3M or alternative? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 Old 12-15-2007, 10:24 AM Thread Starter
EisBlade
Web Wheeler

1999 WJ 

3M or alternative?

Not being fond of the faded and weathered grey plastic coloration that dominates the entire lower portion of my WJ I decided to paint it with black spray-on truck bed liner. I've ran the front bumper with this stuff for almost 2 years now and it's held up very well, with no nicks, scratches, or flaking so I moving on to the next phase; completing the rest.

I pulled off the rear bumper and sanded it down in the garage then suspended it from the ceiling so that I could paint easily. Now both front and rear have several coats on, are installed, and look very nice. What I'm working on now are the side panels. I've finished up the shorties that are forward of the front doors, and have pulled the rest of the drivers side off.
(If you decide to do this yourself, be careful when dislodging the top portion of each panel or you could break the plastic tabs.) The bottoms of these panels are held in place by double-sided tape...and that's what I'm looking for now so that I have everything once ready to reinstall. Would anyone know where to find this stuff? The thickness of it isn't much at all...maybe about a 1/4 of the width of what you'd find for weatherstripping windows and doors of a house or something.

Thanks!

JT
Owner: Harley-Davidson Touring Group [43K members]

Disclaimer:Not responsible for men of weak character.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 12-15-2007, 03:50 PM
FlipFlop425
2004 WJ 

Use 3M automotive double stick tape. It holds up the best and last forever as long as surface is clean and tape is put on flat. Its worth the extra money IMO.
post #3 of 5 Old 12-15-2007, 05:18 PM
Vestjam
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlipFlop425
Use 3M automotive double stick tape. It holds up the best and last forever as long as surface is clean and tape is put on flat. Its worth the extra money IMO.
Agreed..... Some autopart stores will carry this or you could stop in at a local autobody shop and see where they order their's from.... Chances are you'll find a good local supplier.

2008 Jeep Wrangler X (Hard Top)
Incubus Off Road 511's with BFG 285/70-17

1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport
4.0L/AW4, Yakima Roof Rack
post #4 of 5 Old 12-15-2007, 06:09 PM
Kruzin
Web Wheeler

1993 ZJ 

I have tried many types of tape, single sided, double sided, of all varieties.
3M has always been the best.

'09 Rubicon
post #5 of 5 Old 12-16-2007, 10:14 AM Thread Starter
EisBlade
Web Wheeler

1999 WJ 

Hmmm, alright. I'll give AutoZone or something like that a try first, then go from there. Thanks!

JT
Owner: Harley-Davidson Touring Group [43K members]

Disclaimer:Not responsible for men of weak character.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.