350 Small Block Conversion - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 350 Small Block Conversion

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 11-10-2013, 09:35 AM   #1
Boondocks4x4
1996 ZJ 

350 Small Block Conversion

So I have a 96' Grand Cherokee and im thinking of doing the Chevrolet 350 conversion on it. What are the pros and cons of doing it? Any tips or advise?

Boondocks4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-10-2013, 11:40 AM   #2
xcaliber81
1994 ZJ 

your jeep wont like the chevy engine, why not spend the $$ and do up the 5.2 or is yours a 4.0? and the starter might not be on the proper side and the trans might not work from 318 to 350.
Unread 11-10-2013, 11:58 AM   #3
Boondocks4x4
1996 ZJ 

I have the 4.0 in it right now. I love the motor I just want more power
Unread 11-10-2013, 12:05 PM   #4
Snowfan2
1998 ZJ 

I would install a 5.9 and either build it, supercharge or turbo it, or all three. Then I'd give the thousands of dollars saved to some hungry folk and call it a day.

95% of the engineering is already done for that. Putting a Chevy small block in will cost a fortune, take forever and probably not work well. It sounds fun but I would guess the fun will wear out long before the job is done. If you are in it for the advanced tech of a newer small block Chevy-go for it. Be sure to post the build.

Or

Go test drive a 9er.
Snowfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-10-2013, 12:10 PM   #5
Boondocks4x4
1996 ZJ 

It will be a few months before I make a decision. But ill post the build for sure
Unread 11-10-2013, 04:32 PM   #6
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

How in the heck are you going to make a Chevy motor and trans fit? Get out the saw zall!
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-10-2013, 06:27 PM   #7
HighLonesome
Belief In All Things Jeep

1995 ZJ 

You may have a 350 long block or short block or small block, but not a big block.
HighLonesome is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-10-2013, 06:39 PM   #8
BoostinBubba
1996 ZJ 

If you're going to swap it, do it right. Use a Gen III Chevy smallblock, 4.8, 5.3, and the 6.0 are all excellent swap candidates. A 4.8/5.3 with a good tune is good for an easy 20-22 mpg in a ZJ.
BoostinBubba is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-10-2013, 06:58 PM   #9
Texas ZJ1
Jeep Jedi Master

1994 ZJ 

I think you're putting a round peg in a square hole. Lots of more money for a Chevy product into a jeep.

94 5.9 Laredo 6.5 RE lift with 35 Maxxis Bighorns
and 33 Bridgestone Duelers
Detroit and true trac
Red Jeep Club Member
REDNECK JCM
Texas Jeep Owner #6
USN Jeep Club #4
http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/

For your performance needs:

kolak@kolakperformance.com
Texas ZJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-10-2013, 07:36 PM   #10
Bullwinkle_98ZJ
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boondocks4x4 View Post
I have the 4.0 in it right now. I love the motor I just want more power
If you want more power then do the 5.2 or 5.9 mod. What the 4.0L lacks in power, it makes up for in reliability.
With just the 5.2, YOU WILL DEFINITELY NOTICE A DIFFERENCE.

With the GM block, you will have to fabricate something or a lot of things for it to fit.

If you go the MOPAR route, there are a ton of parts that can be had for DIRT CHEAP (outside of the engine and transmission) available at a Junkyard near you, that will allow a total BOLT-ON upgrade. No Torches, no Welding, no trips to a machine shop.

Good luck.
Unread 11-10-2013, 09:08 PM   #11
1slo_camaro
1998 ZJ 

I love my SBCs but if you want to put a SBC into a jeep go buy a CJ/YJ... If you want your ZJ to go fast then turbo/stroke the 4.0 or swap yourself a 5.2/5.9 throw in head/cam and tune and some gears and for that big brick im sure youll push it through the wind pretty quick
1slo_camaro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-10-2013, 11:48 PM   #12
StPaul59
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowfan2 View Post
I would install a 5.9 and either build it, supercharge or turbo it, or all three. Then I'd give the thousands of dollars saved to some hungry folk and call it a day.

95% of the engineering is already done for that. Putting a Chevy small block in will cost a fortune, take forever and probably not work well. It sounds fun but I would guess the fun will wear out long before the job is done. If you are in it for the advanced tech of a newer small block Chevy-go for it. Be sure to post the build.

Or

Go test drive a 9er.

As much as I like the 5.9, I would say the 5.2 is a much better option. Parts are much easier to come by. Engine/trans/pcms... My old 5.2 with just a cat back exhaust and K&N was damn near as good as any stock 5.9. That thing flew.
StPaul59 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-11-2013, 04:03 AM   #13
zj97ltd
1993 ZJ 

For what it'd cost to swap to a GM drive train you could probably shoehorn a late model Hemi and trans in there. Either way it won't be fun, or easy.
zj97ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-11-2013, 06:25 AM   #14
Snowfan2
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by StPaul59 View Post
As much as I like the 5.9, I would say the 5.2 is a much better option. Parts are much easier to come by. Engine/trans/pcms... My old 5.2 with just a cat back exhaust and K&N was damn near as good as any stock 5.9. That thing flew.
I liked my 5.2 also.
Snowfan2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.