!

Unread 07-14-2014, 09:02 PM   #1
missmy59
1998 ZJ 

4.0 Liter Valve Cover Gasket Replacement

Should I use any Permatex when installing the new rubber Fel-Pro gasket?

missmy59 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2014, 10:52 PM   #2
merc07
1998 ZJ 

no. any rubber gasket can seal on its own, and if your a cheap *** like myself and don't want to spend $30 on a gasket just make one out of rtv gasket maker
Unread 07-15-2014, 02:30 AM   #3
AVR2
Web Wheeler
1993 ZJ 

I love that blue Fel-Pro gasket. I've had it on and off numerous times, and it still seals perfectly.
AVR2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2014, 03:01 AM   #4
missmy59
1998 ZJ 

Thanks for the awesome help.

I've owned my ZJ since December 2002 and over 100K miles myself - 215555 miles at the last oil change. Things are a becoming a bit tight, so I'm attempting things that I haven't done in a couple of decades (and wasn't that good at them then). So thanks for all of your help for this, and I'm sure many other posts soon.
missmy59 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2014, 03:57 AM   #5
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Just a few tips on replacing the valve cover gasket on your 4.0 if you haven't done this in a while. It's easiest to remove the cable bracket on the intake with 3 bolts with 10mm heads and hit them with some rust cutter first. Don't drop these bolts through the holes in the intake though. Then to get the cables off of the throttle body turn the outside linkage for enough slack to pull the plastic kick down cable connector back to the right/off. The throttle cable will just snap on/off. Once all this is loose unsnap the cables from the holder on top of the valve cover and move the whole thing to the passenger side to get it out of the way.

Keep track of which are studs and which are bolts when removing them from the valve cover and you'll have to remove the plug wire brackets which are on studs. Be careful when removing the short hose/plastic line on the back of the top CCV fitting since these become brittle and break easily. Might be good to pull it off of the intake too so it's out of the way unless you can just turn it back to the firewall out of the way.

When scraping any gasket residue, or RTV if anybody used it before, on the head surface/edge stick rags or paper towels along the rockers so you don't get a bunch of dirt/material down in the push rod guide holes. Make sure all gasket material is removed from both mating surfaces. Spray brake cleaner is a good/cheap method for cleaning oil/gunk out of the inside of the valve cover and cleaning the mating surfaces.

As already mentioned no need for RTV/gasket maker on your Felpro gasket. Not sure if this has the metal inserts or you use the grommets over? Biggest mistake many make is over-torquing the bolts/studs which causes the gasket to squeeze out too much or even split. Spec is only 115 inch lbs which equals 9.6 ftlbs. Good luck!

-Stalling ZJ? 12 things to check before replacing a sensor; the Dirty Dozen
-Crankshaft position sensor multimeter test. & video of testing.
Uniblurb is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2014, 12:52 PM   #6
merc07
1998 ZJ 

^^very good info as usual, uniblurb!^^
Unread 07-15-2014, 07:33 PM   #7
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

FWIW, i bought an oem gasket at dealership today for 35 bucks. are felpros better?

thanks for the refresher course professor uni
ZeeJay1997 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2014, 09:13 PM   #8
mig1289
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeJay1997 View Post
FWIW, i bought an oem gasket at dealership today for 35 bucks. are felpros better?

They're both good. Better then the leaky OEM gasket that's on there. I replaced mine using the blue fel pro last month and haven't seen a drop of oil on the driveway since
Unread 07-16-2014, 01:36 AM   #9
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by merc07 View Post
^^very good info as usual, uniblurb!^^
Thanks merc and when you're an insomniac all you have to do is write/remember! Lol.

Quote:

Right Zee, and professor of all trades, master of none!

I've always used the OEM head cover gaskets. You think them FSM boys ever heard of a valve cover? Guess not and just try finding it in a FSM search!

Regardless, one of the reasons I asked if the Felpro had metal inserts/grommets? Believe the OEM gaskets are made like that since you might not over-torque them. I'm on about the 4th valve cover gasket but guess 50K miles/per gasket may not be bad odds. I'll have to try the Felpro gasket next time around.

Unread 07-16-2014, 07:31 AM   #10
Jeepkruzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uniblurb View Post
Regardless, one of the reasons I asked if the Felpro had metal inserts/grommets?
I did a head replacement on one of my Jeeps and FelPro has the metal grommets on the valve cover, IIRC.
Jeepkruzer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2014, 08:51 AM   #11
AVR2
Web Wheeler
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uniblurb View Post
I've always used the OEM head cover gaskets. You think them FSM boys ever heard of a valve cover? Guess not and just try finding it in a FSM search!
I don't know about later years, but for the 1993 4.0L the "head cover gasket" is a cured one, and if it's damaged, you're supposed to replace the entire valve cover (since the gasket-forming material is pre-applied to it).

I remember that when I removed my valve cover for the first time, it did indeed have that tar-like gasket material, and it took forever to clean it all off the cover.
AVR2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2014, 11:29 AM   #12
zjosh93
1993 ZJ 

Yep, my 93 was the same way. I wonder too if later models are different. My valve cover has compression stops cast into the cover so you can't overtorque the gasket. I cleaned all that gunk out and have had a Fel-Pro blue gasket in there for the last 50,000 miles. I've had it off three times or so and still no leaks.
zjosh93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2014, 05:37 AM   #13
coralman
I can wish can't I?

1998 ZJ 

Put a victor on this last time. As long as it is reusable type son'y think it makes much difference as to brand. My only tip is when you install the cover keep a careful eye on the torque limiters. I spent 10 minutes looking for one at the rear that had come loose and fell right on top of a rocker arm.
Unread 07-17-2014, 05:46 AM   #14
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by coralman View Post
keep a careful eye on the torque limiters
i would have certainly been oblivious to the risk. thanks for tip. uni will give you bonus points for that.
ZeeJay1997 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2014, 09:45 AM   #15
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Quote:
i would have certainly been oblivious to the risk. thanks for tip. uni will give you bonus points for that.
Really Zee and here I thought those metal torque-limiters were like little crush sleeves!

BTW, some good info AVR2 and I wondered why that tar-like substance was so hard to remove on my 93 4.0 XJ valve cover and head mating surface. And no, I didn't change out/throw the old head/valve cover away.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.