30k mile service for 4.0L I6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 30k mile service for 4.0L I6

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 10-13-2005, 10:37 PM   #1
JCDubya
2009 WK 

30k mile service for 4.0L I6

I'm about due for my 30K mile service. I have a couple questions. One of the things listed is tranny fluid change, internal filter, and adjust bands. Is it hard to "adjust the bands"?

It also lists spark plugs, should I just go with mopar, or aftermarket?

JCDubya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-16-2005, 12:41 AM   #2
JCDubya
2009 WK 

nobody?
Unread 10-16-2005, 03:52 AM   #3
michiganmaveric
Got Beer?

2011 JK Wrangler 

As far as spark plugs go I use the recommended Champions, but I generaly don't change mine until about 70,000.

I can't tell you anything about the trans adjustment as I have never tried it. I took mine to the dealer for the trans service.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, how do you have time to do it over.

Lifetime member #13

www.militaryjeepers.com lifetime member/airforce26yrs

2011 Tango/Mango JKU
michiganmaveric is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-16-2005, 09:06 AM   #4
Woody
Retired back to Bowties

Band adjustment is not hard. Get a Haynes manual and it details all you need to know. If you do it yourself you will need a Torque wrench. I mention that because everything else isn't all that abnormal, but the torque wrench isn't something everyone has.

At 30K I would change the fluids in both differentials as well. For plugs, and we had a thread on this a few months back. I recommend Champion truck plugs. They are not platinum, but they are heavy duty and work great in all vehicles I've run them in. Don't do the multi-tip things, they don't make a noticable difference and cost a lot.

Sorry I didn't post earlier, I overlooked it.
Unread 10-16-2005, 09:53 AM   #5
JCDubya
2009 WK 

I checked my FSM CD, (why do I always forget about that thing?). It doesn't seem hard at all. Basically just torque it down to spec, then back it off X amount of turns? I just wasn't sure if it was harder or more involved than it seemed. I do have a torque wrench, Craftsman Digitork, and it sure got a workout yesterday!

It looks as though the 4.0L oil pan gasket is reusable. Is this the case, or should I put a new one on anyway? To drop the pan, does anything else have to be removed first? I keep forgetting to take notice when I'm under the thing...

For the spark plugs, it looks like NGKs are what's in it now. Should I just keep using those? Here

Last edited by JCDubya; 10-16-2005 at 10:10 AM..
Unread 10-16-2005, 10:24 AM   #6
ksgrands
1997 TJ Wrangler 

2004 maybe doesn't need band adjustments, my 2000 doesn't, according to Haynes. I've reused the mopar gaskets, I know they work. Yours may not have come with one from the factory. Mine had the cork, but use the reusable, saves alot of scraping. Again, I'm basing this on my 2000. Please do yourself a favor and keep up with the tranny fluid intervals, they really like the fluid changes.
89 Comanche Pioneer 2wd
97 Wrangler Sport
ksgrands is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-16-2005, 10:24 AM   #7
Woody
Retired back to Bowties

Don't reuse gaskets. Bad idea altogether. Don't pull the oil pan either otherwise you'll be doing more work than you have to. Pull the transmission pan instead. This is very messy. When you buy the tranny filter the gasket should be included with the kit.

If your plugs need changing, I'd go with the truck plugs. But that's just me.
Unread 10-16-2005, 10:34 AM   #8
ksgrands
1997 TJ Wrangler 

The Mopar gasket is separate and thats what I recommend(not cork). By the way I highly recommend Mopar fluid. Too many questions about compatibility with the others. I spent about $50 at my dealer for 6 qts fluid, filter and reusable gasket. I know everyone wants to save, but this is one area I think it's money well spent. And I just assumed he meant the tranny oil pan,(Ihope).
89 Comanche Pioneer 2wd
97 Wrangler Sport
Unread 10-16-2005, 10:38 AM   #9
JCDubya
2009 WK 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ksgrands
The Mopar gasket is separate and thats what I recommend(not cork). By the way I highly recommend Mopar fluid. Too many questions about compatibility with the others. I spent about $50 at my dealer for 6 qts fluid, filter and reusable gasket. I know everyone wants to save, but this is one area I think it's money well spent. And I just assumed he meant the tranny oil pan,(Ihope).
Yes, that's what I meant. I'm still getting used to this whole automatic thing

just an FYI, my 2004 FSM recommends the tranny bands be adjusted every 30K miles. I just had my tranny rebuilt at 20K, so I'll probably wait another 10K before I do the tranny service.
Unread 10-16-2005, 12:18 PM   #10
ksgrands
1997 TJ Wrangler 

I need to get one of those FSM's.
89 Comanche Pioneer 2wd
97 Wrangler Sport

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.