3.5" IRO lift kit - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 3.5" IRO lift kit

TJ Wrangler 4" Rough Country Suspension Lift Kits in JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFIron Cross Customer JK and TJ Wrangler Bumpers now at ROCK

Unread 03-09-2013, 06:24 PM   #1
WkndFun
1998 ZJ 

3.5" IRO lift kit

I started to install my lift today. I went with the new rear springs since their age. My question is to anyone else who has went with this lift . We're your rear springs the same height? The only difference between the 4 are 2 coils aren't evenly spaced at the top as the other 2 are. So I started to look for other pics of a lift kit and most other kits. It shows the rear coils being A LOT smaller than the fronts. Did I get the wrong ones?!

image-3353871378.jpg  
WkndFun is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-09-2013, 07:55 PM   #2
SpenceAK
1995 ZJ 

I'm running the same lift but if I can remember correctly they were the same height or close to it. Just install the beefier looking coils in the front which I believe are the ones on the left in your pic. I think IRO 3.5" rear coils are really just stock V8 zj coils.
SpenceAK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-09-2013, 07:57 PM   #3
WkndFun
1998 ZJ 

Thank you very much! I've been going through a rough time with the lift kit considering if I had been shipped the right parts the past 3 times I would've already had this kit installed over a week ago. And then this looked like yet another set back. I don't get that people do the F>R swap if these springs are a good 1.5-2" taller than the stock fronts.
Unread 03-09-2013, 08:03 PM   #4
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

There is more weight in the front of a ZJ and you do not want the rear to ride as stiff as the front.
PolkaPower is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-09-2013, 08:08 PM   #5
SpenceAK
1995 ZJ 

The spring rate is different and obviously the rear of the jeep is lighter so less compression of the spring granting you higher ground clearance. I read a lot about iro sending wrong parts guess I was lucky or they made sure I had the right stuff cause I live in Alaska. Hope all goes better for you man!
SpenceAK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-09-2013, 08:11 PM   #6
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

IIRC, IRO ships progressive rear coils for this lift.
WhiteOut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-09-2013, 10:04 PM   #7
WkndFun
1998 ZJ 

I kind of figured the smaller dia. one was for the rear. My whole concern was the fact that no one has pictures of their new rear springs. So I wasn't sure if they were correct. And the way my shipping/lack of parts/wrong parts issues I had with IRO the past week I wouldn't have been surprised if I received the wrong springs.
Unread 03-11-2013, 09:33 PM   #8
WkndFun
1998 ZJ 

Update. Put the springs on pictured. Rear axle is over 1 inch off center. So far to the right that my sway bar is pressing up against spring on passenger side. Dealt with IRO 3 times today. Based on measurements. Front(21.75") hub to fender. Rear(22") hub to fender is the 3.5" lift. I'm sitting at 22.25" front and 23.5" rear. I'm sitting at 5" of lift in the rear. So they asked. Are you SURE you loosened control arms and let them sit. Hell. I drove around a bumpy *** semi parking lot at work to hopefully reduce the lift. Nope.. Only thing I can think is I should put my stock fronts to the rear and send the new rears back. Which is what I was thinking about before I put the new ones on.. Anyone else run into this issue?? And please don't say I'm the only one. Because every single issue I've had. IRO keeps saying. You are the only one who has said ALL of this in a LONG TIME... Really? I'm the only one who received 6 front shocks and no rears. I'm the only one who has rear end height issues? Come on!! *sigh....*
Unread 03-11-2013, 09:51 PM   #9
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

A) The axle is off because there is no adjustable track bar in there, as you lift the Jeep, the axle moves over. Even if you got exactly 3.5" of lift out of the back, the axle would be off. This is nothing new and is in no way IROs fault.

B) Springs will settle, the are brand new. Give it a bit. Control arms should have been loosened right off for the install and then re-torqued with all 4 wheels on the ground. Also, make sure they are correctly seated with the end of the spring in the hole on the perch with the keeper installed.
Unread 03-11-2013, 10:05 PM   #10
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Front axle goes to the drivers side and rear goes off to the passenger side. Unless you have adjustable track bars. The higher you go the more the axles are off set. The stock track bar is simply not long enough at taller heights.
Unread 03-11-2013, 10:06 PM   #11
WkndFun
1998 ZJ 

Control arms were loosened. They were thinking that it didn't settle enough. And also. Yes. The rear end will be off due to lack of no adj. trackbar in rear. But also. You look at my Jeep and you can tell its sitting almost 2" higher in rear. It seriously looks like a damn pickup. Higher based on putting a ton of **** in the back to level it out. My only problem. It's not a pickup! Kristen. The main secretary at IRO. I've been taking with her. She has the same lift as I do. Only difference is she has lower adj. CA's and even her measurements are 22" in rear and rear end is dead center. She doesn't have adj. trackbar. I'm no opposed to spending the extra $120 for it. But it won't fix it being2" higher in the rear.
Unread 03-11-2013, 10:09 PM   #12
WkndFun
1998 ZJ 

You can't tell me that a spring as beefy as they ship you will sag 2" within let's say a month or two? No.. Sorry. Not being a smart ***. Just stating facts. And yes. I know all the reasons for adj. trackbar. What's funny is with the front they give you an adj. spec of 33-5/8" center to center. I have it sitting at 30-1/8 and axle is dead center... ? I had the same **** go on with Mustang. I'm cursed with vehicles! I could fix everyone else's but mine. ALWAYS
Unread 03-11-2013, 10:12 PM   #13
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

If there is no adjustable trackbar in the rear, it is impossible to have it centered. It's basic geometry.

Double check that the springs are located correctly and let the sit for a bit. Right now you're at a bit over stock rake, it should go down.
Unread 03-11-2013, 10:13 PM   #14
WkndFun
1998 ZJ 

I'm also taking with Zack at IRO about sending these springs back to do the swap and getting an even swap for the adj. rear bar since all the issues I had with them. I am sitting on 4 extra front shocks since I had the "rears" shipped to me 2x and kept receiving fronts.
Also. I know it's not IRO's fault. It's just my bad luck.
Unread 03-11-2013, 10:13 PM   #15
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WkndFun View Post
Control arms were loosened. They were thinking that it didn't settle enough. And also. Yes. The rear end will be off due to lack of no adj. trackbar in rear. But also. You look at my Jeep and you can tell its sitting almost 2" higher in rear. It seriously looks like a damn pickup. Higher based on putting a ton of **** in the back to level it out. My only problem. It's not a pickup! Kristen. The main secretary at IRO. I've been taking with her. She has the same lift as I do. Only difference is she has lower adj. CA's and even her measurements are 22" in rear and rear end is dead center. She doesn't have adj. trackbar. I'm no opposed to spending the extra $120 for it. But it won't fix it being2" higher in the rear.

No it won't and it isn't going to settle 2" either but it will settle a little bit.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.