3.5" or 4.5" lift? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 3.5" or 4.5" lift?

December Specials at Jeephut.comROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kits

Unread 07-30-2003, 12:19 AM   #1
crazycuban226

3.5" or 4.5" lift?

i'm currently considering the r.e. 4.5" kit but its $1500 compared to the 3.5" kit which is only $770...can an inch be so important that there is that much difference in the price? i mean somebody
please correct me if i'm wrong but its only an inch!!!!
so in turn im now considering the 3.5" kit (which is said to be similar to the 4.5" kit w/ that one little exception... you guessed it
an inch!!!!!!ahhhhhh!!!! stop the madness!!!)w/ 2" spacers so you see i'll get 5.5" for less then the price of the 4.5" kit i mean im goin to be realistic im dont have a rock garden in my back yard or have to travel a mini-rubicon to get to work so i dont care about flex i want to fit 33" tires for daily drivin w/ occasional towing so i know the lift is suffeceint i just need to know bout them spacers!!!

Unread 07-30-2003, 07:14 AM   #2
Howler

Go to the RE web site and check the parts list. That will tell you why the price difference.

Here is what I found

RE8003
COIL SPRINGS ZJ 3" FRONT 1
COIL SPRINGS ZJ 3" REAR 1
BUMP STOPS 2" ZJ REAR 1
BUMP STOP 2" FRT XJ/ZJ/TJ 1
BRAKE LINES SS FT XJ/MJ/ZJ/C 1
CONTROL ARM SF2 LOWER FIXED 1
CONTROL ARM SF2 LOWER ADJ 1
SWAY BAR DISC SET W/ 4" CENT 1
SWAY BAR DISCONNECT ADAPTER BRACKET TJ-ZJ 96+ 1
SWAY BAR END LINKS REAR ZJ 1
TRACK BAR BRACKET ZJ REAR 1

The RE8000
T-CASE LOWERING KIT XJ/ZJ 1
TRACK BAR XJ/MJ/ZJ/TJ 3"+ 1
COIL SPRINGS ZJ 4.5" FRONT 1
COIL SPRINGS ZJ 4.5" REAR 1
BUMP STOPS 2" ZJ REAR 1
BUMP STOP 2" FRT XJ/ZJ/TJ 1
BRAKE LINES SS FT XJ/MJ/ZJ/C 1
CONTROL ARM SF2 LOWER FIXED 1
CONTROL ARM SF2 LOWER ADJ 1
CONTROL ARM SR2 UPPER FT FIX 1
CONTROL ARM SF2 UPPER RR ADJ 1
SWAY BAR DISC SET W/ 6" CENT 1
SWAY BAR DISCONNECT ADAPTER BRACKET XJ-ZJ 1
SWAY BAR DISCONNECT ADAPTER BRACKET TJ-ZJ 96+ 1
SWAY BAR END LINKS REAR ZJ 1
TRACK BAR BRACKET ZJ REAR 1

Howler
Unread 07-30-2003, 01:33 PM   #3
GottaBeJeep

The added expense is from the tracbar and the uppercontrol arms. RE's lifts are usually taller than advertised due to the spring rates being set to handle heavy duty after market bumpers, spare tires, tools, winches, etc. Once you get to the 4.5" point, upper control arms are very important for caster in the front and pinion angle in the rear. Sure you could go cheap and get the spacers, but your steering will suck, and you will probably have vibes. The adjustable trackbar for the front is also very important to realign your front axle, because it will shift as you raise the vehicle, and needs too much adjustment to safely drill a new hole for the trackbar axle mount.
If you don't have any of the heavy stuff, you will probably end up around 4-5" alone just with the 3.5" kit. You really might want to consider the 4.5" however, since it is more complete, and addresses a lot of those problem I mentioned, that you will probably end up with even with the 3.5" kit. It's just cheaper to do it right the first time.
Unread 07-30-2003, 02:25 PM   #4
Texas ZJ1
Jeep Jedi Master

1994 ZJ 

Crazy,

you have some valid points yet, the 4.5 kit is a much better kit.

You really do pay for what you get. Sure, you can get the 3.5 kit and get spacers. You won't have the 4.5 kit though.

What size tires are you desiring to run? I hope you aren't planning on running 33s on the 3.5 without some serious trimming of fenders, regearing, and new wheels.

Hunter

94 5.9 Laredo 6.5 RE lift with 35 Maxxis Bighorns
and 33 Bridgestone Duelers
Detroit and true trac
Red Jeep Club Member
REDNECK JCM
Texas Jeep Owner #6
USN Jeep Club #4
http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/

For your performance needs:

kolak@kolakperformance.com
Texas ZJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2003, 04:26 PM   #5
thunderchooch
1997 ZJ 

I have the 3.5" kit and wish I would have got the 4.5" kit. I also needed to buy a new front track bar $135.00 that didn't come with the 3.5" kit because my old one was worn out. I personally would just save up and spend the extra money and get the better kit!
Kevinz Radiator support and shackles, Tom Woods driveshafts, OME SD-40 steering stabilizer, Cobra CB and PA, Bilstein Shocks, 35" BFG MUD TA KM2's, FM50, Surco Roof Rack, IRO Heavy Duty Steering and more to come soon!!
thunderchooch is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-30-2003, 10:02 PM   #6
crazycuban226

thanx everybody

thank you for your info i'm planning on 33"goodyear mtr on custom rims still deciding if i should go to 16" rims but i am going to have an arb front & a t.r. rear w/ tire carrier so i'll proably will need the extra height to deal w/ the weight and as i learned from my wrangler days it is better to do it right the first time(also cheaper)so instead im gonna concentrate on the rest of the jeep for now then get the r.e. 4.5" kit hey guys what do you think of a 2" budget boost just for now to get around on some 31"at?
Unread 07-31-2003, 04:09 PM   #7
Texas ZJ1
Jeep Jedi Master

1994 ZJ 

The 2bb sounds great.

Hunter

Detroit and true trac
Red Jeep Club Member
REDNECK JCM
Texas Jeep Owner #6
USN Jeep Club #4

Unread 08-01-2003, 02:59 AM   #8
crazycuban226

nice!

tex i'm salavating over your zj everybody else i'm also considering the arb front and maybe the t.r. rear but the t.r. rear seems a bit much any suggestions for another t/c
Unread 08-01-2003, 07:07 AM   #9
Texas ZJ1
Jeep Jedi Master

1994 ZJ 

Hey,

check out www.kevinsjeepparts.com for his rearbumper and tire carrier. If the pictures don't load. Just email him and he'll send them to you.

Hunter

Detroit and true trac
Red Jeep Club Member
REDNECK JCM
Texas Jeep Owner #6
USN Jeep Club #4

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.