3.5" IRO lift kit - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 3.5" IRO lift kit

Bds fox ipf 2.0 racing series shocks now available at rockANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!

Unread 03-11-2013, 09:16 PM   #16
WkndFun
1998 ZJ 

I 100% understand everything with the trackbar. It's more my over height issues. Considering that just 2 pumps on a jack and all it does is lift the truck/wheels off ground. It doesn't compress the suspension at all. I don't see it dropping back down to the 22-22.5" range it's supposed to be at for the 3.5" lift. And yes. Everything is in the correct place.

WkndFun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-11-2013, 09:18 PM   #17
WkndFun
1998 ZJ 

Everyone that does the F<R swap doesn't have the complaint that I do. I'm certain that will fix my issue. And after returning the rear springs the adj. trackbar can fix my centering issue. Sounds like I'm the only one who has a pickup-ZJ :-/
Unread 03-11-2013, 09:23 PM   #18
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

I used up country coils in the rear with a 1" puck for the front to rear and RE 4.5" coils for the front. It was pretty tight in the rear. I wouldn't do that again though.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-11-2013, 09:54 PM   #19
WkndFun
1998 ZJ 

Yeah. That's the other thing. I could add a spacer in the front to compensate but I don't like the rake in the stock CA's. Saturday when I thought I had gotten the wrong springs and was contemplating doing the swap, I should've. It always when you don't listen to your gut instinct is when problems like this occur. Thanks again for everyone's input. I've been around many car clubs having a Modded Mustang for 6 years and I must say. Jeepers are way better. No one thinks they are better than anyone. And all they want to do is help other people like me with any issues.
Unread 03-11-2013, 09:57 PM   #20
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Personally I would do that. Toss a 3/4" spacer in front and get a set of F&R lower arms.
WhiteOut is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2013, 12:04 AM   #21
MtnboyBamm
1993 ZJ 

Location: In between Bakersfield and Valencia Ca in a small town called Frazier Park, ca
I have that same lift. I installed the springs on the right in the rear. It sits higher, but its similar to the stock rake it had. It sits like that for towing and hauling purposes. When I go camping and load the hell out of my Jeep, it sits level. If you want it level, buy front spacers. I hope to good you upgraded the shocks too. If not, its going to ride like a Sherman tank. Mine does.
MtnboyBamm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2013, 03:03 PM   #22
JohnnyZJ
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

take pics of how the jeep sits.

i dont' know what they sent you for rear springs but ZJ rear springs for a 3.5" lift will be identical in height to your stock fronts;

put it this way; the 5.5" lift springs i just sold, there is absolutely no way to mess up which is the front and which is the rear; the rears are 4.5" shorter.

i don't know, but man it sounds like you're having a ***** of a time IRO. seems like its always one guy that has mistakes pile up on them.
13' GMC Sierra ~ 2.5" lift 33" MTs.
RIP 95 ZJ ~ 33s built/longarmed/locked/awesome Feb 2014 ZJOTM winner
JohnnyZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2013, 03:12 PM   #23
bananaslug
1996 ZJ 

My "4.5" IRO coils sit very high in the rear too. i put a 1" spacer in the front and the rear still looks tall. Ill have to measure for curiosity's sake.
bananaslug is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2013, 04:38 PM   #24
WkndFun
1998 ZJ 

image-3335017262.jpg

Granted they aren't evenly matched up side to side you can tell they are the same height. And for drivability sake ill be happy as hell when I put the factory fronts on the rear. When I drive into my driveway. If I go at it straight, it's so stiff my rear tires hop off the ground and chirp. I already have the return labels ready to send upgraded springs back. And yes. I've had one issue after another and I'm hoping its almost over after I do the swap.
Unread 03-12-2013, 04:39 PM   #25
WkndFun
1998 ZJ 

And actually the new springs are about 2" taller than the OE front springs. Which also the factory fronts are a good 2" taller than the rears.... So imagine roughly 4" of added spring in the rear. Um no! Ill take pics of that hopefully tonight after I tear it back apart.
Unread 03-12-2013, 06:06 PM   #26
spidermonkey
1998 ZJ 

Spring rate affects the springs loaded height. Looking at them out of a vehicle tells you nothing of the ride height. It tells me the left ones are the fronts due to the larger diameter coil. I have the same springs and like them. I do have a heavey rear bumper, sub, tools, 33" spare and high lift in the back. I put them in yesterday and it is at 22". I have all 4 adj. arms and track bar. I got them for $50 new, in the box so I will cope with it.

Doing front to rear is a crapshoot. I did and after 3 years I snapped a coil. I think my 4.0 coils gave me 3". I had a set of upcounty's from a crusty 93 and those were too high and too stiff for my liking, more like 5". Then I put in my old front 89 XJ coils and a 1" spacer. This road smooth, flexed easy, and snapped in 6 months on the other side. Old springs may not last long if you wheel and flex them. Welcome to the world of Jeeps.

My driveway build here: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/spidermonkeys-98-zj-build-716209/
speedo reading x spd gear tooth count/gps speed = new spd gear for dead on accuracy
North Shore Wheelers www.nsw4x4.com
spidermonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2013, 08:55 PM   #27
WkndFun
1998 ZJ 

image-369250589.jpg

From right to left. Original rear(14"). Original front(17.25"). Upgraded IRO rear(19")
Unread 03-19-2013, 01:07 PM   #28
bananaslug
1996 ZJ 

After reading this thread I went and measured by IRO "4.5" inch coils and I have 7 INCHES of lift sitting at 25" hub to fender in the rear and 24.5" in front with a half inch spacer to even it out. This is after about 10K miles on these springs. Im currently looking at RE springs to replace these monsters. I dont need that amount of lift.
bananaslug is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2013, 01:52 PM   #29
JohnnyZJ
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

i would say those are 5.5" IRO rear coils ya got there.

my rough country 4" rear coils were identical to ZJ V8 fronts............
13' GMC Sierra ~ 2.5" lift 33" MTs.
RIP 95 ZJ ~ 33s built/longarmed/locked/awesome Feb 2014 ZJOTM winner
JohnnyZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2013, 03:52 PM   #30
WkndFun
1998 ZJ 

Yeah. I ended up swapping out the new ones for my OE fronts and it brought it down level to where it should have been in the 1st place. Returned them for a credit towards the adj rear trackbar since axle is still more off center than I would like.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.