249 to 242J? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 249 to 242J?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 11-13-2011, 07:06 PM   #1
zslave
1998 ZJ 

249 to 242J?

I found a complete 242J from a 98 GC 6cyl at the salvage yard today. My question is can I use it to replace my 249 in my 98 GC v-8(5.2)? It is getting cold here and I have little $ and less daylight lately to do the swap. I am going back tomorrow to get the tc, rear driveshaft and shifter etc. From what I can tell by reading this site, it is basically bolt in, other than the info center and linkage. Am I far off thinking this? Thanks for any help. I just want to be sure I am not getting over my head considering the time of year and my lack of a warm garage.

zslave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2011, 07:45 PM   #2
Foundrydude
1995 ZJ 

I don't think you need the rear driveshaft. Since you're matching the model year the yoke should be the same. Measure yours before you go to avoid spending un-necessary dollars.

good luck
Foundrydude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2011, 07:51 PM   #3
KingtheZJ
1998 ZJ 

yes it is bolt in. likely the 242 has an external slip yoke which means it is 1.5" longer than the 249. so you will want to get the rear driveshaft from the donor.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.