2WD to 4WD conversion. Need advice! - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 2WD to 4WD conversion. Need advice!

Artec 14b bolt BACKBONE trussNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Engo is bringing New LED Light Bars to the table...Get a g

Unread 03-21-2012, 09:36 AM   #16
Foundrydude
1995 ZJ 

Doh! I just noticed V6 in the profile.

OP, sell it and buy another. This project is only something you should tackle for the sake of a learning experience, and will probably require you to have alternate transportation for 30 days. Some folks on this forum could do it in a busy weekend, but if you don't know inline versus V engine configuration by sight it's gonna take you a month.

good luck

Foundrydude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-24-2012, 12:08 AM   #17
t_long927
1993 ZJ 

t_long927 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2012, 07:13 PM   #18
cdyt7717
1996 ZJ 

I know this is sorta old, but just wondering cause I considered doing this, has anyone that's done it ever had any problems with the vic or the computer??
cdyt7717 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-16-2012, 05:29 AM   #19
Texas ZJ1
Jeep Jedi Master

1994 ZJ 

Yes to both questions.

94 5.9 Laredo 6.5 RE lift with 35 Maxxis Bighorns
and 33 Bridgestone Duelers
Detroit and true trac
Red Jeep Club Member
REDNECK JCM
Texas Jeep Owner #6
USN Jeep Club #4
http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/

For your performance needs:

kolak@kolakperformance.com
Texas ZJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2012, 11:28 PM   #20
cdyt7717
1996 ZJ 

Did it throw a bunch of cel codes or something? I'm guessing?
cdyt7717 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-20-2012, 02:32 PM   #21
moose27

1996 ZJ 

I just got a 95 limited zj and I'm looking to do the same thing, I actually have a 96 laredo that was totaled out cause of a side swip and was thinking about taking the parts from it and turning my 95 into a 4x4
moose27 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-20-2012, 02:43 PM   #22
JohnnyZJ
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

whats your time worth?

doing this swap, assuming you have the tools, knowledge, and a full parts jeep in good running order to grab parts off of will run over 1000$. sell current jeep, add 1000$ you were going to spend and get a 4wd.

this is NOT an easy task that you an do on a daily driver type of vehicle. just sourcing parts will be a pain. can some of us do it in a weekend? maybe. will it likely sit in your garage half completed for months at a time? yes.

you will need a 4wd transmission, tcase, front axle and who knows what kind of driveshafts to connect it all up. (lengths could be different) you will also need the computer/TCM stuff as well.

this undertaking is the definition of 'not worth it'
13' GMC Sierra ~ 2.5" lift 33" MTs.
RIP 95 ZJ ~ 33s built/longarmed/locked/awesome Feb 2014 ZJOTM winner
JohnnyZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-20-2012, 03:23 PM   #23
MrObvious
1996 ZJ 

To your original questions this is what will be needed..
First off will be the computer and the transmission control module. With the pig tails attached. Then you will need a 42RE (assuming your engine) and of course make sure its the 4WD transmission.
Then you will need an complete 4WD front axle (matching gear rations for front and rear)
You will need the transfer case (231/242/249). Also will need the correct input and out put shafts.
Then you will need new/used front and rear drive shafts for the correct lengths
Also you will need the shift linkage for the transfer case (matching one), then cut out the floor of the jeep where that small coin thing is, bolt it into place..

Of course if everything goes as planned its quite an under taking, and it will require quite a bit of knowledge. If you have further questions just ask. But you will need an amazing junkyard with plenty of donor jeeps (of same years/engine) and finding the correct computers/wires/plugs that will all be correctly working.

and an realistic number to be looking at IF EVERYTHING GOES AS PLANNED on the low end will be 800-1000 and the high end 1500-2000
Got it stuck. It's still stuck. It's so stuck I could call insurance and say it was stolen and no one would ever know. It's so stuck I don't know anyone with a capable enough 4x4 to even to to where I got stuck to winch or yank me out.
MrObvious is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
2wd to 4wd conversion , zj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.