220,306 miles: RIP Jeep. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 220,306 miles: RIP Jeep.

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete Building a Bumper?

Unread 05-12-2013, 08:30 PM   #1
ZJMatt
1998 ZJ 

220,306 miles: RIP Jeep.

Went to a giant Mudder's Day event today. Note I'm not one to tear up the trails or illegally trespass on private property. This was an event where the landowners built a huge pit for today. They own around 100 acres with other logging trails, and invited all kinds of people over. I went there expecting 10-15 people just messing around in the back field... when I showed up there had to be at least 200 people down there with mega trucks going back and forth and being pulled out of the pit.

Out behind the big pit was a "mini pit" where some of the smaller trucks were going through. I played recovery vehicle out there and on the back trails for most of the day. Recovered a bunch of trucks, offered my tools to fix a bunch of busted trucks, gave a bunch of jump starts.

My jeep was running, just getting done giving a jump, and a girl (who I knew) comes up to me and says "your jeep isn't even muddy, lets go!" and she jumps in the drivers seat. Here we go, through the mini pit. While we're out there turning around to come back through a second time one of the mega trucks comes through and tears 3ft deep ruts all through it. So obviously we get stuck, get pulled back, get stuck again, get pulled back, get stuck. So I get in the driver's seat and got it moving back and forth about a foot and about that time start hearing a rotational banging noise and someone comes up and says my rear wheels aren't turning... so we ended up calling another truck on 44s over to pull my jeep out of the mini pit.

From there not only did it make out through the muddy back trails and out off the property in front-wheel-drive, but I put a Zip Lock bag over the slip yoke output and wrapped it tight with electrical tape so the fluid wouldn't leak out of the t-case and drove it an hour home. It earned its name as "The Little Jeep That Could" once again.

In the past 2 years of hard wheeling, there's only been 1 time that the jeep hasn't made it home on its own power. But there's not much you can do when you blow two tires and only have one spare. Gotta say I'm gonna miss this thing. It just never gave up, and was unstoppable in the woods. But with a cracked (welded) frame, severe rocker & a-pillar rust, a cracked windshield, dents in every body panel, and now no rear driveshaft, it's time to move on. I'll never get to see just how many miles that little 4.0 would go. I won't get to reach my goal of 222,222.2 miles. But it's been super reliable up until now. 2 weeks ago I put over 1000 miles on it in a week with no issues.

I have my new jeep now (98 ZJ, 5.2, 4.5" RC lift). That one will get wheeled, but I'm not sending it through mud pits, not letting anyone else drive it, and not taking it on tight trails. And it's getting sliders before it sees any rocks bigger than a basketball.

Trying to pull it backwards...

One piece...

Little stubby

Unread 05-13-2013, 06:08 AM   #2
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Scrapping it over a 50$ drive shaft?

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2013, 06:57 AM   #3
ZJMatt
1998 ZJ 

If you read the post I explained that. The driveshaft was the straw that broke the camels back. With 2 cracks in the frame, no lower a-pillars, a good portion of the rockers gone, a broken windshield, etc. It isn't worth the money to put into something that will never be street legal again. I was going to run it until inspection runs out in September but not anymore.
Unread 05-13-2013, 07:18 AM   #4
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

I'd still put the 50-75 into it to get it by for the full length of the inspection. Unless you've got something else to drive already.

And remember, girls will always get your jeep stuck and broken.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2013, 10:49 AM   #5
96zedjay
1996 ZJ 

Sounds like it's just getting broken in. Time to start welding sh*t on it and turn it into a real wheeler.
96zedjay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2013, 11:37 AM   #6
ZJMatt
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 96zedjay View Post
Sounds like it's just getting broken in. Time to start welding sh*t on it and turn it into a real wheeler.
Meh. The way it's built right now, I could count on one hand how many trails I haven't been able to do. I have to drive an hour to even have a challenge. There's no point in building it any bigger.
Unread 05-13-2013, 11:40 AM   #7
ZJMatt
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmonkey View Post
I'd still put the 50-75 into it to get it by for the full length of the inspection. Unless you've got something else to drive already.

And remember, girls will always get your jeep stuck and broken.
Like I said I have a new ZJ. A 1998 V8 already with a 4.5" Rough Country lift. I've been daily driving it for a week now but it needs a new front driveshaft to have 4WD so it's just a mall crawler for now. Good thing the rear shaft is the one that broke on the old jeep.
Unread 05-13-2013, 11:56 AM   #8
eagsc7
1994 ZJ 

Shoot... that sucks. My dads XJ was in a wreck at about 700k(2 motors) when it went to the junk yard. My ZJ is at 294K, and our XJ is at 260. Grab a welder and start havin fun doin stuff that most of us only dream of...

Out Jeepin, usin the Mobile App
Unread 05-13-2013, 12:28 PM   #9
ZJMatt
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagsc7 View Post
Shoot... that sucks. My dads XJ was in a wreck at about 700k(2 motors) when it went to the junk yard. My ZJ is at 294K, and our XJ is at 260. Grab a welder and start havin fun doin stuff that most of us only dream of...

Out Jeepin, usin the Mobile App
I've never welded before. A friend of mine was going to trade me for a 98 Corolla (or maybe that was the drunk-him talking). His dad has been a welder for 40 years. For someone who knows what they're doing, it's repairable. Needs more time and skills than it does money to get it back roadworthy. But that was before the driveshaft deal that he was interested.
Unread 05-13-2013, 12:38 PM   #10
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Drive shafts are like 30 bucks at the JY. Maybe less.
PolkaPower is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2013, 12:46 PM   #11
RIPNBST
2004 WJ 

You keep referring to the DS like it's the end all. A DS from a JY is cheap. I understand why you don't want to do it but if it would net you a Toyota in fair condition you better believe I'd be hunting down a DS.
RIPNBST is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2013, 05:21 PM   #12
BuzzZJ9er
1998 ZJ 

I would put a JY DS in and do use it for what u just did. My wife's woods ZJ ain't pretty at all but functional and probably will never be road legal again either. That's just me but then you could take care of the new ZJ and flog the old one.
BuzzZJ9er is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2013, 05:33 PM   #13
DickDickle
1996 ZJ 

I've broken every single thing on my zj except the motor I once had rusted out rotted rockers, spent a saturday and welded up some new ones I have also killed both drive shafts if you have a bond to it I say keep it I just hit 290,000 Saturday morning on my way to go topless day my zj would have to be totaled before I gave up on it
DickDickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2013, 05:38 PM   #14
BuzzZJ9er
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickDickle
I've broken every single thing on my zj except the motor I once had rusted out rotted rockers, spent a saturday and welded up some new ones I have also killed both drive shafts if you have a bond to it I say keep it I just hit 290,000 Saturday morning on my way to go topless day my zj would have to be totaled before I gave up on it
My wife's has been "totaled" and still haven't given up yet. It's still a young buck with around 190k on the clock(5.2).
BuzzZJ9er is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-13-2013, 05:45 PM   #15
DickDickle
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BuzzZJ9er View Post

My wife's has been "totaled" and still haven't given up yet. It's still a young buck with around 190k on the clock(5.2).
I mean totaled totaled not insurance company totaled haha
DickDickle is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.