4.0 Hard starting and fuel pressure - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 4.0 Hard starting and fuel pressure

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOfficial Chassis Saver Rust Preventive Truck & Auto UnFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 05-14-2013, 03:33 PM   #1
sdjeepguy
1997 ZJ 

4.0 Hard starting and fuel pressure

Hey guys,

I have a 1997 ZJ 4.0 liter with 80,000 miles with a cold engine hard starting issue. When the engine is warm (within 20 minutes of turning it off) the engine will start immediately. If the engine is cold, it takes approx. 5 seconds of cranking for the engine to start. However, same cold engine scenario, cranking for 1 second and then releasing the key, let the starter stop spinning, and then key to start again the engine fires immediately.

The fuel pump turns on for 1-2 seconds when the key is in the on position. Fuel pressure is approx. 48 psi idling. After shutting the engine off, the fuel pressure bleeds down to 0 psi within 6 minutes.

Is there a check valve in the fuel pump that is bad not allowing fuel pressure to remain to the fuel rail after shutdown?

sdjeepguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2013, 03:43 PM   #2
dusterdude
1996 ZJ 

Sounds like its leaking down past the fuel pressure regulator which is in the tank with the pump
dusterdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2013, 04:02 PM   #3
sdjeepguy
1997 ZJ 

So would you replace just the fuel pressure regulator and/or the fuel pump? After going through the work to drop the tank, replacing both may make the most sense anyhow.
Unread 05-14-2013, 04:10 PM   #4
dusterdude
1996 ZJ 

There is a bosch pump for the 96 model for 105 dollars,im not sure the 97 uses the same pump.for the money,that is one hell of a buy
dusterdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2013, 05:48 PM   #5
98ZeeJay

Actually, I have this same issue. Had it for years now, to be honest. Just turn key on, let fuel pump do its thing (2 seconds) turn key off, back on, let fuel pump run again THEN crank it. Fires up every time.
98ZeeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2013, 07:50 PM   #6
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

It's evident the check valve in the pump assembly is bad in dropping to 0 psi after 6 mins. Drop the tank and replace the whole assembly. Since the fuel filter is on top of the pump assembly on the 97-98 ZJ's you need to drop the tank anyhow to change it out if it hasn't been done in a while. In other words go for the below new Bosch 67649 pump assembly w/filter for $120 w/free shipping for your 97 4.0 and you won't beat that price. Good luck!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-BO...9b15f5&vxp=mtr

BTW dusterdude, the 96 pump assembly is specific to only that year. But you still can't beat these prices which are $100 less than I paid last year.

-Stalling ZJ? 12 things to check before replacing a sensor; the Dirty Dozen
-Crankshaft position sensor multimeter test. & video of testing.
Uniblurb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2013, 08:00 PM   #7
sdjeepguy
1997 ZJ 

Thanks for the info. As I understand on the 97-98 ZJ's, the fuel pressure regulator/fuel filter sits on top of the fuel pump. It appears the regulator is functioning. Do they typically fail? Should I just replace it along with the fuel pump since I have the tank off anyway?
Unread 05-15-2013, 05:25 AM   #8
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

On your 97 4.0 the fuel pressure regulator is built into the pump assembly and it's under the fuel filter on top as well as the check valve being underneath. The check valves are known to fail but don't believe the fuel pressure regulators do. Regardless, replace the whole unit so you'll have a new pump, fuel pressure regulator, check valve, fuel filter, float/fuel gauge sending unit, etc..

BTW, I bought a new Mopar tank/pump rubber seal at the dealer and paid $15 for it. Turns out it came with the assembly so I took it back. You may want to wait and see if it comes with the assembly before buying one. On a side note these Bosch pump assemblies are supposed to be better than OE, the pump runs cooler/quiet, and a Bosch tech rep told me they assembly/supply them for Chrysler. Good luck.

-Stalling ZJ? 12 things to check before replacing a sensor; the Dirty Dozen
-Crankshaft position sensor multimeter test. & video of testing.
Uniblurb is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.