4.0 Engine Knock - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 4.0 Engine Knock

Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 01-15-2010, 12:50 PM   #1
zeekracing
2006 TJ Wrangler 

4.0 Engine Knock

My wife drives a 2000 WJ with a 4.0 and it has right under 180,000 miles on it. It has been a great vehicle other then the death wobble we still have trouble with it. She puts a lot of mile on it and I was running conventional castrol 5-30 in it and was changing oil all the time. I wanted to try the new castrol edge oil that will last 15k or one year. I know I might have trouble with using oil and leaks by going to a synthetic with having that many miles on her ( the jeep lol ). We have about 7k on the oil now and it is still very tacky and looks good. We haven't leak or used a drop of oil. Everything was great until a couple weeks ago the motor started to know when we first started it and ****inued until warmed up. Now It will knock anytime under load. I'm going to go buy some oil conventional oil and hopefully that will help. I've noticed a lot of power loss since the jeep was almost new when we got it. I still have the original cat and muffler on it. I will be replacing them too. Wish me luck. let me know anything that could help. Thanks

zeekracing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2010, 01:20 PM   #2
4Slow9erHybrid
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeekracing View Post
My wife drives a 2000 WJ with a 4.0 and it has right under 180,000 miles on it. It has been a great vehicle other then the death wobble we still have trouble with it. She puts a lot of mile on it and I was running conventional castrol 5-30 in it and was changing oil all the time. I wanted to try the new castrol edge oil that will last 15k or one year. I know I might have trouble with using oil and leaks by going to a synthetic with having that many miles on her ( the jeep lol ). We have about 7k on the oil now and it is still very tacky and looks good. We haven't leak or used a drop of oil. Everything was great until a couple weeks ago the motor started to know when we first started it and ****inued until warmed up. Now It will knock anytime under load. I'm going to go buy some oil conventional oil and hopefully that will help. I've noticed a lot of power loss since the jeep was almost new when we got it. I still have the original cat and muffler on it. I will be replacing them too. Wish me luck. let me know anything that could help. Thanks
Search for "broken piston skirts". I'm afraid you'll find this to be an issue with many newer 4.0 engines (1999+). I hope it's not that in your case, but the knocking might be an early sign. If the knock gets worse and continues after warm up, that's bad news.
1997 JGC Laredo 4.0 4x4 99900mi * 0W30 German Castrol since 75k * 225/75/R15 Firestone Destination AT on Ravine rims * winter 235/75/R15 Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V1 * UC suspension * Monroe Reflex Monotube shocks * factory skids * KOR steering brace * rear Addco SB * Magnaflow cat and cat back system * complete 5.9 interior
4Slow9erHybrid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2010, 02:21 PM   #3
LordHobbit
1993 ZJ 

I'd change that synth at 6k if it were me.

Isn't red the only color a vehicle should be?
If at first you don't succeed, use more speed.
LordHobbit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2010, 02:26 PM   #4
zeekracing
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHobbit View Post
I'd change that synth at 6k if it were me.
I was really suprised how good the oil still was in it. The oil felt better then regular oil when its new. I think castrol edge is a great oil. It may not have anything to do with the knock issue but I am going to change it later to see.
Unread 01-15-2010, 02:40 PM   #5
RhinofiedZJ
1995 ZJ 

Reading these posts scare me as I've always ran synthetics, in all my used vehicles but from what I can see even though the 4.0's are rock solid if you run the i.e. copper plugs, conventional oil, and try to stay away from all the newer age synthetic fluids then they last forever. So with my first oil change coming I was going to use 3 qt. 10w-40 Mobil One High Mileage and 3 qt. 5w-40 mobil one diesel oil since it has more zddp and zinc which supposedly our 4.0's like a lot seeing they have flat tappet cams. What do you guys think? Run all 6 qts of 5w-40 Mobil turbo diesel due to the 1200 vs. 800 gasoline oil ZDDP restrictions? Or run a High Mileage oil like the 10w-40 Mobil One. Or blend the two as I was...It has 10w-40 GTX in it now which I have seen to be a good cheap oil, but I like the Mobil One stuff. I'd really like to try Amsoil just kinda taken aback by the price plus the shipping cost to send me some. If I did get Amsoil I'd go ahead and get tranny, and diff fluid at once so the shipping would only be a one time thing, and get some filters too.

Last edited by RhinofiedZJ; 01-15-2010 at 02:41 PM.. Reason: mispell and addition
RhinofiedZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2010, 03:26 PM   #6
LordHobbit
1993 ZJ 

you can blend them that's fine. I'd stick with the diesel oil. I'm planning on running it when I need to change oil again.

Isn't red the only color a vehicle should be?
If at first you don't succeed, use more speed.
LordHobbit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-17-2010, 12:32 PM   #7
zeekracing
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Well I changed the oil and put some miles on it and the knock is still there. You can hear it a little at idle and its a little louder under load. It gets faster with the motor but stops after about 2500 rpm. I'm going to start doing research on rebuild or maybe stroker or 4.7 swap. I'll see what all the options are and costs. Hopefully it will hold up for a while.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.