231 swap into V8 ZJ question - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 231 swap into V8 ZJ question

Ruffstuff XJ Unirail Channel Reinforcement....Rugged Ridge Modular XHD Snorkel Now for both 3.8L and 3.6RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 01-16-2010, 06:44 PM   #16
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwfjarhead View Post
if you swap plugs in the vic it will sense the mode. as far as the gear cut if the replacement t-case has the wrong one you cn order a new one from novak.
how will it sense the 4wd mode with no sensor? ESP?
the place where the 4wd mode switch is on a later tcase has the vacuum disconnect switch in an early 231. the hole is physically different from the later sensors.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zew View Post
Not to steal the thread... but i'm actually in the market for either a 5.2 limited or a 5.9 limited. It would be hella nice to convert them to the 231 t-case and not have full time quadratrac 4x4.

Has this swap been done before?
thousands of times.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2010, 11:03 PM   #17
JrMechanic

1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmonkey View Post
how will it sense the 4wd mode with no sensor? ESP?
the place where the 4wd mode switch is on a later tcase has the vacuum disconnect switch in an early 231. the hole is physically different from the later sensors.

thousands of times.
It depends on what year 231 it is and what it came out of. Mine was out of a 94 ZJ and it had the provision for it.

Also, you can replace the vacuum disconnect switch with a mode position switch in earlier 242's and 231's. The thread size, pitch, and depth is the same from the 249 sensor, and both switches operate in the same manor.
Unread 01-17-2010, 02:47 AM   #18
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrMechanic View Post
It depends on what year 231 it is and what it came out of. Mine was out of a 94 ZJ and it had the provision for it.

Also, you can replace the vacuum disconnect switch with a mode position switch in earlier 242's and 231's. The thread size, pitch, and depth is the same from the 249 sensor, and both switches operate in the same manor.
i thought we were talking about the 1991 231 the op was using?

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-17-2010, 06:49 AM   #19
Technohead
Old School

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by newfieZJ View Post
Thanks man , 3 yrs on forums , and no one ever mentioned this bolt on case for our 93-95 V8 GC's . The reference was good

Gonna be a tough one to find though . Not many YJ's ever make it to the bone yard here
Just to clarify, 93-95 were the "bad years" for ZJ transfer case swaps; all sorts of different input shaft lengths, gear cut changes, yada, yada, yada. The OP was asking about swapping into a 97 ZJ.
Technohead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-17-2010, 06:51 AM   #20
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technohead View Post
The gear cut change is irrelevant unless you are swapping input shafts.

ZJ's from 96-98 all have a 0.84" input shaft. The OP said he has a 231 from a 92 YJ. If you check the references, for example Drivetrain.com, you will find that this 231 has a 1.55" input. That same reference will show that 96+ Cherokee 231's all have a 0.84" input shaft. Go find one of those and bolt it in. Done. No worries about gear cut or any of that crap.
I've done some searching (obviously I want one), although the listing states a 1.55 exposed input shaft , it may be a typo . Here's a pic of a 92 YJ 231 . This was pulled from the classified on this forum

Maybe the OP can reply with the measurement on his , I'd like to know before I start pulling cases at the JY.
img_1291-1.jpg  
newfieZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-17-2010, 12:13 PM   #21
jopolly3

2013 JK Wrangler 

haha yeah that is my NP231 I was talking about...

I was trying to sell it then noticed the 249 was acting up. If it doesn't fit its still up for sale...

2013 JKU Rubicon 6spd: ARB Dana 44 covers F&R, Expedition One front bumper & swaybar skid, Hella driving lamps, JKS adjustable track bars F&R, MBRP SS off-road exhaust, OME HD springs and shocks, OME relocated SS, Rock Hard 4x4 gas tank skid, Rock Hard 4x4 oil pan skid, Rock Hard 4x4 rock sliders, Rock Hard 4x4 transfer case skid, Spidertrax wheel spacers, Superwinch LP8500 Gen 1

2002 Subaru WRX: Cobb intake, Mishimoto aluminum radiator, Kartboy short throw shifter and bushings

1960 CJ-6: Never ending project rig

Build Threads:

JKUR - http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/j...hread-1522982/

CJ6 - http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f8/jo...hread-1347975/

WJ - http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/...auren-1033184/

"BFG makes some good rubbers, if they sold condoms I'd buy them" -Owen Horner
jopolly3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.