2WD performance on snow? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 2WD performance on snow?

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 05-02-2003, 10:33 PM   #1
RCK96

2WD performance on snow?

All,

New to the board, and lovin' it!

Have a question for anyone reading, our 96 ZJ is 2wd, w/o a locking differential. We're considering relocating to a climate with winter. How does this setup perform on ice and snow?

RCK96 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2003, 10:44 PM   #2
jlr69s
1985 CJ7 

2wd in the snow

Ive had my 2wd 96 in the snow in North Carolina. It did alright but there was only 2-3 inches on the road. Im about to move there and I would recomend to you what Im doing. Just go ahead and get a PowerTrax No-Slip rear differential, sends power to the wheel spinning the least (most traction)... unlike the open diff you have now which sends it all to the one spinning the fastest. Ive found them for only about $350 and they are pretty easy to install yourself.
Dana 30 & AMC 20 differentials, one piece axles
32x11.50 Bridgestone Dueller A/T
jlr69s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2003, 08:58 AM   #3
Stocker

I agree with jlr69s, it'll never be near as good as 4WD but give the limited-slip a try. If you need more traction, it's time for a different Jeep! Basically yourZJ is a station wagon, and they are a bit better than sedans in snow because they carry more of their weight over the drive wheels. When in snow, you may benefit by adding some extra weight in the back. Just don't overdo it or you'll upset the balance too much and get sloppier handling - something you don't want on snow and ice! Also you should have FOUR good winter tires - even with 2WD, the fronts need traction to steer and stop!

BTW - wecome to the forum!
Unread 05-03-2003, 04:33 PM   #4
RCK96

Re: 2wd in the snow

Quote:
Originally posted by jlr69s
Ive had my 2wd 96 in the snow in North Carolina. It did alright but there was only 2-3 inches on the road. Im about to move there and I would recomend to you what Im doing. Just go ahead and get a PowerTrax No-Slip rear differential, sends power to the wheel spinning the least (most traction)... unlike the open diff you have now which sends it all to the one spinning the fastest. Ive found them for only about $350 and they are pretty easy to install yourself.
Thanks for the advice. I was at the stealership yesterday, and they had quoted $1K for the parts alone! Where did you get the kit for $350, if you don't mind my asking?

Stocker: correct on the station wagon statement, and I wish I could get new, but with a 3-row redesign coming in 05' (or so is my understanding) and current funds available, its not prudent for us to buy now. And thank you for the howdy-do!

Follow up question: does the high torque of the 4.0L at idle make winter driving more difficult, or is it still pretty manageable?
Unread 05-03-2003, 04:48 PM   #5
Stocker

Re: Re: 2wd in the snow

Quote:
Originally posted by RCK96 Follow up question: does the high torque of the 4.0L at idle make winter driving more difficult, or is it still pretty manageable?
While I haven't driven the 4.0 in snow, my 5.2 does have a bit of torque - as does my 72 Chevy K20, and for that matter some of the 60s-era muscle cars I have owned. In my opinion - and experience - it isn't a problem. Just go light on throttle & clutch (and brakes and steering!) on snow. Practice pays off; try to find a large, empty parking lot or deserted road (with wide, flat shoulders!) and have some low-speed fun.
Unread 05-03-2003, 06:13 PM   #6
jmx

HOw about the stock Dana limited slip?

I live in So Cal so snow isn't a real issue, but I'm curious about the stock limited slip Dana rear end on a WJ? Would it help if I did go someplace with snow like Big Bear? How about off road?

I have a 2002 Limited with the H.O. 4.7 and the Dana limited slip (Posi?) rear end and have wondered about the Dana's advantages over the basic open rear end.

Opinions anyone?

jmx

Pursue excellence and the rest will follow.
jmx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2003, 09:18 AM   #7
Stocker

jmx...

Since nobody has answered you yet, I'll toss in my .02

In general... any functioning limited-slip rear diff is better IMO than an open diff, in snow or off-road. One problem you may hear of is increased side-slip in a sidehill situation. While this is true, the advantage of added traction far outweigh any disadvantages. Having had several vehicles with and without limited-slip rear diff, I would choose with, every time.
Unread 05-04-2003, 08:04 PM   #8
jlr69s
1985 CJ7 

powertrax

For the PowerTrax at $350 go to rocky-road.com. You can email them for a quote for your specific Jeep and they quoted me the $350. Hope this helps!! -Joey
Unread 05-04-2003, 08:06 PM   #9
jlr69s
1985 CJ7 

Im pretty sure you have the exact same Jeep I do and the part neumber I found from their web site was 92-0435-2706 --Joey
Unread 05-04-2003, 09:38 PM   #10
RCK96

Thanks a million! I'll let ya know how it turns out!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.