2005 Grand Cherokee front diff leaking - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 2005 Grand Cherokee front diff leaking

JK Front Lower Adjustable Control Arms!QTP Low Profile Cutouts Now @ MarylandSpeed- Free ShippingOPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!

Unread 09-21-2005, 10:03 PM   #1
klaymon

2005 Grand Cherokee front diff leaking

This is the wife's ride. I was under it changing oil at 6,000 and noticed the right side of the front diff was "wet". I wiped a finger on it and it was oil. There was nothing on the top half of the diff housing so it had to be from the diff itself. I had the dealer pick it up at her work and they return it with a work order that says "Normal seepage, no repair required". You mean this gasket/seal can't hold fluid for more than 6,000 miles? BTW, they wiped it down nice and clean to return it.

Fast forward to the 12,000 mile service interval. I crawl under it to change oil and now the whole bottom half of the diff is covered in oil. This can't be right. How do I push the issue of getting this fixed when the dealer won't cooperate? Should I try to do this myself? Do I need to contact Chrysler? Is this par for this vehicle?

klaymon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-21-2005, 10:24 PM   #2
driabyor
1994 ZJ 

they should have a customer service hotline....

ford does and their's got me immediate results.....
i got a letter from ford instructing the dealer to fix it or else..
the best part was when i went back to the dealer .... he meet me a the door....
i had wrote Vantage Lemon on the tailgate . it was parked on the main drag for about a month.
he said that i was no longer welcome at his dealership..... i said whatever ... and walk on in to the service manager. with him a rantin.. i handed the letter to the service manager.. he wasnt very happy either after seeing the letter.. but guess who's vehicle got priority..... and FIXED

look online i'm sure that jeep has a customer service number...
driabyor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2005, 05:10 AM   #3
brandoncrone
1996 ZJ 

Defined by the manufacturers...leakage is anything that is forming a droplet, seepage is wetness not forming a drip. Just for your information, just wanted to let you know what they go by. As far as I am concerned, when I fix a vehicle whether its wetness or dripage, it gets fixed. They don't want to fix it under warranty because most shops, the techs are flat-rate and warranty time does not pay well. So if they can get away from fixing something under warranty they will try.
brandoncrone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-22-2005, 10:25 AM   #4
gregmondro

it's a new car. If they want to try and tell you you need to pay to get it fixed, raise hell. It's a simple job, but you shouldn't be the one who has to fix it on a new car you just paid them for...
99 Jeep XJ - NP231, SYE, 4.56's, Rear D44 w/ Detroit SoftLocker and a RockCrusher Diff Cover, 35x12.5 BFG A/Ts, RE 5.5" XD Lift, Skidrow TC Skid, ORT Rear Bumper + Carrier, Rigidco Front Winch Bumper + Steering Box Plate, Milemarker 8000 Winch, Rock Sliders, HD Currie Steering, Control Arm Skids, Goferit Tie Rod Flip Insert, Optima Red Top and a few other goodies...
FiveZeroFive
XJ 8.25 Rear End Disc Brake Conversion For Sale!
gregmondro is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.