2005 Grand Cherokee - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > 2005 Grand Cherokee

Great prices on seating!--Oconee Off-RoadTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGTJ, YJ & LJ Drop Down Tail Gate Conversion Kit

Unread 07-07-2005, 05:08 AM   #1
compuz1

2005 Grand Cherokee

Hi,
I have the new Grand Cherokee limited. I have had severe problems with this car compounded with TERRIBLE service from my "5-star" dealer (in Nassau County, LI).

1.) A week after taking delivery of the car, the 4 way knob on the navi system fell off with little pressure. Dealer had to order an entirely new system - took a month. Set a return date and when I brought my car back they infomred me they knew nothign about my problem but they would hav ethe part in "one or 2 weeks." A month and two weeks later I had full use of my NAVI/Radio system.

2.) Battery has mysteriously died twice in the winter (car is used on avg. once per day). It is parked in a garage. Had to go back to dealer each time to be "reprogrammed".

3.) Odd transmission problems. I know that people have had some acceleration lag, however it has been getting worse. It is now a very jerky ride and in the past 2 months has been impossible to ignore (even when other people drive the car). Dealer says car is fine... This is NOT how it was delivered to me or how I test drove it.

4.) Last week my air conditioning started blowing HOT air only in a very hot Long Island summer. Dealer said that its not major and I should drive the car ANYWAY! A fully loaded car and I shouldnt have working aircon! They had to order a gasket because "all gaskets are on backorder". My car is ther for an indeterminite period of time... Had to pull teeth for a loaner and even then only after they denied they issued loaners! Got a 02 GC as a loaner the next day and guess what the keys said? "XXX XXX Jeep Loaner Car"! The only reason they would admit to giving me a loaner (besides me reminding them that they told me it was available when I bought this car and my last car from them), is because I threatened to have my lawyer call them and invoke the lemon law. All the sudden I have a loaner!

This car has been to the dealer at least once a month since purchase. The dealer is rude and unhelpful.

Is there a number to call or action any of you would take?

I like to buy American and to buy Jeeps, but at the price of a BMW, I would get better service from them!

compuz1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2005, 05:45 AM   #2
RAZZMANIAC

Sorry bout all the problems. . .but as far as the bad service from the 5 star dealership. . ive had the same problem with my 97 and rude dealership and them not being able to find OBVIOUS problems that other shops can find and then blaming me for things they have altered without my conscent. . . call Daimler Chrystler and make a formal complaint. . . maybe with more and more complaints about dealerships, they will crack down on the MORONS that are "spossed" to be MOPAR certified techs.
Love my Jeep and want a new one, but with the problems ive had with the dealership, i just MIGHT go foreign.
Unread 07-07-2005, 07:47 AM   #3
ArloGuthroJeep
Mr. Hyde!

2004 WJ 

Dealers are hit and miss, being a 5-star dealer really doesn't seem like much it seems to me (my dealer is great). I wouldn't just threaten to invoke the lemon law, I would use it. If these are the problems you are experiencing now you are most likely just going to have more down the road. Go get a freshy if this truly falls under the lemon law.

-Ryan
Unread 07-07-2005, 07:56 AM   #4
HemiWay

compuz1,
I sympathize with your problems but you do live in a part of the country where rudeness is not that uncommon. As bad as your dealer is, have you tried taking it to another one? That is what I would do if I were in your shoes. As far as your transmission problems, do you have the Hemi? If so there is a know problem with hesitation on some WKs that DC is aware of and supposedly working on a solution. You might want to visit the WK forum over at Jeeps Unlimited where there has been some discussion of this issue.

BTW my WK Hemi has had absolutely no problems in the six months I have had it other than a recall to fix the programming for the fog lights.
HemiWay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2005, 04:23 PM   #5
RyanZJ
1998 ZJ 

IMO you were kind of asking for these types of problems when you bought the first year of a completely re-designed vehicle.

As far as the dealer experience goes, have you tried going to another one? Why would you keep going back to the same dealer if they are treating you so badly?
'51 CJ-3A

RyanZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2005, 04:41 PM   #6
Animal Mother

that might be the only dealer around. I know of only two dealerships that sell jeeps in dallas.
Unread 07-07-2005, 05:02 PM   #7
michiganmaveric
Got Beer?

2011 JK Wrangler 

Write/Call Chrysler about the dealer and your problems, also I urge you to file a complaint with the NHTSA. If there are enough people complaining about a certin thing on a certin vehicle they will investigate it. It also gives people looking to buy a new car a heads up about problems.

If you don't have time to do it right the first time, how do you have time to do it over.

Lifetime member #13

www.militaryjeepers.com lifetime member/airforce26yrs

2011 Tango/Mango JKU
michiganmaveric is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2005, 05:20 PM   #8
soldierguy
2012 JK Wrangler 

Nobody asks for problems on a vehicle whether they're buying the first or last year of a model run, or anywhere in between. People buy new vehicles so they will hopefully not have to deal with problems, and if there are problems, the warranty and the dealer are supposed to take care of them. So no offense, but telling someone they're asking for problems is just not helpful.

Mine has been pretty much trouble-free. I've got the light throttle surging that some have noted, but mine is so mild and intermittent that I'm not going to do anything until DC has identified a fix for it. It's so mild and intermittent that it doesn't bother me at all in daily driving. But some have it worse than mine, and some have no problem at all. Some think it might be MDS-related, some think it's a transmission programming issue...not sure what the right answer is.

On your other issues...not sure what to say. Those have not been common complaints that I've read about anywhere. Most common complaint I've read about is the mild surging/hesitation. Other than that, most people's experience seems to be about what mine is...pretty much trouble free.

Good luck on getting yours fixed...hope that Jeep can work to make you happy.

2012 Wrangler Rubicon 2-door
2009 Aprilia Dorsoduro 750
2008 MV Agusta Brutale 910S
soldierguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2005, 07:34 PM   #9
HemimanNYC

Thank you soldierguy

In 1999 the new wj arrived and unfortunately had some problems. To assume that a new version of a jeep in 2005 will have simaler problems is simply ignorant. My Hemi has been wonderful and other than a rear wiper not working - I am very very happy. Not only that where are all of the recalls ???

Former Vehicles
[B]2000 Jet Black JGC 4.7WJ Ltd. [/B]
Quadradrive I
Sidesteps/illuminated
K&N Air intake and Filter
265/75 Coopers

[B]1992 Black Wrangler Sport 4.0 [/B]
K&N filter & Intake /30' Coopers
600Watt Kicker Amp + 12'pyle SubWoofer
6 Sony Speakers
Sony faceplate (remember them?)
HemimanNYC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2005, 01:30 PM   #10
jeepejeep
2005 WK 

Sorry to hear about your problems. I have a 2005 Laredo with the 4.7 and so far no problems. I also live in Nassau and if it's the dealer in Valley Stream, GO TO ANOTHER DEALER!!!! They are horrible! Try Garden City Jeep. I bought a '93 from them and they're great. Good luck.
jeepejeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-27-2005, 02:08 PM   #11
RyanZJ
1998 ZJ 

Why did you bring up a half year old thread?
'51 CJ-3A

RyanZJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.