2WD to 4WD conversion. Need advice! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 2WD to 4WD conversion. Need advice!

Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 03-20-2012, 08:56 PM   #1
spencerzj1116
1994 ZJ 

2WD to 4WD conversion. Need advice!

Okay everyone, I wanna turn my 2WD 94 ZJ into a 4WD. What do I need to do to it to make it 4WD? Is it possible? And what's an estimate on how much it would cost?

Someone help me out here please.

spencerzj1116 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-20-2012, 09:15 PM   #2
KingtheZJ
1998 ZJ 

you need a front axle that matches the gear ratio of your rear axle. a transfer case and front and rear driveshafts
Unread 03-20-2012, 09:16 PM   #3
fljeepney
1998 ZJ 

It would be cheaper and less painful to just buy one that is already 4wd.That's my opinion,but there is alot more experienced guys on here than I am,but I'm guessing the parts would equal out in price for a 4wd model already.Bought mine for 400,runs and is my daily driver.
fljeepney is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-20-2012, 09:33 PM   #4
gearheadnick
1997 ZJ 

If you really wanted to tackle a project like this, your best bet is to hit a junkyard and harvest some jeeps.

It would be a lot easier to buy a 4wd jeep, but since you already have it, if you're willing to put in the time and effort, go for it.
gearheadnick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-20-2012, 09:48 PM   #5
spencerzj1116
1994 ZJ 

Is it really a pain in the a** like everyone says?
Unread 03-20-2012, 10:00 PM   #6
Foundrydude
1995 ZJ 

Changing the transmission is probably 50% of the labor.

Actually it's one of the easiest vehicles out there to convert to 4wd.

The catch is you need enough parts that it's going to require some kind of package deal to make it cost effective because 4wd ZJs are so cheap to buy as running vehicles.

Transmission, transfer case, 4wd console and shifter, 2 driveshafts, front axle.
Foundrydude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-20-2012, 10:05 PM   #7
spencerzj1116
1994 ZJ 

So I should go for it?
Unread 03-20-2012, 10:12 PM   #8
Foundrydude
1995 ZJ 

I dunno, are you competent to change a transmission and front axle?

Is your jeep particularly nice or does it have a bunch of other stuff that's gonna need fixed too?

Do you have a cost effective source for a good used transmission and front axle, since those are items that commonly fail on high mile junkyard ZJs?

Personally if you haven't done a bunch of work to make the jeep nicer than the average used jeep, and if you're not wrenching every weekend anyway.....sell it, add $500, buy a 4wd.
Foundrydude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-20-2012, 10:14 PM   #9
Oldfrog
Web Wheeler
1997 ZJ 

Sure if you have an extra $3500 to blow...because that's what I'm guessing it will take.
You can go trade your current vehicle in, add $2000 cash, and probably get a nice 4WD model.

Words of wisdom, Posted by Zeejay:
"..it's not air, it is the opposite of air... suckage so to speak."

Stalling? Work through Zeejay's list
Oldfrog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-20-2012, 10:17 PM   #10
TheHalfWit
1995 ZJ 

Hit up craigslist and check prices in your area first, around here I could get a running 4wd zj for $800+, and the parts would probably cost a a grand more then that. If you aren't doing the labor it isn't worth it, and even if you do the labor its still probably cheaper to buy a 4wd zj.

If a week goes by without needing to replace something, pinch me because I must be dreaming.
TheHalfWit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2012, 12:01 AM   #11
JColee
1997 ZJ 

I think it could be quite the learning experience, if it isn't your daily driver. I've never done it, but might do it with my brothers 1990 Jeep Cherokee. The only reasons I think that I would do it with your current ZJ is because it might have a great body with no rust, and a strong engine that isn't causing any problems. No electrical issues, basically it runs A-1, but stinks that it isn't 4wd.

Personally, what I think would be most cost efficient way to convert it would be to purchase a Jeep Grand Cherokee with a blown engine and a horrible body for next to nothing. I say horrible body, because it'd probably be easier to put your engine in a 4wd with a blown engine than to work the other way around.
JColee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2012, 12:43 AM   #12
t_long927
1993 ZJ 

even though all of these guys have mentioned the amount of parts you would need you would also have to take in consideration how the upper and lower control arms are mounted on a 4x4.. Does the 2x4 versions have the same mounts on the uni body as the 4x4 models? if not you would have to fab a sub frame right??
t_long927 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2012, 01:55 AM   #13
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

The 2wd front beam axle is exactly the same as the real deal, without the differential. all suspension components are the same.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2012, 03:33 AM   #14
blackzj
1998 ZJ 

ok its not that hard at all everything is bolt up all you have to cut is your t case shifter in your center counsel, first off you need to think what you want to do with it if its just to have 4x4 and a weekend if any off road d30 with same gear ratio as you, 42re 4x4 transmission, np231 or 242 t case, t case shifter and linkedge, and drive shafts but if you want a strong built 4x4 do it right and get dana 44's, gears, lockers, 42re 4x4 transmission, ford t case, and d shafts, and since your wanting to convert it you can go and put a lift on since everything is off anyway
blackzj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-21-2012, 09:05 AM   #15
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackzj View Post
ok its not that hard at all everything is bolt up all you have to cut is your t case shifter in your center counsel, first off you need to think what you want to do with it if its just to have 4x4 and a weekend if any off road d30 with same gear ratio as you, 42re 4x4 transmission, np231 or 242 t case, t case shifter and linkedge, and drive shafts but if you want a strong built 4x4 do it right and get dana 44's, gears, lockers, 42re 4x4 transmission, ford t case, and d shafts, and since your wanting to convert it you can go and put a lift on since everything is off anyway
that is one very odd list for a "built" 4x4.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
2wd to 4wd conversion , zj

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.