2wd to 4x4 swap - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 2wd to 4x4 swap

Spartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREEG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChSave 15% in XT's Pre-Black Friday Event!

Unread 02-20-2011, 10:24 PM   #1
placoo12
1998 ZJ 

2wd to 4x4 swap

I have a 1998 GC laredo 4.0. I was wondering what all i need to collect to make this swap. My buddy tells me that i would need the front axle, transfer case and shifter for the interior. I know i would need to cut a hole for that shifter. What else would i need to make it a true, fully durable 4x4. Does the 4x4 transmission have any difference than 2wd. Any comments as to making this a great build would be highly appreciated. Thank you!

placoo12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-20-2011, 11:15 PM   #2
06UnlimtedDL
1987 MJ Comanche 

Save yourself the headache and just find a 4x4....just my

It'll be cheaper as far as buying all the parts you're gonna need to try to do the swap, and then you'll have more $ for upgrades
06UnlimtedDL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-20-2011, 11:29 PM   #3
Zj93
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 06UnlimtedDL View Post
Save yourself the headache and just find a 4x4....just my

It'll be cheaper as far as buying all the parts you're gonna need to try to do the swap, and then you'll have more $ for upgrades

^^^x2 save your self an buy a 4x4
Zj93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-21-2011, 12:00 AM   #4
jnicewan
1995 ZJ 

^^^ Either do what was mentioned above, or if your dead set on doing the conversion, it would probably be best to find a decent wrecked/rolled 4x4 for a cheap parts donor. Most everything will be a bolt on deal, but its going to be a lot of time/labor to do. A donor vehicle would be best so you will have all the nuts, bolts, linkages, brackets, console, shifter, driveshafts, axle, trans, and transfer case. Also keep in mind you will probably want a donor with the same engine as yours, and pay attention to the 4x4 type so you can get what transfer case you want (most likely going to want to find a 231 donor )

Trans is different, if you had a donor 4x4 with a good trans, then swap it in. A 2wd trans will not accept a transfer case, it would need to be completely dis-assembled and converted to a 4x4 trans.
jnicewan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-21-2011, 01:52 AM   #5
NapsterZJ
1995 ZJ 

Ive done the conversion and it didn't cost me all that much but that's because I went the donor route.

If you did the swap the cheap and easier way, you'd need:
-OD section from a 4x4 42re transmission
-231 or 242 transfer case
-shift and linkages
-front axle
-driveshafts

Overall, if you do the swap by going to a junkyard and picking them out, it will cost you a lot

If you buy a donor vehicle it would be a whole lot cheaper and you'd probably make a profit selling off and parting the donor

and the third option is obviously buying a 4x4 ZJ

good luck, my .02 cents

DD - Stock 99 WJ 4.7 QD with flo 40
NapsterZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-21-2011, 02:22 AM   #6
Pugulis
1996 ZJ 

I would say don't do it. It's allot of work and money for parts that may or may not be good. The last thing you want to do is put in the time and effort into the conversion, only to find out the tranny or transfer case or axle you got are shot. And if you got a donor vehicle good enough to test out everything, why not just keep the donor? There's really nothing about this that is worth while. The only way this would make sense is if you plan on making a serious off road vehicle and plan on using NEW and upgraded parts.
Pugulis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-21-2011, 06:33 AM   #7
crosschecker
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Don't be afraid to do the conversion, it's a little money and some time but it's all staight bolt up stuff. I haven't done the GC but I did a Cherokee and it was well worth the time and what little money I had invested. Anyone who tells you it's not worth it has never done one, yet they'll go out and spend money like it's nothing for lifts, tires, and all that other stuff.
'96 ZJ 5.2 Limited
crosschecker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-21-2011, 08:44 PM   #8
placoo12
1998 ZJ 

I do believe i will end up making the swap because as NapsterZJ says, i could sell all of the left over parts to make some of my money back and if not than a profit. I love toys and what i love even more is to be able to have fun with them knowing i built it. It gives you a sense of pride and an excuse to get your hands dirty.

Thank you everyone for your input. It is highly appreciated.
placoo12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-21-2011, 09:20 PM   #9
Nickell80
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NapsterZJ View Post
If you did the swap the cheap and easier way, you'd need:
-OD section from a 4x4 42re transmission
-231 or 242 transfer case
-shift and linkages
-front axle
-driveshafts
This is the way I am working on doing it since I don't have any room for a parts ZJ, and really the only parts I plan to use from a ZJ is the OD unit and interior shifter parts.
I'm gonna use the 231 (really don't need awd here) and a HP30 axle which I can get from an XJ and/or wrangler.

The worst part of it (for me at least) is finding an OD unit and not paying $600+ for a 200k full trans from the junkyard.
Unread 02-22-2011, 05:57 AM   #10
crosschecker
1995 XJ Cherokee 

I'm not familiar with the 42RE tranny, but I know that with the Cherokee, you don't just grab a "OD section" and bolt it on(it's actually the tail of the tranny for the t-case mount). Either you get a tranny with the unit attached or you take yours in to a shop and have the unit attached (far more expensive). Might just as well get the whole tranny and t-case as one.
'96 ZJ 5.2 Limited
crosschecker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-22-2011, 08:16 AM   #11
Nickell80
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by crosschecker View Post
I'm not familiar with the 42RE tranny, but I know that with the Cherokee, you don't just grab a "OD section" and bolt it on(it's actually the tail of the tranny for the t-case mount). Either you get a tranny with the unit attached or you take yours in to a shop and have the unit attached (far more expensive). Might just as well get the whole tranny and t-case as one.
That's the cool thing about the 42re, it actually has a removable tail which is the OD unit and that is the only difference between 2wd and 4wd for it. I was reading my FSM a little yesterday and that is the first thing it says in the trans removal and install section, that you do not need to remove the complete transmission just to work on the OD unit.

I would still much rather have the Aisin in my Jeep from the factory though.
Unread 02-22-2011, 01:30 PM   #12
MD83Z
1994 XJ Cherokee 

The rear end has to be different in a 4x4 than the open rear in a 2WD....Like limited slip or something....I would like to know how 4-low turns all the wheels together.
2004 WJ
MD83Z is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-22-2011, 02:27 PM   #13
Nickell80
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD83Z View Post
The rear end has to be different in a 4x4 than the open rear in a 2WD....Like limited slip or something....I would like to know how 4-low turns all the wheels together.
?
Why can a 4x4 not have an open diff?
The transfer case locks together when in 4 low but it doesn't do anything with the differentials.

Maybe someone who knows more than me can chime in and explain because I'm confused now.
Unread 02-22-2011, 04:47 PM   #14
Katesdad

open diff is standard in GC 4x4 so no thats not an issue
Katesdad is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2011, 08:58 AM   #15
MD83Z
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks ...that answers my question...That means that I guess the front end is open also,which means 4 wheel drive is really one front and one rear wheel drive!
2004 WJ
MD83Z is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
2wd , 4x4 , swap

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.