220,306 miles: RIP Jeep. - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 220,306 miles: RIP Jeep.

6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!50 in light bar /A pillar mount less than 500 at JeepHut.cFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 05-13-2013, 07:02 PM   #16
96zedjay
1996 ZJ 

Matt, Gotta learn how to weld someday....

96zedjay is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2013, 07:09 PM   #17
BuzzZJ9er
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickDickle

I mean totaled totaled not insurance company totaled haha
I gotcha. Lol
BuzzZJ9er is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2013, 07:34 PM   #18
ZJMatt
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by RIPNBST View Post
You keep referring to the DS like it's the end all. A DS from a JY is cheap. I understand why you don't want to do it but if it would net you a Toyota in fair condition you better believe I'd be hunting down a DS.
I told him and he said no problem. His cousin works at a junkyard...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
Drive shafts are like 30 bucks at the JY. Maybe less.
Junk yards must be cheap down there... up here you're looking at $50 minimum.
Unread 05-13-2013, 08:13 PM   #19
underpowered
Bouncin' on a Budget

1998 ZJ 

either off roading stuff is way to easy where you are or you are not looking hard enough for a challenge. while these rigs are capable even with slight mods, there were many things my old ZJ simply could not do, even with me driving it like a rock bouncer in some cases, WFO on the rev limiter sawing the wheel like a mad man.

I would keep it, build it, and beat it. sounds like nothing is that hard of a fix. and with a MIG welder, anyone can weld with some practice.

2000 powerjoke tow pig

Anti-jeep--1989 K5 blazer. the new off road ride
underpowered is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2013, 08:34 PM   #20
ZJMatt
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by underpowered View Post
either off roading stuff is way to easy where you are or you are not looking hard enough for a challenge. while these rigs are capable even with slight mods, there were many things my old ZJ simply could not do, even with me driving it like a rock bouncer in some cases, WFO on the rev limiter sawing the wheel like a mad man.

I would keep it, build it, and beat it. sounds like nothing is that hard of a fix. and with a MIG welder, anyone can weld with some practice.
Much of the wheeling up here is fairly easy. That's because anything LEGAL are "Class VI Roads" which are old town roads that maintenance has been discontinued on, but are still public roads. Therefore they're pretty well-used for the most part and have a fairly packed road base. I also have very high standards of what I consider difficult.

If I wanted to wheel illegally, there are all kinds of nasty trails that people trespass on and run all the time. I'm not doing that.

If I travel about an hour west out to the NH / VT border the Class VI roads start getting more interesting because of the numerous hurricanes that area has seen in recent years. But that's too far for me to go all the time. Wasn't so bad when my best friend lived out there but now I have nothing else to do out there and don't have anybody to go with. Everyone else says its too far too.
Unread 05-13-2013, 09:21 PM   #21
underpowered
Bouncin' on a Budget

1998 ZJ 

Got ya. we only have a few unmaintained roads around here, the majority of wheeling is all in private parks so the difficultly level is much more than what i would expect you would find up there.

2000 powerjoke tow pig

Anti-jeep--1989 K5 blazer. the new off road ride
underpowered is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2013, 02:59 AM   #22
BuzzZJ9er
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZJMatt

Much of the wheeling up here is fairly easy. That's because anything LEGAL are "Class VI Roads" which are old town roads that maintenance has been discontinued on, but are still public roads. Therefore they're pretty well-used for the most part and have a fairly packed road base. I also have very high standards of what I consider difficult.

If I wanted to wheel illegally, there are all kinds of nasty trails that people trespass on and run all the time. I'm not doing that.

If I travel about an hour west out to the NH / VT border the Class VI roads start getting more interesting because of the numerous hurricanes that area has seen in recent years. But that's too far for me to go all the time. Wasn't so bad when my best friend lived out there but now I have nothing else to do out there and don't have anybody to go with. Everyone else says its too far too.
I'm will hopefully be wheeling northern part of vt this year. We got some class 4 roads that the little stream bridges washed out on.
Unread 05-14-2013, 08:50 AM   #23
ZJMatt
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by underpowered View Post
Got ya. we only have a few unmaintained roads around here, the majority of wheeling is all in private parks so the difficultly level is much more than what i would expect you would find up there.
We've got over 1000 miles of them in NH. Just the majority of them can be done in a stock vehicle with A/T tires and good line choice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzZJ9er View Post
I'm will hopefully be wheeling northern part of vt this year. We got some class 4 roads that the little stream bridges washed out on.
Vermont seems like the total opposite of NH. I'm just over an hour from Brattleboro and I bought my new ZJ about 10 miles south of there. Went looking for some Class 4 (Equivalent to Class 6 in NH) and couldn't find ANYTHING down there. But you hop the border into NH and the Keene general area has some of the best wheeling in the state. 2 weekends ago I was staying in Thetford VT and found a bunch of class 4's right around there. Not difficult but much different than NH. You cross into Lyme NH and there's a few, but anywhere north of Lyme I haven't had any luck. It seems like in VT there are more class 4's up north, whereas in NH once you get north of Concord and especially past Plymouth, they start getting few and far between.
Unread 05-14-2013, 03:14 PM   #24
BuzzZJ9er
1998 ZJ 

Ya up my way if you plan your route you can jump from class 4 to class 4 with minimal dirt roads in between. Some rocks but mainly mud.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.