4.0 Engine Sqeaking/Noise? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 4.0 Engine Sqeaking/Noise?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 09-13-2009, 08:37 PM   #1
easydog84
1998 ZJ 

4.0 Engine Sqeaking/Noise?

Hello,
I have a 98 ZJ 4.0, that has a squeaking noise. It all started after I replaced some parts. The following is what has happened and any help would be appritated. The radiator was leaking. I replaced the radiator and desided to do the water pump and thermostat at the same time. So I replaced all that and then test drove the jeep and it was running fine. All of a sudden a couple days later it started squeaking. I then desided to jump in and see what is going on. I thought at first maybe I had a defective water pump, and had a couple of people take a look at it and say it looked defective. So I pulled the pump back off and took the water pump back and replaced it again. The sqeaking was still there. Then I thought well maybe it's the idler pulleys going bad so I replaced both of the pulleys.(The adjustable one and the stationary one) That did not take care of it. I started testing where the noise was coming from, I thought it was the A/C unit. I went down to advanced auto parts and picked up an A/C eliminator pulley and tried that. Still there. At that point I was very frustrated and pulled the altenator off and took that down to advanced auto parts and had that tested. That turned out good. Now at this point I was thinking it was the power steering pump pulley but I would think if that was going bad I would here it squeal when turning the wheel. And it squeals no matter what is going on. I rinsed off the belt before I put it back on this time and the noise was gone. Then I am guessing here that after the belt dried off it started sqealing again. So I sprayed some water on the belt while the jeep was running and the noise went away. Then it would come back. It does that all the time. After I spray a little water or PB blaster on the belt, the noise will go away. Then come back after a souple of minutes. And that's where I am at.

easydog84 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-13-2009, 08:41 PM   #2
jmfirefighter20
2012 JK Wrangler 

Maybe try a different belt? Did you put on a new belt when you did all the work? Try a Goodyear Gatorback belt....they're supposed to be better than the standard ribbed ones, I use one (but didn't have a squeaking noise or anything before hand...my belt was going.) The belt was about $26 or &28 and some change at Autozone.

'90 Jeep Wrangler YJ
1975 IHC Fleetstar 2010A Fire truck
'01 Jeep GC Laredo (SOLD)
1962 IHC BC-160 Fire Hose Wagon (SOLD)
jmfirefighter20 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-13-2009, 09:25 PM   #3
gy2000
1998 TJ Wrangler 

My was doing the samething. but I'm sure the power steering pully went bad. When the rpm goes higher, it sounds louder.
gy2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-14-2009, 10:02 PM   #4
rooster51
1997 ZJ 

you need to re-tighten your belt by adjusting your tensioner pully. when you worked on your waterpump the belt was cold. After driving it a couple days your belt has heated-up and streched a bit.
yes, ive done this the past 3 times ive moved/removed/replaced my belt for any reason.
Unread 09-15-2009, 12:09 AM   #5
Myetball
1998 ZJ 

I went through the same problem recently. Would squeal non-stop when hot and only sometimes when cold. Cost me a new water pump and reman alternator and replaced the fan clutch under warranty. Still squealed like crazy. Finally got under the Jeep with a piece of hose, one end jammed in my ear, the other probing around for the source. Turned out sound was coming from the harmonic balancer. Bought a new one and a new timing cover seal.

When I pulled it apart I noticed absolutely zero oil getting to the seal from inside the cover. The seal was well worn and had worn a nice shiny groove in the balancer. Since the seal wasn't getting any oil, I lubed the new one with some grease and installed the new balancer. Squeal gone.
Myetball is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-15-2009, 07:37 AM   #6
doublejz
2004 WJ 

Every time I got the sqeaking with my 4.0 zj it turned out to be the water pump. Maybe you got a bad one when you replaced yours. Which I later found that I had a bad harominic balancer aka crank pulley which was causing the belt to wobble and therefore taking out the waterpump.
Unread 09-15-2009, 08:12 PM   #7
sandman
1993 ZJ 

does everything spin true? when i had a squeak it was my harmonic balancer and when i looked at it spinning i could tell it had a slight wobble.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.