4.0 I6 Maintenance - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 4.0 I6 Maintenance

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineGrizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! Brough

Unread 10-04-2008, 07:56 PM   #1
amargill19
2001 WJ 

4.0 I6 Maintenance

Hey guys,

the girlfriend's jeep is comin' up on about 135,000 kilometers.... (2001 WJ jeep w/ 4.0L and selec-track 4wd)

I do not know the service history of this vehicle, we've had it since about 120,000km

So far I've done a couple oil changes and the front brakes/rotors (i noticed the calipers were the upgraded akebono ones)

Some of the things I'm going to check when i do an oil change and flush/replace if required:

Front/Rear diff fluid (will probably replace rear diff fluid)

Trans fluid, T-case fluid (probably will flush trans fluid)

Power steering fluid (makes some noise, will flush)

brake fluid is ok.

I'm sure the coolant is fine for a while longer

grease the two areas on the front suspension

Is there a plug for a certain cylinder that gets dirtier/worse than the rest? Not sure if/when spark plugs were done, so I want to pull one or two and check them. It's been a while since I've poked my head under the hood, but, is this a coil on plug setup? Easy to do the plugs ? (most inline engines are)

And lastly, There would appear to be a bit of an oil sweat from the pan? Although it doesn't leak much to see it on the ground (and I'm not adding any) I noticed the rubber grommets on the valve cover (PCV system??) have a bit of oil residue around them, are there kits to clean/replace the crankcase breather?

sorry 'bout the long post. Thanks for the help in advance!

amargill19 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-04-2008, 08:00 PM   #2
amargill19
2001 WJ 

also threw a CEL earlier today, the girlfriend says.

It has thrown a few CEL's before, but they go away. I plugged the modus in one time and it said "EVAP VERY MINOR LEAK" etc but it has always gone away shortly after...

I will try and get my hands on a code reader to check it.

Anyone know a good place online to buy a new rear driver's side taillight assembly?
Unread 10-05-2008, 02:59 AM   #3
amargill19
2001 WJ 

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.