2wd to 4x4 swap - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 2wd to 4x4 swap

Jeep Liberty Window RegulatorJeep Grand Cherokee Mirror - Side ViewSmittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!

Unread 02-23-2011, 09:51 AM   #16
crosschecker
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickell80 View Post
That's the cool thing about the 42re, it actually has a removable tail which is the OD unit and that is the only difference between 2wd and 4wd for it. I was reading my FSM a little yesterday and that is the first thing it says in the trans removal and install section, that you do not need to remove the complete transmission just to work on the OD unit.

I would still much rather have the Aisin in my Jeep from the factory though.
What you are saying makes no sense. The OD is part of both the 2wd and 4wd tranny, the transfer case is not. You don't add an OD and a transfer case to get 4wd. I could believe that the tail cone is removable and the transfer case might just bolt up, but not that you add and overdrive unit. Adding OD would mean tearing the tranny apart.

Post up your info from the FSM that states the the tail cone is the OD unit, I'd love to see that.

'96 ZJ 5.2 Limited
crosschecker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2011, 04:10 PM   #17
Nickell80
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosschecker View Post
What you are saying makes no sense. The OD is part of both the 2wd and 4wd tranny, the transfer case is not. You don't add an OD and a transfer case to get 4wd. I could believe that the tail cone is removable and the transfer case might just bolt up, but not that you add and overdrive unit. Adding OD would mean tearing the tranny apart.

Post up your info from the FSM that states the the tail cone is the OD unit, I'd love to see that.

The OD unit is detachable, for 2wd the unit just has a longer tail and will just connect straight to the drive shaft.
The difference for 4wd is that the OD unit is exactly like it would be on say the AW4, the transfer case just connects directly to it, and you know the rest.
It make sense to me because I've actually seen it, just read some threads about 4wd swaps for the ZJ, it will show you everything.

And here is the best screenshot I could get of it from my FSM, sorry for the size.
untitled.jpg  
Unread 02-23-2011, 05:41 PM   #18
Pugulis
1996 ZJ 

All 4x4's have open dif as standard That's why you'll see everyone talking about installing lockers in the rear. On most every 4x4 your actually geting one drive wheel in the back and one in the front. A limited slip in the rear will help with this a bit. This is why it was standard on the towing package. Hardcore offroaders will instal lockers both front and rear. But this makes driving on the street a little harder on the tires, transfer case, and the dif itself. I'm not saying it can't be or isn't done, but you'll go through tires like crazy. That's also why, in a few years, your going to see more offroad vehicles come with electronic traction control. As it stands now, these systems aren't comparable to a good solid axle.
Pugulis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2011, 09:03 PM   #19
Nickell80
1997 XJ Cherokee 

I just found the link to where I first found out about the OD housing stuff for both the OP and Crosschecker to check out.

http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8621

Tags
2wd , 4x4 , swap

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.