4.0 HO? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 4.0 HO?

Grizzly Lockers available at Rockridge4wd.comThe ULTIMATE "Selectable" Locker System! BroughYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 12-19-2001, 11:36 PM   #16
redneckwithajeep

i have no problem with my 4.0's power, but more power sounds like a good idea. it's not necessary, but it is sure fun! ive never driven one, but ive heard that the zj's w/a V8 are pretty powerful. if u are willing, you could sell yours and get one with a V8, but the 4.0 is ok.

'94 zj, 4.0, stock (Sadly)
redneckwithajeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2001, 01:27 AM   #17
horatio102
Web Wheeler

What are you going to use it for? The 4.0 is plenty powerful enough for just driving around. If you rock crawl you may want to change the gears, but otherwise it'll be fine. If you're going to tow a boat, you might want to consider trading it in on the 318. A buddy of mine had to use 4low to pull his rather small ski boat up the boat launch with his 4.0.
horatio102 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2001, 02:25 PM   #18
The^Knightmare

the main reason i would like to have a 5.9 v8 is so I can beat some fast car off the line and then be able to walk on it while im cruising
- 3JL 12W6s w/ Kicker ZR600
The^Knightmare is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2001, 04:58 PM   #19
horatio102
Web Wheeler

Ah yes. I liked that about my 4.7

Speaking of which, you could probably pick up a '99 or '00 Laredo 4x4 V8 for about what the '98 5.9 limited runs.
horatio102 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-23-2001, 08:12 PM   #20
Big Dumb White Guy

here's more info to chew on.

my buddy has a '97 XJ - the throttle body is about 3.000 diameter. i have a '93 ZJ and the throttle body is 3.363 diameter.

check out your throttle bodies sometime. there is a step behind the butterfly. i bought a spare one and had that diameter bored out - so it is straight thru - no step. it adds some HP. not enormous amounts but some. if anyone is interested, i had my old one bored out too (i work in a machine shop - engineer). i can let it go for $75 + shipping, if anyone is interested. it's the same thing Jeepers & Creepers does to theirs. they charge you a core charge plus to shipping charges (1 to get the new one and 1 to get the core charge back). plus they want $100 + $125 core charge. i cost, with me, and you are done. i also had mine ultrasonically cleaned.
but check your intake diameter to make sure it fits right. or you could have your intake opened up and bolt this in. a little extra power.

SORRY!!! new to this board and didn't see the swap board. delete or move this if necessary!!!

A guy walks into the psychiatrist office wearing only Glad Wrap shorts. The shrink says, "Well, I can clearly see you're nuts."
Big Dumb White Guy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.