4.0 auto erratic idle and flaky speedometer - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 4.0 auto erratic idle and flaky speedometer

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 03-22-2013, 07:51 PM   #1
venom8lss
1995 ZJ 

4.0 auto erratic idle and flaky speedometer

Hey everyone,

I just lucked into the purchase of a 1995 Grand Cherokee Laredo with about 120,000 miles on the clock for $1,000 . It is a 4.0 auto with the 249 transfer case. I knew going in that it needed a new VC for the transfer case and have made peace with that aspect. The other reason it was so cheap was the fact it was having a shift issue at 45 mph.
After getting a chance to really get it out on the road and up to speed, it shifts fine through all gears but will randomly jerk above 45 mph. I have also noticed that when I lift off the gas, the rpms will bounce around as it coasts. I had the truck shut off when I put it in park a few times, but it restarted both times. The speedometer is also randomly working or not working as well.
With these symptoms, any ideas what I should change first? I know that the TPS, speed sensor, and crankshaft sensor could all be culprits according to the forums, but I would like to know what some of you guys and gals might suggest.

venom8lss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2013, 04:06 AM   #2
KoreaZJ
1994 ZJ 

Welcome to JF!

Check for fault codes on both CE lamp and O/D OFF lamp.

Learn how... HERE
KoreaZJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.