3" Budget Lift - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 3" Budget Lift

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control Arms

Unread 07-15-2013, 02:09 AM   #1
Jramos43
1996 ZJ 

3" Budget Lift

I'm putting 3" blocks on the springs but just that for now. What risks am I running at if any ?

Unread 07-15-2013, 02:19 AM   #2
Oldfrog
Web Wheeler
1997 ZJ 

I'm thinking....death, maybe?
I think you have to change more than just adding blocks under the springs if you want to go over 2 inches. Pinion angles might need changing, sway bar end links...shocks, track bar...etc. But I'm no expert on lifts for certain. 'Just seem to have heard anything over 2 inches needs a lot of stuff for the geometry to be right.

Words of wisdom, Posted by Zeejay:
"..it's not air, it is the opposite of air... suckage so to speak."

Stalling? Work through Zeejay's list
Oldfrog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2013, 02:35 AM   #3
Jramos43
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfrog View Post
I'm thinking....death, maybe?
I think you have to change more than just adding blocks under the springs if you want to go over 2 inches. Pinion angles might need changing, sway bar end links...shocks, track bar...etc. But I'm no expert on lifts for certain. 'Just seem to have heard anything over 2 inches needs a lot of stuff for the geometry to be right.
Yeah ill be adding all that soon, but if I drive it with just the 3inch for say.... 3-4 weeks will anything major break? Hopefully not death lol
Unread 07-15-2013, 08:53 AM   #4
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

The rear spring posts are not long enough so a coil may or may not pop out if you wheel it. You won't know the other problems until you get it on. Then the weak/worn out stock parts will be revealed.
It will also offset your axles so they won't be centered under the Jeep anymore without adj track bars. You will also need longer swaybar endlinks.

Also if you have CV front drive shaft then count on that breaking the first time you wheel it.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2013, 08:55 AM   #5
Jramos43
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
The rear spring posts are not long enough so a coil may or may not pop out if you wheel it. You won't know the other problems until you get it on. Then the weak worn out links will be revealed.
It will also offset your axles so they won't be centered under the Jeep anymore without adj track bars. You will also need longer swaybar endlinks.

So i should just wait unfilled I have everything else to put it on ?
Unread 07-15-2013, 08:59 AM   #6
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jramos43 View Post
So i should just wait unfilled I have everything else to put it on ?
That would be the smart thing to do.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2013, 10:47 AM   #7
JohnnyZJ
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

you'll blow out the stock shocks likely. probably end up with deathwobble too
just wait. whats a few weeks?
13' GMC Sierra ~ 2.5" lift 33" MTs.
RIP 95 ZJ ~ 33s built/longarmed/locked/awesome Feb 2014 ZJOTM winner
JohnnyZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2013, 10:55 AM   #8
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

you could also do it right and get 3.5" springs, rather than a big puck.
Unread 07-15-2013, 11:12 AM   #9
zj97ltd
1993 ZJ 

I don't have pesonal experience but from what I've read up on on this forum and another, I think BB's over 2-2.25" are way overdoing it safety-wise. You may want to seriously consider a kit that comes with longer arms, springs, shocks, bars, etc. 1 stop shopping and the parts are made to work with one another.
zj97ltd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2013, 01:03 PM   #10
Jramos43
1996 ZJ 

Well the reason why I bought just the blocks was cuz someone sold them to me for cheap... Where's a good place where I can find the rest of the things I need for cheap ? I'm really tight on a budget right now.
Unread 07-15-2013, 01:06 PM   #11
Octotat
1995 ZJ 

I hate to get all Suzy Orman on you, but if you're on a tight budget, you shouln't be lifting your Jeep.
Octotat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2013, 01:17 PM   #12
Jramos43
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octotat View Post
I hate to get all Suzy Orman on you, but if you're on a tight budget, you shouln't be lifting your Jeep.
Haha well... It's not that bad, I have money to spare as long as I do it right. I get paid twice a month 1 check goes to pay my truck and the other for me and my own use. So maybe its not bad
Unread 07-15-2013, 01:39 PM   #13
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

throw away those 3 inch pucks, save up some dough, and buy the 3.5" IRO kit. you'll be much happier
Unread 07-15-2013, 01:49 PM   #14
Oldfrog
Web Wheeler
1997 ZJ 

I will get "all Suzy O. on you"...chuckle....because that's what I do for a living....(when I actually work)

You should be saving one of those checks each month.
Do you know the difference in an older gentleman and an old man ?

It sucks enough, just being an older gentleman ( and you'll get there one day) ......but without money, we are just old men, so save and invest 1/2 of what you make. You'll be employing your friends in 15 years, 'cuz they'll all be broke from pizzing off all their money on junk.

Then you can take their girlfriends, buy their overpriced homes for a song and rent them out when they get laid off etc. Because cash is still "King" in this country. Sermon over. That'll be $250 please... Cash only...

Seriously...do it right. Wait til you have the money and go all in, if that's what you want. You'll be happier.

Words of wisdom, Posted by Zeejay:
"..it's not air, it is the opposite of air... suckage so to speak."

Stalling? Work through Zeejay's list
Oldfrog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2013, 02:23 PM   #15
Jramos43
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfrog View Post
I will get "all Suzy O. on you"...chuckle....because that's what I do for a living....(when I actually work)

You should be saving one of those checks each month.
Do you know the difference in an older gentleman and an old man ?

It sucks enough, just being an older gentleman ( and you'll get there one day) ......but without money, we are just old men, so save and invest 1/2 of what you make. You'll be employing your friends in 15 years, 'cuz they'll all be broke from pizzing off all their money on junk.

Then you can take their girlfriends, buy their overpriced homes for a song and rent them out when they get laid off etc. Because cash is still "King" in this country. Sermon over. That'll be $250 please... Cash only...

Seriously...do it right. Wait til you have the money and go all in, if that's what you want. You'll be happier.
Thanks mom... Just kidding that sounds like a plan and a good idea but I'm one of the worst people when it comes to saving money.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.