2nd Gen 4.7 in WJ? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 2nd Gen 4.7 in WJ?

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 09-21-2009, 11:37 AM   #16
schmie
2000 WJ 

alright, thats some useful info. thanks. what would have to be done to the stock pcm to hook in those knock sensors? can i have it reflashed? or look for an ho pcm?

schmie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2009, 12:21 PM   #17
rm2001wj
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

You can't have you 2000 PCM reflashed because it doesn't even have a place to connect knock sensors. An HO PCM might be possible but then you would need a complete wiring harness from the same HO which would replace your 2000 harness. Finally, there are some subtle differences between a 2002 or later HO PCM/harness and 2000 devices like TCM and BCM.

I personally know of one person, an electrical engineer, who did this, but he never did get things to work in a way that let the CEL turn off.

IMO, trying to get the HO correctly installed would not be worth the time and effort.
rm2001wj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2009, 12:22 PM   #18
xJoshxx
Web Wheeler

2012 WK 

buy a 4.7 and put a 4.7HO internals?
The SRt-8's are a liberty design.
2011 WK2 ORA2
2012 WK2 SRT8
xJoshxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2009, 11:28 PM   #19
ronsaun
2003 WJ 

you are buying trouble with this idea! put in a ccompletely compatible motor unless you have weeks to screw around and a bottomless wallet.
ronsaun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2009, 11:41 PM   #20
iluvtruenos
2000 WJ 

Actually, simply buying the HO camshafts and intake nets a 30hp gain.

The Dakota guys do it all the time.

Rampant Pack of Retards group president.
2000 WJ, 4.5l, AX15, 242 D60/14b, 5.5" lift front, 7.5" rear. Ford Expedition rear coils, Ram 350 shocks, JKS, IRO Long Arms, cool Badlands flag thingy.
1987 XJ - Gone but not forgotten
iluvtruenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2009, 07:13 AM   #21
CanadianZed-J
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronsaun View Post
you are buying trouble with this idea! put in a ccompletely compatible motor unless you have weeks to screw around and a bottomless wallet.

The impression I got from rm2001wj is that it's really no problem as long as you forget about the knock sensors and only run premium.

Did I understand correctly? With the high mileage on my 4.7 (195K miles) I'd like to work out my game plan in advance should it eventually go south. An HO would be cool, (even having to run premium all the time), but I sure wouldn't want to run into a mess of electrical crap and a permanent CEL.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvtruenos View Post
Actually, simply buying the HO camshafts and intake nets a 30hp gain.

The Dakota guys do it all the time.

I can't get onto WJJeeps.com right now, but there are other enhancements done to beef up the HOs to provide reliability with the added power. And in this case, the OP blew his engine (but I know what you're saying).

CZJ.

-'99 WJ Limited, 4.7, Patriot Blue, 2" BB, 31" Mall-Terrains, Pavement Princess
-'97 TJ, Stone White, 4" Superlift, 33" SSRs, lunchboxed rear, 12K Titan winch, and 2.5 litres of exhillirating performance.
CanadianZed-J is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2009, 07:19 AM   #22
the88thpianoman
2003 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianZed-J View Post
The impression I got from rm2001wj is that it's really no problem as long as you forget about the knock sensors and only run premium.

Did I understand correctly? With the high mileage on my 4.7 (195K miles) I'd like to work out my game plan in advance should it eventually go south. An HO would be cool, (even having to run premium all the time), but I sure wouldn't want to run into a mess of electrical crap and a permanent CEL.

I can't get onto WJJeeps.com right now, but there are other enhancements done to beef up the HOs to provide reliability with the added power. And in this case, the OP blew his engine (but I know what you're saying).

CZJ.
Why not just get an HO upgrade kit? Includes all of the internals to upgrade the standard 4.7 to the HO, and then if yours kicks the bucket, just rebuild it instead of dropping a ton of money on another engine altogether.
2003 WJ in Jeep Green Metallic, 4.0/242/4.10's. 4" Teraflex springs w/ RE monotube shocks and IRO short arms, cheap intake w/ amsoil filter, 2.5" hi flow cat and back exhaust, lots of lights and other misc crap.

Check out my build thread here: Life lessons and budget build
the88thpianoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2009, 07:31 AM   #23
CanadianZed-J
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by the88thpianoman View Post
Why not just get an HO upgrade kit? Includes all of the internals to upgrade the standard 4.7 to the HO, and then if yours kicks the bucket, just rebuild it instead of dropping a ton of money on another engine altogether.

From what I've researched on this site, guys are paying in the neighbourhood of $5000 US to have their 4.7s rebuilt (no, I wouldn't trust myself to rebuild it myself and wouldn't have the time anyway). I'm not sure what a wrecking yard 4.7 costs but I am sure it's far less than that. Also, my uncle owns a body shop/used car dealership so could pick me up a wrecked-in-the-rear WJ at auction for dirt cheap. I swap the engine (I'll do this myself), swap any other things I'd like, then part it out and recoup some of the costs.

This brings me to another point. I'll bet a used car dealership can get you a wrecked WJ with a good motor too. No idea if they'll do this for anyone off the street, but I can't see why not. You can go tell them what kind of car you're looking for and they can buy one at auction for you. It's no different from how they get the rest of their cars on their lots.

CZJ.

-'99 WJ Limited, 4.7, Patriot Blue, 2" BB, 31" Mall-Terrains, Pavement Princess
-'97 TJ, Stone White, 4" Superlift, 33" SSRs, lunchboxed rear, 12K Titan winch, and 2.5 litres of exhillirating performance.
CanadianZed-J is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2009, 10:51 AM   #24
rm2001wj
Web Wheeler

2001 WJ 

Quote:

CZJ.
About the only thing that might keep this swap from working would be differences between the crankshaft tone ring (for CKP sensor) and camshaft tone ring (for CMP sensor) for the regular 4.7 and the 4.7 HO. I believe that there are differences for some model years, and you would need to confirm that the tones rings are the same for your 4.7 and the proposed 4.7 HO.

If necessarily, the HO camshaft tone ring could probably be changed relatively easily, but I not so sure about the crankshaft tone ring.
rm2001wj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2009, 03:06 PM   #25
dougy147
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
From what I've researched on this site, guys are paying in the neighbourhood of $5000 US to have their 4.7s rebuilt (no, I wouldn't trust myself to rebuild it myself and wouldn't have the time anyway). I'm not sure what a wrecking yard 4.7 costs but I am sure it's far less than that.
It will be less, but it might cost all of half of that to get a decent one with 60k miles or so. I thought about getting a JY engine when one of my 4.7 heads cracked. I was looking at almost 2k if I remember correctly for one with 90k miles. I decided to suck it up and spend the 1,000 on heads and misc. parts and a few weekends beating on my jeep.
08 WK Laredo 4.7 (traded for tin can)
The Present
07 JK Unlimited Sahara
dougy147 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2009, 11:26 PM   #26
AgitatedPancake
2001 WJ 

What about the idea of just dropping the new heads on an old 4.7 block?
Build Thread: http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum//showthread.php?t=7387
AgitatedPancake's Youtube Channel
AgitatedPancake is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.