3M or alternative? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 3M or alternative?

Nitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 12-15-2007, 10:24 AM   #1
EisBlade
Web Wheeler

1999 WJ 

3M or alternative?

Not being fond of the faded and weathered grey plastic coloration that dominates the entire lower portion of my WJ I decided to paint it with black spray-on truck bed liner. I've ran the front bumper with this stuff for almost 2 years now and it's held up very well, with no nicks, scratches, or flaking so I moving on to the next phase; completing the rest.

I pulled off the rear bumper and sanded it down in the garage then suspended it from the ceiling so that I could paint easily. Now both front and rear have several coats on, are installed, and look very nice. What I'm working on now are the side panels. I've finished up the shorties that are forward of the front doors, and have pulled the rest of the drivers side off.
(If you decide to do this yourself, be careful when dislodging the top portion of each panel or you could break the plastic tabs.) The bottoms of these panels are held in place by double-sided tape...and that's what I'm looking for now so that I have everything once ready to reinstall. Would anyone know where to find this stuff? The thickness of it isn't much at all...maybe about a 1/4 of the width of what you'd find for weatherstripping windows and doors of a house or something.

Thanks!

The largest forum on Facebook for Road King and larger touring models.

Disclaimer:Not responsible for men of weak character.
EisBlade is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2007, 03:50 PM   #2
FlipFlop425
2004 WJ 

Use 3M automotive double stick tape. It holds up the best and last forever as long as surface is clean and tape is put on flat. Its worth the extra money IMO.
FlipFlop425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2007, 05:18 PM   #3
Vestjam

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlipFlop425
Use 3M automotive double stick tape. It holds up the best and last forever as long as surface is clean and tape is put on flat. Its worth the extra money IMO.
Agreed..... Some autopart stores will carry this or you could stop in at a local autobody shop and see where they order their's from.... Chances are you'll find a good local supplier.

1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport
4.0L/AW4, Yakima Roof Rack
Vestjam is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-15-2007, 06:09 PM   #4
Kruzin
1993 ZJ 

I have tried many types of tape, single sided, double sided, of all varieties.
3M has always been the best.
Kruzin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-16-2007, 10:14 AM   #5
EisBlade
Web Wheeler

1999 WJ 

Hmmm, alright. I'll give AutoZone or something like that a try first, then go from there. Thanks!
The largest forum on Facebook for Road King and larger touring models.

Disclaimer:Not responsible for men of weak character.
EisBlade is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.