242 no 4FT - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 242 no 4FT

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsWant to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under

Unread 08-01-2009, 01:59 PM   #1
skain8
Under Construction

2002 WJ 

242 no 4FT

Weird issue with my 242. I have 2WD, 4PT & 4LO, but no 4FT. It acts as if in neutral. It's not a linkage problem, b/c I pulled the linkage and manually changed positions and still no 4FT.

Shift fork problem? Is my case toast?

*looking to buy 3" springs or swap my 4.5" springs for your 3" springs -- PM me*
skain8 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-01-2009, 02:35 PM   #2
Minivan
2001 WJ 

Is there a detent for all positions, but it's acting like it's in nuetral in two of the detents?
Unread 08-01-2009, 02:40 PM   #3
skain8
Under Construction

2002 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minivan View Post
Is there a detent for all positions, but it's acting like it's in nuetral in two of the detents?
Yes, detent for all positions, but only the 4FT detent acts like its in neutral.

*looking to buy 3" springs or swap my 4.5" springs for your 3" springs -- PM me*
Unread 08-01-2009, 02:43 PM   #4
nashmd454
1996 ZJ 

alright...a thread to watch. I too have had this problem...it starts to engage then pops out.
If GOD gave HIS only son for us...can't we at least give HIM an hour of our time a day.

[URL]http://photobucket.com/albums/v639/nashmd454[/URL]

[url]http://groups.jeepforum.com/The_Dark_Side[/url]
nashmd454 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-01-2009, 05:46 PM   #5
Minivan
2001 WJ 

I've looked at your info and it sounds like you have a 242 from the discription of mods, but I'm just trying to make sure it's not a 231. Definately not saying your wrong about the TC.

So it goes into nuetral and acts normally, then when it's in 4FT it also is in nuetral? It has FIVE detents correct, not Four. Is there any grinding noises while shifting with the engine running and trans in gear?

Nash> Yours pops out of gear? If so, it could be either worn syncros or a bent shift fork. Or a combination of the two. Might try lubing all pivot points in the linkage first, to weed out any possible binding issues in the linkage. This could also cause the TC to pop out of gear.
Unread 08-01-2009, 06:28 PM   #6
skain8
Under Construction

2002 WJ 

Yes, deffinately the 242. 5 positions: 2WD - 4PT - 4FT - N - 4LO. Goes into all positions smoothly, but when taking it out of 4FT (after just revs as if neutral), and try putting it in gear at another detent, there is a fast, higher pitched grinding sound, like rattling a can of marbles until the case locks into position. Neutral is fine.

Unread 08-01-2009, 06:36 PM   #7
unitypunk
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by skain8 View Post
Yes, deffinately the 242. 5 positions: 2WD - 4PT - 4FT - N - 4LO. Goes into all positions smoothly, but when taking it out of 4FT (after just revs as if neutral), and try putting it in gear at another detent, there is a fast, higher pitched grinding sound, like rattling a can of marbles until the case locks into position. Neutral is fine.
this has happened to me once or twice, sounds bad when that grinding sound happens i put it back in neutral and rocked the car abit and tried again and it went into gear fine.

dad said it was dirty/notused enough, thats why it happens.. dont know if i believe him.

have you ever gotten it in to 4FT previously?
Unread 08-01-2009, 09:14 PM   #8
vansskaterfreek
1998 ZJ 

check the fluid for metal particles?
Unread 08-02-2009, 12:38 PM   #9
nashmd454
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minivan View Post
I've looked at your info and it sounds like you have a 242 from the discription of mods, but I'm just trying to make sure it's not a 231. Definately not saying your wrong about the TC.

So it goes into nuetral and acts normally, then when it's in 4FT it also is in nuetral? It has FIVE detents correct, not Four. Is there any grinding noises while shifting with the engine running and trans in gear?

Nash> Yours pops out of gear? If so, it could be either worn syncros or a bent shift fork. Or a combination of the two. Might try lubing all pivot points in the linkage first, to weed out any possible binding issues in the linkage. This could also cause the TC to pop out of gear.
thank you very much...I rarely need the 4lo but will def look into that. It is too weird for me to be on here when the only problem I have with my jeep is that the rubber seal that insulates the rear hatch window is old and need to replace...well that and no rear defrost and driver heated seat and air only works in defrost mode and coolant sensor bad. oK SO i DO HAVE SOME PROBS BUT SERIOUSLY...COMPARED TO SOME MINE IS IN GREAT SHAPE. oppss...just saw caps was on.... sorry
If GOD gave HIS only son for us...can't we at least give HIM an hour of our time a day.

[URL]http://photobucket.com/albums/v639/nashmd454[/URL]

[url]http://groups.jeepforum.com/The_Dark_Side[/url]
nashmd454 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2009, 01:09 PM   #10
unitypunk
1996 ZJ 

lol my rear wiper dosent work

sometimes!!
Unread 08-02-2009, 02:12 PM   #11
Bama_WJ
2001 WJ 

http://s11.photobucket.com/albums/a1...t=100_1867.flv

Any of the sounds sound familiar to my video above? You can hear it the best towards the middle of the video. That was back when I had my original 242. It would pop out and gear and just act a fool most the time. Turns out the teeth on the inside were were ate up and chipped. Magnet was COVERED in metal shavings.

The Daily: 2011 Chevy Cruze Eco - Trifecta tuned and 37+ MPG

Wife's Jeep: 2006 WK Overland - OME HD Lift, 265/70/17 BFG AT's, 1.25" SpiderTrax wheel spacers, 3" Gibson Cat-Back

North Alabama Jeep
42RE Vent Mod - Seal your transmission!
YouTube. - My Video Channel
Facebook - Wheeling Pictures/Videos
The Jeep Wave. Bringing it back.
Bama_WJ is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2009, 05:14 PM   #12
vansskaterfreek
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama_WJ View Post
http://s11.photobucket.com/albums/a1...t=100_1867.flv

Any of the sounds sound familiar to my video above? You can hear it the best towards the middle of the video. That was back when I had my original 242. It would pop out and gear and just act a fool most the time. Turns out the teeth on the inside were were ate up and chipped. Magnet was COVERED in metal shavings.

this is why i say check the fluid, you should be able to tell without breaking the case apart....
Unread 08-02-2009, 05:42 PM   #13
skain8
Under Construction

2002 WJ 

Fluid is fine. Doesn't make sense to me, considering 4PT works fine.

Unread 08-02-2009, 06:03 PM   #14
Minivan
2001 WJ 

Hahaha, that pic remindes me of the rear diff fluid in the 5.9 i had. Same exact color, but in fluid form.
Fluid change turned into a full rebuild.

You might have to spilt the case and take a look. Not that bad of a job especially since it's lifted.

Or you could just tell your self it's got a 231 in it?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.