33x10.5s without cutting metal? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 33x10.5s without cutting metal?

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Ruffstuff 3 Link Kit!

Unread 03-27-2014, 06:10 PM   #1
MrSpooky
1998 ZJ 

33x10.5s without cutting metal?

Hello, I am thinking about building up my ZJ but I am getting different views on fitting 33x10.5s with no trimming. I have no problem cutting the plastic bumpers but I do not want to start cutting on the body. Eventually I will get some off road bumpers with more clearance but I want to get it lifted with tires first. Is that possible with 3.5 or 4.5 to 5.5 inches of lift with proper bumpstops and 3.5-4 inches of backspacing on the wheels?

I have had the Jeep since new and the body is super straight and clean. I just cant bring myself to start cutting it up like I did my other Jeeps. Don't plan on crawling it, just using it as a camping, outdoor vehicle.

Thanks
Mike

MrSpooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2014, 06:19 PM   #2
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

On a properly set up lift, you should be fine at about 4" of lift.
WhiteOut is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2014, 06:24 PM   #3
JasonStebbins
1997 ZJ 

Proper bump stops will be the key factor. Light trails to campgrounds shouldn't stuff the tires way up there anyway so you should be good.
JasonStebbins is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2014, 08:33 PM   #4
jeeepguy
1998 ZJ 

Use 31s instead and eliminate any issue at all.

"Great danger lies in the notion that we can reason with evil"
Doug Patton
Quote:
...We use words like honor, code, loyalty. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. ...I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said thank you, and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon, and stand a post...
Quote:
I bought the HI-WAY BLASTER HORN that's 139dB and every time I honk the horn an Angel dies.
Quote:
Revelation 13:16-18
16 - He causes all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and slave, to receive a mark on their right hand or on their foreheads,
17 - and that no one may buy or sell except one who has the mark or the name of the beast, or the number of his name.
18 - Here is wisdom. Let him who has understanding calculate the number of the beast, for it is the number of a man: (Real ID and RFID chips)
Think about it...
jeeepguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2014, 08:57 PM   #5
JasonStebbins
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeepguy View Post
Use 31s instead and eliminate any issue at all.
Pretty much the best idea unless you really want bigger tires. If you don't plan on wheeling very much a solid set of 31" A/Ts or M/Ts will work fine for your needs.
Unread 03-27-2014, 08:59 PM   #6
tucsonzj
1995 ZJ 

you are aware that when you do flares you cut metal right?

but yes if you're that worried about it just do 31s
Unread 03-27-2014, 09:10 PM   #7
JasonStebbins
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucsonzj View Post
you are aware that when you do flares you cut metal right?

but yes if you're that worried about it just do 31s
Who said anything about flares?
Unread 03-27-2014, 09:12 PM   #8
JohnnyZJ
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

33x10.50 is a great combo with 3.75" back space and a 3.5" lift. 31s are ghey.

you will need to hammer down the inner pinch seam on the inner fender. go look you will see a 1" piece of metal sticking out. hammer it flat. there is no worry with doing that. it won't hurt it. I would also trim the inner fender plastic pieces too
JohnnyZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2014, 11:07 AM   #9
tucsonzj
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyZJ View Post
33x10.50 is a great combo with 3.75" back space and a 3.5" lift. 31s are ghey.

you will need to hammer down the inner pinch seam on the inner fender. go look you will see a 1" piece of metal sticking out. hammer it flat. there is no worry with doing that. it won't hurt it. I would also trim the inner fender plastic pieces too
You mean rip them out right?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Unread 03-28-2014, 11:17 AM   #10
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
You mean rip them out right?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Rip out the pinch seam? Just hammer it flat and hit it with some black paint. Takes a few minutes on each side at the rear of the wheel well. You can rip the front plastic out no problem.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2014, 12:42 PM   #11
tucsonzj
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
Rip out the pinch seam? Just hammer it flat and hit it with some black paint. Takes a few minutes on each side at the rear of the wheel well. You can rip the front plastic out no problem.
i meant the plastic haha

fyi I just threw my 33x12.5 under my 3.5" lift. Planning on trimming and adjustable arms will be on their way when I sell of the old tires (for those who are about to bash me)
Unread 03-28-2014, 01:12 PM   #12
huntsducks70
1998 ZJ 

just don't disco the front and you will be fine, when you disco is when you have to deal with stuffage
Unread 03-28-2014, 01:43 PM   #13
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
i meant the plastic haha

fyi I just threw my 33x12.5 under my 3.5" lift. Planning on trimming and adjustable arms will be on their way when I sell of the old tires (for those who are about to bash me)
When I get another one I'm going to do what TimoXJ did and chop off the fenders and cut into the wheel well to make more room. I'll run as little lift as I need to get 35's under it.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-28-2014, 02:17 PM   #14
tucsonzj
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
When I get another one I'm going to do what TimoXJ did and chop off the fenders and cut into the wheel well to make more room. I'll run as little lift as I need to get 35's under it.
kinda my thought. lower lift with biggest tires...I need a welder! haha
Unread 03-28-2014, 10:32 PM   #15
MrSpooky
1998 ZJ 

Thanks for all the help. I think I will go 3.5, hammer the pinch weld and ditch the plastic liners and 33x10.5s. If I need more lift I will use a 1 inch spacer and some adj arms, and adj track bars. Just personal opinion, but I don't want to spend money on a lift, and new tires for just 31s. I say I don't plan on crawling it but I seem to always find myself in the rocks, especially here in CO.

Thanks
Mike
MrSpooky is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.