4.0 auto tranny endurance.. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 4.0 auto tranny endurance..

Attention to the TJ owners 1996-2006 NEW LED LIGHT OPTIONSBds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 05-08-2003, 06:57 PM   #1
reddog093

4.0 auto tranny endurance..

I plan to do some basic upgrading to my 96 GC Limited's engine this summer, such as intake/exhaust/headers and such. I was curious on how much power the stock automatic tranny can handle without breaking down too quickly. I've only been recently getting into cars and don't know much about transmissions so any help would be appreciated.. thanks!

Unread 05-10-2003, 02:31 AM   #2
Interloper

not much, the 42RE transmission is prone to failure. Mines screwing up bad, not wanting to downshift, slipping etc. DCX is all to aware of the problem, they just don't care and keep turning out junk.

"nobody cares what's underneath," ...Dieter Zetsche

Last edited by Interloper; 05-10-2003 at 02:22 PM..
Interloper is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-10-2003, 10:15 AM   #3
RCK96

Make sure to do the annual maintenence, you will extend the life of the tranny. Our ZJ is at 100K, and still going stong. We make sure to get a flush and filter change every year. I HIGHLY recommend this with any Chrysler product (I do it on my Ram, too)
RCK96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-11-2003, 12:20 AM   #4
reddog093

Thanks for the info...I'll keep it light on engine mods for a while...

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.