2006 V6 Grand Cherokee Laredo Rear Differential Noise - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 2006 V6 Grand Cherokee Laredo Rear Differential Noise

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 07-25-2006, 08:18 AM   #1
strdotmatt

2006 V6 Grand Cherokee Laredo Rear Differential Noise

Hi Folks,

I bought my Jeep brand new from a dealership here in CT in February of this year... with less than 100 miles on. My work destination changed so I ended up putting on about 9k miles up until two weeks ago... at which time, I let my brother (a mechanic) take my 'baby' on a road trip to Florida and N. Carolina.

Well, my brother gets into Florida and calls me to say there's some rather noisey 'clunks' coming from under the car and that he's going to take it to the dealership to have them look at it (its got about 10,000 and change miles on it now). The dealership says it's the rear differential and that it needs work/replacement and that they will do it under warranty, but since the cars still drivable, my brother decides to bring it to the dealership when we get back instead.

Now, he's brought it back to TWO dealerships up here in CT and they says its "normal". I just drove the car last night, and it only made the noises for maybe 2 minutes total out of my 30+ minute driving. I tried it around town and also on the Highway and it only did it briefly around town.

The transmission/drivetrain/whatever (i'm not a mechanic) made NO NOISE when I bought it, and it definitely doesn't sound normal when the noises occur. To me, it sounds like a 'clicking'... almost like a CV joint that's gone bad, but it comes from the rear of the vehicle.

Should I press the issue with my dealership? It's been only about 5 mo. since I bought the G.C. and it's got 12,000miles. I would HOPE this type of noises won't become the standard on my baby.

Thoughts / Suggestions?

Any and all would be appreciated.

Best Regards,
Matthew

strdotmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2006, 09:26 AM   #2
BlaineWasHere
BecauseRacecar

Go to a different dealer and see if they will do the work.
Unread 07-25-2006, 09:45 AM   #3
nierace
2003 WJ 

I'm not sure where in CT you are, but if you go to Georgetown I'm pretty sure they'll take care of it, you just might have to wait a little while before they have a opening in the service dept. Give them a call if you're near them, in Wilton.

Most dealers love this because they get paid from Chrysler...doesnt make sense that the other dealer wouldnt fix it without hesitation...
nierace is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2006, 09:47 AM   #4
BlaineWasHere
BecauseRacecar

Quote:
Originally Posted by nierace

Most dealers love this because they get paid from Chrysler...doesnt make sense that the other dealer wouldnt fix it without hesitation...
Yea Agreed... If they can get the work done quicly they can make a decent amount of money on a warrenty repair.
Unread 07-25-2006, 01:22 PM   #5
strdotmatt

thanks folks for the responses....

1) most / if not ALL of my other repair works that were UNDER WARRANTY (for other vehicles) were covered fine.. and like you said, they get paid back by the main-office so they shouldn't care if its miniscule or not...

2) I just found the paperwork, where the complaint was (my brother brought it in) "csr complains of loud clicking noise when accelerating"... response shows "road tested, vehicle performed fine"...

so perhaps they just didn't thoroughly test it?

Also, and semi-most-importantly... is this a "known" issue or has anyone else had problems similar to this? I was hoping to post mainly to see if others have had similar or heard of similar problems.
strdotmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-25-2006, 01:26 PM   #6
nierace
2003 WJ 

Is it a consistent problem? Like everytime you drive it it does it ? Take one of their mechanics with you for a ride and when it makes the noise tell him thats what you're talking about...I've done it before
nierace is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.