2nd to 3rd shift problem 97 ZG. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 2nd to 3rd shift problem 97 ZG.

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitThe Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Building a Bumper?

Unread 07-26-2014, 02:54 AM   #1
nutwood

2nd to 3rd shift problem 97 ZG.

Not sure if my searching skills are letting me down but I can't seem to find a discussion covering my problem. Lot's of shift problems but none that sound the same.
The problem is shifting 2nd to 3rd. Used to be only the first shift of the day. I had the spot on the road lined up, slight downhill, plant it, 3500 + rpm, back off, up-shift and all was well from then on.
Now it's happening when warm. It tries to shift up and ends up in neutral. I have to manually hold it back to 2nd until I've got enough road to get the revs up, back off and give it time to up-shift.
I've been told there's a piston seal that goes hard in these transmissions and that I need to pull the transmission and replace this seal. Researching this seems to indicate that this seal would affect 1st to 2nd shift as well. All my shifts are correct, except for 2nd to 3rd. That's the rub; all the threads I find have other issues. Mine is very specific, one up shift not working properly, everything else fine.
Any suggestions much appreciated.

nutwood is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2014, 04:15 AM   #2
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutwood View Post
Not sure if my searching skills are letting me down but I can't seem to find a discussion covering my problem. Lot's of shift problems but none that sound the same.
The problem is shifting 2nd to 3rd. Used to be only the first shift of the day. I had the spot on the road lined up, slight downhill, plant it, 3500 + rpm, back off, up-shift and all was well from then on.
Now it's happening when warm. It tries to shift up and ends up in neutral. I have to manually hold it back to 2nd until I've got enough road to get the revs up, back off and give it time to up-shift.
I've been told there's a piston seal that goes hard in these transmissions and that I need to pull the transmission and replace this seal. Researching this seems to indicate that this seal would affect 1st to 2nd shift as well. All my shifts are correct, except for 2nd to 3rd. That's the rub; all the threads I find have other issues. Mine is very specific, one up shift not working properly, everything else fine.
Any suggestions much appreciated.
Possible transmission governor solenoid/ sensor at fault.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2014, 05:39 AM   #3
nutwood

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
Possible transmission governor solenoid/ sensor at fault.
Ah-ha, I've seen any amount of information on changing the governor. Would that affect just the 2nd to 3rd shift?
Unread 07-26-2014, 07:52 AM   #4
AmishFury
1997 ZJ 

on mine the affected shifts seemed random... most of the time it was 1-2 that had problems but sometimes 2-3 would as well

and then the always fun 1-2-oops i meant 1-2-3
AmishFury is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-26-2014, 07:55 AM   #5
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutwood View Post

Ah-ha, I've seen any amount of information on changing the governor. Would that affect just the 2nd to 3rd shift?
If I recall, mine was affected with an erratic 2-3 shift when those went bad. It was only under load though for me. I would floor it and right before it went to third it dropped to neutral and felt like it was slipping.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Yesterday, 01:38 AM   #6
nutwood

Hmmm, my shift problem is very specific. I've had the vehicle for a bit over 40,000km's and it's gradually got worse but the symptoms haven't changed; difficulty up-shifting from 2nd to 3rd and worse when cold. Every other shift fine.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.