3.5 inch lift question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 3.5 inch lift question

NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail Ruffstuff XJ Unirail Channel Reinforcement....

Unread 01-17-2013, 08:45 PM   #1
RussMan

3.5 inch lift question

Hello all i have been dancing around lifting my 1997 I6 4X4 Jeep Grand Cherokee and my friend (who I don't like very much because he makes me spend all my money on crazy things haha) has finally talked me in to buying a lift. Anyways there is a guy in my area selling a 3.5 inch lift for 200 obo, he says it has the shocks and the 2 coils used in the front to rear swap. I haven't called him yet because it is getting late but from his post it seems like all he has is four 3.5 inch shocks and two 3.5 inch lift coils. My question is what else would I need it install this 3.5 inch lift? I'm hoping I can get him to trade a set of rims I have for it, they are really nice I just don't really need them. Also I a'm a college student so cheaper is always better for me as money is tight. What are your thoughts? Thanks, All you advice is always greatly appreciated!

"Dream as if you'll live forever, live as if you'll die today."
RussMan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-17-2013, 09:27 PM   #2
SpenceAK
1995 ZJ 

First off do you know what company made the springs and shocks? And how worn are they
Your gonna need a front adj. track bar and drop bracket to center your front axle and might as well get on for the rear so you can center your rear axle
You'll need sway bars front and rear if you plan on driving around town and at highway speeds.
Depending on how worn your front springs are determined the height for the rear so assuming theses springs your getting from this guy are new your rear may sag a little
My opinion don't buy a used coils ( assuming they are used)
If I were you I spend the money and do it right
IRO 3.5" lift kit+rear track bar+new rear coils
SpenceAK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-17-2013, 09:28 PM   #3
SpenceAK
1995 ZJ 

Oh and lifting a jeep ain't cheap especially a ZJ
Unread 01-17-2013, 09:46 PM   #4
RussMan

Well thanks for the advice his post was vague so I will call him tomorrow and get more details. He may have other parts but he only mentioned the springs and shocks. If this falls through I'm probably going to go with this kit from Iron Rock after I same a little more.
http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/Merch...egory_Code=PFZ

Unread 01-17-2013, 09:51 PM   #5
jtackerman28
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpenceAK
First off do you know what company made the springs and shocks? And how worn are they
Your gonna need a front adj. track bar and drop bracket to center your front axle and might as well get on for the rear so you can center your rear axle
You'll need sway bars front and rear if you plan on driving around town and at highway speeds.
Depending on how worn your front springs are determined the height for the rear so assuming theses springs your getting from this guy are new your rear may sag a little
My opinion don't buy a used coils ( assuming they are used)
If I were you I spend the money and do it right
IRO 3.5" lift kit+rear track bar+new rear coils
Never use a drop bracket. There's no such thing for the front and a DROP bracket for the rear track bar should never be used. Also nothing wrong with buying used lift coils. Shocks wear out so I can see where that is questionable.

And 200$ is a rip of for two springs and two shocks
Unread 01-17-2013, 10:09 PM   #6
RussMan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtackerman28 View Post
Never use a drop bracket. There's no such thing for the front and a DROP bracket for the rear track bar should never be used. Also nothing wrong with buying used lift coils. Shocks wear out so I can see where that is questionable.

Ok so what else would I need other than the four shocks and the two springs? Also how much do you think they should be worth, assuming there in good usable condition.

Unread 01-17-2013, 10:26 PM   #7
ZJMatt
1998 ZJ 

Quote:

Coil springs sag with use. Especially under the stress of wheeling, which if the vehicle was lifted, it was probably wheeled.

Any chance the springs are still on his jeep, so you could take measurements before buying them and make sure they're not sagging at all?
Unread 01-17-2013, 10:32 PM   #8
jtackerman28
1997 ZJ 

The stock springs I pulled off the jeep might have lost 1/2"-1" that was at 190000 miles. They really don't sag that much but that's why you really shouldn't pay much over 40$ for springs unless they Are rubicon express, bds or iro
Unread 01-18-2013, 09:08 AM   #9
RussMan

Ok I'm going to text him and try to get some more information. But my bug question is what other parts are required to put the 3.5 inch coils and shocks?

Unread 01-18-2013, 09:26 AM   #10
jtackerman28
1997 ZJ 

New front adjustable track bar new rear springs or move the front to the back if you want new rear shocks, a track bar bracket for the rear. Rubicon express makes a nice one, or an adjustable track bar if you have the money. That should be about it.

If he is going to charge 200 dollars for only 2 springs and shocks that is insane and it is cheaper to order new from kolak. Look to spend around 500-700 on a 3.5" lift
Unread 01-18-2013, 09:33 AM   #11
RussMan

Quote:
New front adjustable track bar new rear springs or move the front to the back if you want new rear shocks, a track bar bracket for the rear. Rubicon express makes a nice one, or an adjustable track bar if you have the money. That should be about it.

If he is going to charge 200 dollars for only 2 springs and shocks that is insane and it is cheaper to order new from kolak. Look to spend around 500-700 on a 3.5" lift
Ok thanks that's the info I was looking for, I just heard back from him and he doesn't even know what brand it is. I think I'm just going to save for the 3.5 inch iron rock lift.

Unread 01-18-2013, 09:36 AM   #12
jtackerman28
1997 ZJ 

Good idea. It's alot better to do it right the first time
Unread 01-18-2013, 09:55 AM   #13
SpenceAK
1995 ZJ 

That is exactly what I said you needed. Never said anything about a drop bracket for the rear? And what I ment was trackbar bracket sorry
Unread 01-18-2013, 10:00 AM   #14
jtackerman28
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpenceAK
Your gonna need a front adj. track bar and drop bracket to center your front axle and might as well get on for the rear so you can center your
Direct quote
Unread 01-18-2013, 11:02 AM   #15
SpenceAK
1995 ZJ 

I thought the front track bar bracket was called a drop bracket for some reason my bad! But I did not mean drop bracket for the rear just rear track bar sorry for the confusion

Tags
3.5" lift , grand cherokee zj , help needed , lift advice

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.