2nd offroad trip - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 2nd offroad trip

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 06-25-2013, 01:16 PM   #1
huntsducks70
1998 ZJ 

2nd offroad trip

well, saturday morning i grabbed my 3 kids, loaded them into the ZJ and headed out to azusa canyon. my buddy took his bone stock '13 wrangler (this thing actually wheels pretty good). i was able to take alot of the smaller trails i could not do in my truck, it was a good time for sure. i climbed a few sand and dirt hills, then hit the mud, my favorite (because i love the sound of a revving V8). i was more than impressed with the capability of my stock ZJ (minus the 231 swap). speaking of the 231, i am so glad i did this, it is such a pleasure to be in control of 2wd or 4wd. here are a few pics, no action shots, my son wanted to be in the ZJ as we wheeled it, can't say i blame him.

huntsducks70 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2013, 10:07 PM   #2
just_urd
1998 ZJ 

I haven't been there in years. Friend of mine had a 97 ZJ, and decided to drive it through the river bed entrance with the water up to the doors, hydro locked that engine real good and flooded the inside up to the seats...
just_urd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2013, 10:33 PM   #3
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

looks like a cool wheelin spot
Unread 06-26-2013, 12:34 AM   #4
Oldfrog
Web Wheeler
1997 ZJ 

Glad you had fun with your ZJ ! That looks like a great place to play, too.

When you REALLY want to get into some mud, take a down here to Louisiana and we'll introduce you to authentic gumbeaux mud. Rumor has it.... that there are Broncos, Scouts, Land Rovers, Forerunners, Chevy and Ford trucks down under that stuff that never made it out.

Have fun with your ZJ, they are amazing !

Words of wisdom, Posted by Zeejay:
"..it's not air, it is the opposite of air... suckage so to speak."

Stalling? Work through Zeejay's list
Oldfrog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2013, 09:48 AM   #5
huntsducks70
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by just_urd View Post
I haven't been there in years. Friend of mine had a 97 ZJ, and decided to drive it through the river bed entrance with the water up to the doors, hydro locked that engine real good and flooded the inside up to the seats...
yeah, i hate water crossings, never know what what you could fall into.

there is a lot more regulation now, they shut it down if the river is flowing rapidly or the level is too high. still a fun place to try various terrain.
Unread 06-26-2013, 09:57 AM   #6
huntsducks70
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfrog View Post
Glad you had fun with your ZJ ! That looks like a great place to play, too.

When you REALLY want to get into some mud, take a down here to Louisiana and we'll introduce you to authentic gumbeaux mud. Rumor has it.... that there are Broncos, Scouts, Land Rovers, Forerunners, Chevy and Ford trucks down under that stuff that never made it out.

Have fun with your ZJ, they are amazing !
i'm in, you got to some duck hunting over there as well

we have some decent mud over here as well, this is my now dedicated hunting/fishing rig.

Unread 06-26-2013, 09:58 AM   #7
huntsducks70
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnuccio View Post
looks like a cool wheelin spot
it is, a lot of hill climbs with off camber stuff, mud, sand and a little rock here and there, good stuff!
Unread 06-26-2013, 02:02 PM   #8
Oldfrog
Web Wheeler
1997 ZJ 

Nah...we ain't got no duck huntin' in Louisiana. So, save your fuel and dont make the drive, 'cuz 'dere ain't no ducks down heah, Cher...I guarrrronteeee.
Nope, no ducks in Louisiana.... (At least dat's what Phil Robertson told me to say...... )

Seriously, I was fortunate enough to have been taught how to "properly" call ducks by the man himself, many years ago. Phil isnt an actor. What you see on TV is what you get. He walks the walk and was a heckuva QB at LA Tech, too. Better than TB, some say. Never met the boys...only Phil.

I also know Rod Haydel from having chaired our local "Friends of NRA event" for 2 years. Dont tell anyone , but I prefer Phil's duck calls over Rod and Eli's calls.
Good guys, all of them, though. Rod is a heckuva Turkey hunter too.

Duck hunting is what made my ZJ headliner come down early. Wet decoy bags in the cargo area. Duh.

But we aint gotz no ducks down here..so stay home !

Unread 06-26-2013, 02:10 PM   #9
nickhay13
1998 ZJ 

I've been wanting to head out there and check it out. I think I might make that happen in the coming weeks, it's only a little over an hour away for me.
Unread 06-26-2013, 02:41 PM   #10
huntsducks70
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickhay13 View Post
I've been wanting to head out there and check it out. I think I might make that happen in the coming weeks, it's only a little over an hour away for me.
PM me, we could set something up if you are interested.
Unread 06-26-2013, 03:36 PM   #11
huntsducks70
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Nah...we ain't got no duck huntin' in Louisiana. So, save your fuel and dont make the drive, 'cuz 'dere ain't no ducks down heah, Cher...I guarrrronteeee.
Nope, no ducks in Louisiana.... (At least dat's what Phil Robertson told me to say...... )

Seriously, I was fortunate enough to have been taught how to "properly" call ducks by the man himself, many years ago. Phil isnt an actor. What you see on TV is what you get. He walks the walk and was a heckuva QB at LA Tech, too. Better than TB, some say. Never met the boys...only Phil.

I also know Rod Haydel from having chaired our local "Friends of NRA event" for 2 years. Dont tell anyone , but I prefer Phil's duck calls over Rod and Eli's calls.
Good guys, all of them, though. Rod is a heckuva Turkey hunter too.

Duck hunting is what made my ZJ headliner come down early. Wet decoy bags in the cargo area. Duh.

But we aint gotz no ducks down here..so stay home !
LOL! hint taken, i will stay away

yeah, i met phil as well, it was about 11 or 12 years ago (i loved him before he became the trend) he came down to a Turners Outdoors over here in cali. i had him sign two shirts, one for me and one from my unborn son. still have the shirts but the sigs have since washed away. i will never forget what he said to the group of about 7 hunters, "i have been here for two hours, and the best advice i could give you guys is to grab your gun, grab your dog, and get the hell out of california". cool dude to say the least.

we blow a few of Phil's calls as well, i'm no expert but have had my share of ducks light the deekes, i love that ****!
Unread 06-26-2013, 10:15 PM   #12
Oldfrog
Web Wheeler
1997 ZJ 

"Call only at their butts...'cuz if they are coming towards your decoys anyway....there's no sense in spooking them.."

You are welcome in Louisiana anytime, my friend.
( just leave your anti-gunning neighbors there in Cali, ok ? It aint safe for them here.)

Unread 06-27-2013, 10:23 AM   #13
huntsducks70
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
"Call only at their butts...'cuz if they are coming towards your decoys anyway....there's no sense in spooking them.."

You are welcome in Louisiana anytime, my friend.
( just leave your anti-gunning neighbors there in Cali, ok ? It aint safe for them here.)
right on! thanks Oldfrog.

and regarding the anti-gunners, i stay as far away from them as possible, those people are off.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.