249 Viscous Coupler Replacement Question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 249 Viscous Coupler Replacement Question

The Cure for your Tie Rod Roll!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Boss is away but Erin is here to STAY with a F.Y.S. Sa

Unread 01-15-2012, 03:44 PM   #1
zyal8r
1998 ZJ 

249 Viscous Coupler Replacement Question

I've spent a lot of time reading threads on how to replace the viscous coupler, carefully studied this page: http://www.masoncomputing.com/np249/ and several posts here on the forum. Ran in to what I think is a snag. It appears to me that the snap ring inside the access panel has a tab broken off. Pretty sure this will necessitate taking the case completely out, but I wondered if you guys might take a look and confirm what I'm thinking - this is as good of a picture as we could take with the case still in the Jeep. I've circled the one tab we can see. We were able to move it back and forth, which I suspect we would not be able to do if there were had been two tabs visible.

BTW Jeep is a 5.9 with ~170k miles.

Thanks for any input.

Mike

zyal8r is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2012, 04:09 PM   #2
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Location: Helsinki, Finland - on the European side of the Atlantic
The two tabs should be almost side-by-side, with just a little gap between them. If you were able to rotate the snap ring and only saw one tab, then the other is most likely broken.

Can't remember if you must disassemble the tranfer case if that happened, or if you can even do it easily. For some reason I got a blurry picture in my head that the snap ring needs to come off before you can even pull the tailhousing or the rear half out.. I could be wrong though.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/d...s-etc-1222317/

1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***
Timo_90xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2012, 04:20 PM   #3
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

You are not going to get the tail housing off without that snap ring off. I only see one end of the snap ring in that pic. The snap ring on the tail shaft looks like this. There should be a pointer fingers width between the two ends of the ring while it's on the shaft.
snapring.jpg  
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2012, 04:28 PM   #4
Candymancan
1998 ZJ 

Have you tried spinning the tab to the right ? Because you can actually spin that thing in both directions. I bet thats what happend
Candymancan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2012, 04:31 PM   #5
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

It's possible that that is the bottom tab and the other one is in the darkness.
Unread 01-15-2012, 06:39 PM   #6
KJK
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
You are not going to get the tail housing off without that snap ring off. I only see one end of the snap ring in that pic. The snap ring on the tail shaft looks like this. There should be a pointer fingers width between the two ends of the ring while it's on the shaft.
That is not what the factory snap ring looks like. It has 2 tabs that you use a flat nosed snap ring spreader on.
Unread 01-15-2012, 06:50 PM   #7
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJK View Post
That is not what the factory snap ring looks like. It has 2 tabs that you use a flat nosed snap ring spreader on.
I would say that it's similar looking, in the ball park as opposed to the snap ring that holds the oil pump on. I couldn't find a pic of it earlier. But here it is.
1013111144.jpg  
Unread 01-15-2012, 07:05 PM   #8
MN59ZJ
1998 ZJ 

Either way, the case needs to come apart, because a piece of metal is flying around the inside of your t-case. It's bound to cause major damage if left in there.
MN59ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2012, 09:15 PM   #9
zyal8r
1998 ZJ 

Thanks for all the replies! Got a better picture - 2nd tab definitely looks broken to me. Question is, where the heck is it, and how have I gone 170k miles without something blowing up... And even better I guess I need to find a new one. Not having much luck searching the 'net thus far.

Thanks,
Mike
Unread 01-15-2012, 10:18 PM   #10
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

That sucks. You can kind of see it in the first pic but wasn't sure. Post how you got it out. I am interested.
Unread 01-15-2012, 11:29 PM   #11
MN59ZJ
1998 ZJ 

If you're lucky, it sank to the low point of the case near the drain hole. There is a magnet there that could have captured it. I had a 231 suck a broken lock ring through all the main gears, ending up at the input planetaries. Made horrible grinding noises. The problem is, there's no way to know without cracking it open & looking.
MN59ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2012, 11:33 PM   #12
tower93zj
1993 ZJ 

just swap in a np231 and be done with it
tower93zj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2012, 11:59 PM   #13
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

True you have many options now. In all honesty I like the 249 but if I had to drop the case I would be swapping it for sure.
Unread 01-16-2012, 07:37 AM   #14
zyal8r
1998 ZJ 

Well, I do like the 249, and though I have enjoyed 2WD mode without the front driveshaft, I always liked the stability of the full-time 4WD when the VC was working. I already have the VC, too. I have not yet found a source for a new retaining ring, anyone have any suggestions? I think if we can take it out it shouldn't be too bad. Worse case I suppose if we can't find a new ring, this one works if we can get it off and then back on.

Mike
Unread 01-16-2012, 08:10 AM   #15
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Wost comes to worst you could always try a junk yard. I found a 249 opened up the other day.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.