202,000 miles still running. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 202,000 miles still running.

FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGSmittybilt Products at Oconee Off-Road!

Unread 08-11-2011, 04:38 PM   #1
stormer1092
1994 ZJ 

202,000 miles still running.

Does the oil pressure seem alright? Its at idle warmed up with 10w-30 oil and a wix oil filter. Was wondering what you guys would recommend to bring it up slightly seems a little low to me.

jeep-forum.jpg  
stormer1092 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2011, 04:41 PM   #2
BlackDaddyZJ
1994 ZJ 

looks very low compared to mine, mines generally on the exact opposite side of the guage.i use lucas oil stabilizer when i do my oil changes and that seemed to bring up the pressure a little bit and it has quieted it down a little bit too.
IRO 4.5" Lift
35x12.5 Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ's

98 5.9
Restored and daily driven
BlackDaddyZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2011, 04:43 PM   #3
jreyes0a39oz
1998 ZJ 

thicker oil, mine has 250k on it everything still originall
jreyes0a39oz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2011, 04:45 PM   #4
stormer1092
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDaddyZJ View Post
looks very low compared to mine, mines generally on the exact opposite side of the guage.i use lucas oil stabilizer when i do my oil changes and that seemed to bring up the pressure a little bit and it has quieted it down a little bit too.
i usually use high mileage oil but that doesn't seem any higher. I was thinking of using lucas. Does that help with dry starts? Seems like every oil filter I use i get the occasional dry start. Seems like every oil filter company is getting cheaper.
Unread 08-11-2011, 04:48 PM   #5
BlackDaddyZJ
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormer1092 View Post
i usually use high mileage oil but that doesn't seem any higher. I was thinking of using lucas. Does that help with dry starts? Seems like every oil filter I use i get the occasional dry start. Seems like every oil filter company is getting cheaper.
im not surre if it helps with dry starts so im not going to say anything on that. i just use mopar oil filters from the dealership.i tried using k&n filters but i decided to go back to mopar for cost purposes.
IRO 4.5" Lift
35x12.5 Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ's

98 5.9
Restored and daily driven
BlackDaddyZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2011, 09:27 PM   #6
Buzz98zj
1998 ZJ 

Dry start? How would you know?
Unread 08-12-2011, 12:06 AM   #7
BlueDevil
1995 ZJ 

I'd say it's not warmed up - at least by judging from the temp gauge. On the othe hand, looking at the oil pressure gauge seems warmed up. If it's like that when idling, but when you start to drive it goes up, then it's all normal. When engine is warm enough and idling, oil pressure will go down, but will also go up when you hit the right pedal. All of the cars I ever had did that, always.
Unread 08-12-2011, 02:02 AM   #8
corndogduff

Mine sits there at idle too, as long as you have good pressure while running revs and under a load, you're fine. Remember, this IS a Chrysler electronic part we're talking about, in other words the gauge is a best guess
UT Jeepcrew #13
NIGHTCREW
corndogduff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2011, 07:03 AM   #9
JrMechanic
1993 ZJ 

The basic, minimum rule of thumb is 1 psi for every 100 rpm. The average 4.0 could go down to 7-8 PSI at idle and not have any issues. More oil pressure is almost always better, but on a high mileage engine you're doing fine.

If you're worried about it, I would verify it with a mechanical gauge. If it still shows on the low side, try using a higher viscosity oil or just drop the pan and throw a new pump in it, odds are your rear main is leaking and needs done anyways.

A new pump will definitely help but don't expect factory numbers as your main and cam bearings are most likely showing their age slightly.
Unread 08-12-2011, 07:29 AM   #10
Pugulis
1996 ZJ 

Looks fine to me. It goes up when you drive right? Remember the factory gauges in any vehicle (especially older ones) are for show only. The auto industry realized a long time ago that people would pay more money for a gauge than for a light. Even though the gauges are not at all accurate. I guess they're helpful. But I bet you they've caused more problems than they've solved. People will look at a gauge showing low/high temp or oil pressure and because of this start to replace parts that don't need replacing. How many times have you read that someone thought something was wrong because the gauge was showing low or high something. Then after replacing this part and that part and so on, the gauge still showed the same thing. So don't sweat it. It's fine.
Unread 08-12-2011, 08:10 AM   #11
JS97ZJ
1997 ZJ 

Just for the record, a filter is just a filter. Unless it is extremely clogged, it 's not going to effect oil pressure. It's job is to hold back unwanted contaminates from wearing out the engine prematurely. So the the more efficient the better.

I was a little surprised when I read this awhile back............
oil.png  
JS97ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2011, 09:30 AM   #12
02Lightning
1995 ZJ 

Just food for thought here, when I changed my oil sender my gauge started reading a mark lower on the gage. So I wouldn't put too much trust what the gage is showing. If you start hearing valve train clatter at idle or the gage reads zero then I would do some worrying.
Unread 08-12-2011, 10:03 AM   #13
stormer1092
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDevil View Post
I'd say it's not warmed up - at least by judging from the temp gauge. On the othe hand, looking at the oil pressure gauge seems warmed up. If it's like that when idling, but when you start to drive it goes up, then it's all normal. When engine is warm enough and idling, oil pressure will go down, but will also go up when you hit the right pedal. All of the cars I ever had did that, always.
it is warmed up my jeep never gets hotter than that. I just did a full service on the coolings system replacing hoses and coolant.
Unread 08-12-2011, 10:06 AM   #14
stormer1092
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz98zj View Post
Dry start? How would you know?
You know how your engine makes a noise when you first change the oil and prime the filter? That noise.
Unread 08-12-2011, 10:12 AM   #15
stormer1092
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrMechanic View Post
The basic, minimum rule of thumb is 1 psi for every 100 rpm. The average 4.0 could go down to 7-8 PSI at idle and not have any issues. More oil pressure is almost always better, but on a high mileage engine you're doing fine.

If you're worried about it, I would verify it with a mechanical gauge. If it still shows on the low side, try using a higher viscosity oil or just drop the pan and throw a new pump in it, odds are your rear main is leaking and needs done anyways.

A new pump will definitely help but don't expect factory numbers as your main and cam bearings are most likely showing their age slightly.
i do not think my rear main is leaking i do not loose any oil what so ever?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.