247-242HD swap help - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 247-242HD swap help

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 02-12-2009, 09:46 PM   #1
reconbyfire

247-242HD swap help

Ok so I want to swap to the 242HD out of the 02-03. I have a 99 4.7 limited.

The only issue I have is all the yards in my area seem to know nothing about any of the 4x4 systems at all. They will list the same axle or transfer case for all of the differant systems.

Is there a part number stamped or any other way of knowing for sure that I am walking away with the right TC and driveshafts?

Thanks

reconbyfire is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-12-2009, 09:52 PM   #2
GraKee99
Rapist Wit

1999 WJ 

car-part.com

Probably one of the best spots to pick one up. Just find one you like and call the salvage yard, they will probably ship it.

WJ, WK, CJ5

Colorado Jeep Club Member #188
GraKee99 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-13-2009, 12:27 AM   #3
reconbyfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraKee99 View Post
car-part.com

Probably one of the best spots to pick one up. Just find one you like and call the salvage yard, they will probably ship it.
Ive been using them for some years now.

Only problem is the way some of the yards are listing the parts.

Example-

Yard A has the same axle listed as selec-trac and then again as quadra trac and then quadra drive. Well it can only be one of those, it cant be all three.

I want to be able to verify the part is what it is listed as before I take it home. How can I be sure that this 242 transfer case is for the 4.7 and not the 4.0. How can I be sure the driveshafts I pick up are for the 4.7 with the 242.

Due to problems with yards in the past I pick up and inspect everything in person.
Unread 02-13-2009, 12:32 AM   #4
bigbluezj94
1994 ZJ 

i was going to swap a 242 into my 99 because my 247 had a hole in it from the chain but then i found another 247 cheap as heck. drove down to pheonix in a buddy's civic and checked it out. saved the shipping charges as i only spent 40 bucks in gas and i saw what i was getting before i paid for it.

found the case on car-part.com (figured id throw in the relation there) lol

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"][B]BigBlue build 3/4 ton axles, LAs, 37s [/COLOR][/B]
[B][U][url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=818891[/url] [/U][/B]

99 Grand Cherokee Laredo WJ, 4.7 liter, 247 Quadra Trac II, fully loaded

[color=Black][center][size=4][font=Showcard Gothic][color=Black][url="http://groups.jeepforum.com/Built_Not_Bought"][color=Black]Built Not Bought #033[/color][/url][/color][/font][/size][/center]
[/color]
[/CENTER]
bigbluezj94 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-13-2009, 06:21 AM   #5
nierace
2003 WJ 

The 242HD has a long aluminum tail cone so it is easy to distinguish it from the 247 and standard 242 just by looking at them. It also has a 32 spline rear output...
sira4x4.net North East Offroad Club
www.carolinadriveline.com
www.ironrockoffroad.com
kolak@aol.com
nierace is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-13-2009, 08:41 AM   #6
regginblack

If your 242 still works and you want to sell it and the rear driveline I know some that is swapping out their 247 for a 242 *edit* dammit I just reread your post and realized your doing a 247 to 242 swap. Me too. And here I was getting all excited I just found a 242. Never read forums using your cell phone as your browser while riding a train to school. Ha ha.

Last edited by regginblack; 02-13-2009 at 08:55 AM..
regginblack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-13-2009, 01:27 PM   #7
reconbyfire

Quote:
Originally Posted by regginblack View Post
If your 242 still works and you want to sell it and the rear driveline I know some that is swapping out their 247 for a 242 *edit* dammit I just reread your post and realized your doing a 247 to 242 swap. Me too. And here I was getting all excited I just found a 242. Never read forums using your cell phone as your browser while riding a train to school. Ha ha.
Yeah I got the 247 now. Im replacing a lot of the 4x4 system. I got my front driveshaft out right now because my pinion bearings wont shut up and its driving me nuts. Some *** hat put a selec trac axle shaft in the box for a quadra-trac. Didnt catch it was about 1/2-3/4 shorter. It fit and ran fine untill the torque stripped the threads off the axle shaft sending metal threw everything.

Im trying to get comfortable with the D30 to do it myself, Ive never rebuilt one before.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.