249 VC going out. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 249 VC going out.

Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 11-25-2013, 12:05 AM   #1
ZJazzled
1998 ZJ 

249 VC going out.

So I know the VC is going bad, getting tighter steering, tires hop if I turn the wheel all the way.

I'm planning to do a 242 swap but I'm just not available to do it for the time being. What I want to know is is this safe to drive this way? Particularly at highway speeds? How long before I absolutely need to either fix the VC or swap in a 242.

ZJazzled is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-25-2013, 12:12 AM   #2
Blk92XJGuy
1992 XJ Cherokee 

There may be some info here, I recently ran into this issue.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/r...wheel-1802593/

Mine comes and goes, so it could be on its way out. I'm personally planning on just buying a new VC. I'd more than likely be opening up the 242 anyway to replace stuff, but I prefer the awd.

Best of luck
Unread 11-25-2013, 01:40 AM   #3
JasonStebbins
1997 ZJ 

It's safe to drive with a bad VC, don't worry. You have a 1998 so you could always pull the front drive shaft for the time being so it doesn't put unnecessary stress on front end components.
JasonStebbins is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-25-2013, 02:45 AM   #4
NewtoZJ
1998 ZJ 

I just bought a new VC from here. If you do though, make sure they put it in a box marked "this side up" because my seals and gasket got smashed all to hell from the VC's weight. I had to send them back, and I am still waiting for them after almost a week. When they originally shipped it, it came pretty fast. I obviously can't speak for the quality yet, but I believe there are a couple people on this forum running the same VC from the same people.
NewtoZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-25-2013, 05:54 AM   #5
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

Since 08 in both mine . One as 60k and works great . Acerl has treated me good . I'd blame the shipper
newfieZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-25-2013, 11:35 AM   #6
ZJazzled
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonStebbins View Post
It's safe to drive with a bad VC, don't worry. You have a 1998 so you could always pull the front drive shaft for the time being so it doesn't put unnecessary stress on front end components.
I live in Northern Minnesota so having 4wd is kinda why I bought the Jeep for this time of year. Good to know my front diff won't explode or anything going down to highway.
Unread 11-25-2013, 11:38 AM   #7
ZJazzled
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewtoZJ View Post
I just bought a new VC from here. If you do though, make sure they put it in a box marked "this side up" because my seals and gasket got smashed all to hell from the VC's weight. I had to send them back, and I am still waiting for them after almost a week. When they originally shipped it, it came pretty fast. I obviously can't speak for the quality yet, but I believe there are a couple people on this forum running the same VC from the same people.

Yeah I've seen Acerl posted before for the VC. My plan was to just swap in a 242 but the more I think about it I might just keep the 249 in place.
Unread 11-25-2013, 12:15 PM   #8
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

It actually does stress out the front diff, tires, tie rod ends, ball joints, pinion ect when the VC is bad. It gets progressively worse so it happens over time so after a while when it gets more worn out it could very well damage all of those things with pavement driving.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-25-2013, 02:32 PM   #9
pageman
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
I just bought a new VC from here.

newtozj return the vc STAT!!!!!! i just did my vc from them and im only 1k mile on it and its already failed. i sent them an email to get another or resolve the issue and i have no responce youy might get lucky but now i have nothing but the middle finger for them.

i figure if a part fails yah it happens( i sell parts as well so failures even on the best parts are bound to happen) but 1k down the road on my first 300mile trip that is just crap and no effort to resolve my problem is an insult
pageman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-25-2013, 02:39 PM   #10
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

I got one from Transparts over two years ago and it's still doing great. I called them and they seemed like nice folks.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-25-2013, 11:12 PM   #11
NewtoZJ
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pageman View Post
newtozj return the vc STAT!!!!!! i just did my vc from them and im only 1k mile on it and its already failed. i sent them an email to get another or resolve the issue and i have no responce youy might get lucky but now i have nothing but the middle finger for them.

i figure if a part fails yah it happens( i sell parts as well so failures even on the best parts are bound to happen) but 1k down the road on my first 300mile trip that is just crap and no effort to resolve my problem is an insult
There's a 90 day Manufacturer warranty on it, and I bought it with a credit card, so I am covered.
NewtoZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-26-2013, 05:07 AM   #12
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pageman View Post

Hope they resolve your issues . I don't think I have seen anyone's VC fail that fast before . Bad part , let's hope the service is better . Keep us updated .
newfieZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-26-2013, 06:16 AM   #13
pageman
1995 ZJ 

There is NO WARRENTY. I talked to nick last night and his excact words "i cant give you warrenty because you are not a local shop that i know installed it properly and deal woth on a day to day basis. Even if my manufacture finds that there was a defect as soon as they ask what shop installed it and i say a shop dident do it they wont honor it right then and there." He latet went on to keep.preaching that "iv sold almost 200 of them this year with no issue so its not a defect." Fine 199 where great but mabe just mabe 1 was defective. There is no way to know if a new vc is good untill you instal and drive since its a non servicable item. Even tho im ase cert and have my own moble tech service he was of no help,i even told him ill send my new one back so you can see yourself but i again got the run around so now i swapped in a 231
pageman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.