4.0 Harmonic Balancer - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 4.0 Harmonic Balancer

Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!

Unread 12-14-2010, 07:08 PM   #1
CharlesW16
1998 ZJ 

4.0 Harmonic Balancer

Well, this one seems a little tricky.

The bottom (drive) pulley is sticking a good 1/4" farther out than it should be, and it has me thinking the harmonic balancer is fried. Now, I'm guessing this is a straightforward repair, but I have not the slightest knowledge of the workings of a harmonic balancer. I would like to attempt this myself, but am having trouble finding any tutorial like instructions.

If anyone could help guide me through this repair it would be great, I'm good with step by step. Thanks guys.

Unread 12-14-2010, 07:46 PM   #2
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

remove everything in front of the motor(rad and all that, you'll need the room), remove the pulley, then the crank bolt. attach slide hammer and the proper puller attachment. pull it off, replace front crank seal, tap balancer back on with a soft mallet. reverse process paying attention to proper torque values.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-15-2010, 10:48 AM   #3
02Lightning
1995 ZJ 

The balancer and the pulley are all one unit on the 4.0.
Unread 12-15-2010, 12:27 PM   #4
CharlesW16
1998 ZJ 

Well the outer pulley seems to be sliding off of the harmonic balancer.

Does anyone know a decent brand for the replacement? inexpensive is good, I'm 16, but at the same time I dont want it failing again.
Unread 12-15-2010, 08:42 PM   #5
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02Lightning View Post
The balancer and the pulley are all one unit on the 4.0.
thanks for clarifying
Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesW16 View Post
Well the outer pulley seems to be sliding off of the harmonic balancer.

Does anyone know a decent brand for the replacement? inexpensive is good, I'm 16, but at the same time I dont want it failing again.
the pulley is attached to the outer ring, the outer ring is attached to the hub by a rubber strip. the rubber strip is no longer glued in place properly and will throw the accessory drive off your motor if you don't fix it now.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2010, 08:55 AM   #6
ajmorell

I think I am running one from RockAuto, only ~6k miles on it but it seems decent. FWIW you can buy a puller set from Harbor Freight for like $10 to remove it. I don't think you'll be able to fit a slide hammer in there and you can't pry the thing off.
ajmorell is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2010, 12:43 PM   #7
coralman
I can wish can't I?

1998 ZJ 

Just a effort to help, but I,ve hears rumblings about dorman harmonic balancers, which is why I went to orielys and got one. Haven't installed it yet but it was 49.95 with a new key.
coralman is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2010, 04:46 PM   #8
CharlesW16
1998 ZJ 

I will pick up one soon... I haven't been driving it since I noticed this.

What exactly is the key? I understand it is necessary to use special tools for removal and installation.
Unread 12-16-2010, 04:58 PM   #9
coralman
I can wish can't I?

1998 ZJ 

The little metal piece that fits in the crank and guides the balancer into proper posistion. Its half moon shaped.
Unread 12-16-2010, 05:03 PM   #10
CharlesW16
1998 ZJ 

I thought that was part of the actual unit? As is it wasn't removable? Is Dorman a good company? i heard some others a while back saying that there harmonic balancers weren't cut out for Jeeps or something... Cant quite remember.
Unread 12-17-2010, 06:02 AM   #11
coralman
I can wish can't I?

1998 ZJ 

Thats why I went to orielys, they carry a different brand other than dorman. The key is separate piece, not made to the crank.It should just tap out carefully.
Unread 12-17-2010, 11:07 AM   #12
Myetball
1998 ZJ 

I just replaced my balancer yesterday. Had a Dorman on there since Aug '08 and the two sections were loose enough I started smelling the rubber burning. I guess when I bought the one in '08 there was only a 1 year warranty so I was SOL for free replacement even though they now have a lifetime warranty.

There was no way I was pulling the radiator out since I was 200 miles from home working only with the tools in my Jeep. Managed to jury-rig some tools with a balancer puller to get the pulley off, the threaded rod for the puller was just too long. I don't know how anyone "taps" a balancer on with a rubber mallet. Had to use a installation tool and it was a tight fit that took alot of pressure from start to fully seated. I did have to unbolt the radiator, a/c condenser, and add-on trans cooler to move the radiator about 1-2 inches for clearance with the installation tool.

BTW, I bought a puller ($16.99) but rented the installer ($44.00). You'll need an installer with an adapter fitting for 1/2"x20 threads. Autozone part number for the installer is 27144.
Myetball is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2010, 01:11 PM   #13
CharlesW16
1998 ZJ 

Has anyone used this one? More Information for ATP 102005
Unread 12-17-2010, 01:28 PM   #14
Myetball
1998 ZJ 

I'd bet they are all made in China, like Dorman, and of similar quality. Buy one with a lifetime warranty so it only costs time and maybe some bloody knuckles if it goes bad later on.
Myetball is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2010, 01:55 PM   #15
CharlesW16
1998 ZJ 

I would assume the same thing, they are all made in the same factory. Does anyone know if the OEM one is worth spending the extra on?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.